Clarendon at Cardiff

Weskie

Two weeks to go until this show and I've not seen it mentioned anywhere except in the calender!

So I'll bring it to your attention and say that I'll be there with 'Clarendon' and the rest of the Leamington and Warwick crew.

I'll leave you with a taster and hope to see you there.

post-1223-0-96903800-1318192485_thumb.jpg

"Trade stands and various railway societies." it says...

Including the Scalefour Society. Terry Bendall and I will be there with the Society stand, and in addition to Clarendon there will be two other P4 layouts, Eccleston and Cheddar. If you're planning a visit do stop by and say hello, P4 modeller or not.

All the Best

Danny

Yes, the Cardiff lot are not the best at getting the message out - I'm not sure where I picked up Clarendon is there, but I've altered my commitments to be there on the Saturday, just as my Children (and Grandchildren) are arriving from Oz, Denmark and USA to see me - this has required some dilicate negotiations, including I expect a big drain on the wallet!

...... the Cardiff lot are not the best at getting the message out ......

Unfortunately, you're right.

This was my only (slight) criticism of last year's show - even though the standard of modelling was the best at any Cardiff Show I can remember.

However, last night I came by a floor plan for the forthcoming Cardiff Show, and this is a precise

The following layouts will be on display:-

In the Foyer

Maidwell 'OO'

Waun-gron Parc 'OO'

West Porton 'OO'

In the main hall

Sweethome Chicago 'HO'

Ynysybwl 'EM'

Clarendon 'P4'

7mm Colliery ropeway

In Room AO.21 (ground floor)

Wales, Rails & Steel 'OO'

Minster 'OO'

Penfold Priory 'O'

First Floor

Eccleston 'P4'

Cheddar 'P4'

Wansbeck Road 'N'

Demonstrations

Geoff Kent

Geoff Taylor

Ian Rathbone

None of these chaps need any introduction, neither does their work.

Suppliers etc

South Gloucestershire Models

Eileen's Emporium

Finishing Touches

Rikocraft

Lendon's

Pontypool & Blaenavon RPS

Des Sheppard

Lord & Butler

Oakwood Press

Cardiff Trolleybus Group

Scalefour Society

Eric Bottomley

The show is Saturday 22nd/Sunday 23rd October at the UWIC (University of Wales Institute,Cardiff) Llandaff Campus, located on Western Avenue between the junctions of Cardiff Road and the Gabalfa Interchange.

There is parking at the campus, it is pay and display, (even for me-so I'll probably walk !) and there will be a free vintage 'bus service to and from Cardiff Central Station but ONLY on the Saturday (22nd).

My apologies if I've missed anyone, or any information.

Whilst not directly involved in the organisation, my club is one of those involved, and I can be caught taking your money at the door, or on car park detail if not elsewhere (Waun-gron Parc or Minster for example).

Brian R

Last year's show was really good and this year seems to have a superb array of finescale layouts again.

I'd agree it doesn't seem to get enough publicity for the amount of excellent layouts attending.

If I get the chance to pop down that weekend i'll try to come along.

I think I may have seen the details through a contact at the Welsh Railways Research Circle (WRRC) AGM,

I asked why they didn't have a stand at this show, you can't get more Welsh than the Cardiff Show.

I did get an answer, but that's outwith this Forum.

Penlan (WRRC Membership number 004).

I think I may have seen the details through a contact at the Welsh Railways Research Circle (WRRC) AGM,

I asked why they didn't have a stand at this show, you can't get more Welsh than the Cardiff Show.

Funny that - the WRRC have always attended the show in the past.

Brian R

Has Tudor been saying the group is large enough again? :lol:

I'll have to check with David if I need to pay my membership again..

The Welsh Railways Research Circle use to be a regular attendee at the Cardiff show until they decided not to turn up at the 2009 Cardiff show despite being booked in and having had some of their equipment delivered to the show. They now attend the Carmarthen show that is on the same weekend as the Cardiff show.

Unfortunately, you're right.

This was my only (slight) criticism of last year's show - even though the standard of modelling was the best at any Cardiff Show I can remember.

However, last night I came by a floor plan for the forthcoming Cardiff Show, and this is a precise

The following layouts will be on display:-

In the Foyer

Maidwell 'OO'

Waun-gron Parc 'OO'

West Porton 'OO'

In the main hall

Sweethome Chicago 'HO'

Ynysybwl 'EM'

Clarendon 'P4'

7mm Colliery ropeway

In Room AO.21 (ground floor)

Wales, Rails & Steel 'OO'

Minster 'OO'

Penfold Priory 'O'

First Floor

Eccleston 'P4'

Cheddar 'P4'

Wansbeck Road 'N'

Demonstrations

Geoff Kent

Geoff Taylor

Ian Rathbone

None of these chaps need any introduction, neither does their work.

Suppliers etc

South Gloucestershire Models

Eileen's Emporium

Finishing Touches

Rikocraft

Lendon's

Pontypool & Blaenavon RPS

Des Sheppard

Lord & Butler

Oakwood Press

Cardiff Trolleybus Group

Scalefour Society

Eric Bottomley

The show is Saturday 22nd/Sunday 23rd October at the UWIC (University of Wales Institute,Cardiff) Llandaff Campus, located on Western Avenue between the junctions of Cardiff Road and the Gabalfa Interchange.

There is parking at the campus, it is pay and display, (even for me-so I'll probably walk !) and there will be a free vintage 'bus service to and from Cardiff Central Station but ONLY on the Saturday (22nd).

My apologies if I've missed anyone, or any information.

Whilst not directly involved in the organisation, my club is one of those involved, and I can be caught taking your money at the door, or on car park detail if not elsewhere (Waun-gron Parc or Minster for example).

Brian R

Just to let people know, the car park charges for the weekend are only 50p.

The Welsh Railways Research Circle use to be a regular attendee at the Cardiff show until they decided not to turn up at the 2009 Cardiff show despite being booked in and having had some of their equipment delivered to the show. They now attend the Carmarthen show that is on the same weekend as the Cardiff show.

Many thanks for the explanation.

There's not many Shows in South Wales during the year, so same weekend........

See on Saturday.

PS - I would like to bring the layout Penlan over to Cardiff Show in 2014 for our last Public Outing Ever, can you PM me please, or we can chat on Saturday?

Many thanks for the explanation.

There's not many Shows in South Wales during the year, so same weekend........

See on Saturday.

PS - I would like to bring the layout Penlan over to Cardiff Show in 2014 for our last Public Outing Ever, can you PM me please, or we can chat on Saturday?

It would be a pleasure to retire Penlan at the 2014 Cardiff show. Speak with you on the Saturday. There is a bring and buy at the show so if you have any items bring them along.

Some feedback on the Cardiff Show - the quality of layouts and demonstrators was excellent (I admit to some bias here being a member of one of the organising groups, although not on the committee) and from the feedback we have received, our visitors thought this was one of our best ever shows. Sadly though attendance was down on last year by around 25%. Sunday was especially quiet because of the clash with the Rugby World Cup Final; other probably factors, the weather was warm and sunny (drizzle is bets for model railway shows) and the recession hitting spending power. The lower attendance is a worry as the organisers are trying to raise the standard and appeal more to committed modellers rather than just families and on this basis, Eileen was persuaded to attend but obviously Derek Russan needs the numbers to make it financially worthwhile.

John, another problem may have been the Taunton Show, agreed not a significant number from over the Severn would have attended Cardiff, but it is easier to do Taunton than Cardiff if you live East and South of Bristol when they are on the same weekend.

Further, there was a Show in West Wales. I think the World Cup didn't help though.

I enjoyed the Cardiff Show, but then it was a Social do for me too. I will post a few photo's later (when I find my Camera).

I agree with the above 2 comments. It did seem a bit quiet when I visited yesterday pm, quieter than last year. Such a shame because I feel it was probably the best Cardiff show in years. The layouts were top quality in my opinion. The down side of that is that it shows up my scant modelling abilities!! However it does give inspiration and motivation when you see standards of modelling like that. Nice to see modelling friends too.

I spoke to a couple of traders who were not doing much business.

All in all an excellent show indeed, and I hope that it was a profitable experience for the organisers, and hope that the downturn in attendance will not have a detrimental effect on next year's show. Hopefully the economy will be a bit better then.

Tony

First of a few photo's :-

Hoarding on Ynysybwl - Jnct of High Street and Clive Street (The old pub plot?).

post-6979-0-17893100-1319470887.jpg

Then a shot of Cheddar - I couldn't get any closer due to the crowd...

post-6979-0-33897400-1319471302.jpg

A nice wharehouse on Eccleston, I thought this was a good shunting layout, plenty of sidings and stock, but if I was an operator, I would much prefer having auto-couplings than the 3 link being used, especially all day (2 days) at an exhibition - yes I know my layout's all 3 link too, but it has a lot less shunting potential, and I'm working on auto's.

post-6979-0-30322900-1319472636.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I was very taken with that hoarding as well, Sandy!

I agree with the other comments - it was very quiet on the Sunday, which was a shame given the quality of the layouts, which were all at least good and interesting. Perhaps a big continuous run layout, with a lot of action, might have been an idea, although one suspects the basic problem is one of communication, rather than the selection of layouts. I'm not sure I'd have known of this exhibition if I wasn't already plugged into the local scene and aware that the Cardiff show happens around this time of year.

• RMweb Premium

John, another problem may have been the Taunton Show, agreed not a significant number from over the Severn would have attended Cardiff, but it is easier to do Taunton than Cardiff if you live East and South of Bristol when they are on the same weekend.

I would certainly have made the journey over from Burnham on Sea if the show had'nt been the

same weekend as Taunton , it is to difficult to justify two days out on the same weekend dspite the

relatively short travelling time and distance . A pity as there were a couple of layouts that I really would

have like to have seen .

Does the date reflect some form of half term availability as it's an educational venue ? This is the

reason for the Taunton show dates .

Does the date reflect some form of half term availability as it's an educational venue ? This is the

reason for the Taunton show dates .

Uni's dont have 1/2 term breaks from what I remember (my lecture attendance was never great anyway!). There did seem to be lecture moved signs on the rooms used too (did we ever work out what podopediatrics was?).

Did anyone take any pictures of the ropeway, I completely forgot and can't find any online to show someone it :(.

Cheddar - overview

post-174-0-59783500-1319511062_thumb.jpg

Clarendon - the prototypical workings of the shed, goods yard and station were fascinating to watch. I understand the layout is being extended soon as well with carriage sidings where the fiddle yard was.

post-174-0-91991200-1319511081_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-32636000-1319511097_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-51257500-1319511158_thumb.jpg

I had a good chat with the builder of this Martin Finney 2800 that was running on Clarendon which was helpful for my own build. The inside motion is great to watch.

post-174-0-77438500-1319511342_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-14807100-1319511351_thumb.jpg

Wansbeck Road was a particular favourite and I intend to try out the Electra coupling on my own 2mm wagons.

post-174-0-54926700-1319511264_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-94942400-1319511278_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-78020400-1319511287_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-39426500-1319511296_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-42323300-1319511310_thumb.jpg

Taken late on the Sunday - Geoff Kent and Geoff Taylor demonstrating.

post-174-0-75728600-1319511172_thumb.jpg

Some of Geoff Kent's wonderful buildings for his new layout.

post-174-0-21805700-1319511235_thumb.jpg

Archived