BRM November 2009 issue

grahame

My Novemebr BRM arrived today. In fact it was more of a huge package of goodies that included the November magazine (a bumper issues at 204 pages), the 2010 BRM annual (164 pages and listed exclusive to WHSmith for ??6.95) and two, yep two, CDs (The Gresley Beat and Kendale). Excellent value. Should be worth taking on holiday tomorrow as reading material.

G.

Is the Gresley Beat cd only for subscription members only as I know the annual is. I only got the Kendle cd with my copy bought from Smiffs

The annual is sent to members as part of their subscription package but has always, from the first issue, been available from W.H. Smiths for general sale. The 2010 issue is priced at ??6.95 and does include the Gresley Beat DVD.

Arthur

:angry: %^&%&, it will not make it to me before I go on holiday by tomorrow. B) .. It will turn up 2 days after I have left here in Australia..... means I will have some reading when I get back in 3 weeks! :D :D :D

Gresley Beat article was good, as were some others, but.............. The numerous pages devoted to the MRC's anniversary in both magazine and annual, and the white metal articles seemed very 'padded' to me. Photos of a loco or coach build to show potential problems and the solutions are useful I feel, but the "here is a vehicle kit with all the bits, here it is part built, here it is finished, here it is painted, didn't really show anything you couldn't get from a set of instructions.

I've had BRM since Vol.1 No.1, but I think this will be the last year. In future I'll dip in and out if I'm interested as the issues come into our newsagents.

I have no idea how BRM has done it. They have got me the November issue and the Annual in one nice heavy pack to me BEFORE I go on holiday...... :D :D Talk about one happy holiday, I will probably enjoy the air flights as well now :D

I hope Richard is able to sit back and smile now this lot has gone out!

I hope Richard is able to sit back and smile now this lot has gone out!

I'm pleased it has gone out although I know of a few people who haven't received their copies yet...maybe postal problems. Hope the issue proves enjoyable, shame you can't watch the DVDs on the plane Doug!

Now to the task of getting the next 3 issues ready before Christmas! Whew!

I'm pleased it has gone out although I know of a few people who haven't received their copies yet...maybe postal problems. Hope the issue proves enjoyable, shame you can't watch the DVDs on the plane Doug!

Now to the task of getting the next 3 issues ready before Christmas! Whew!

Hi Richard,

I've also posted on the old, familiar RMWeb, but I'll repeat the essence here - bought both the November issue and the 2010 Annual in my local Smith's this morning - the cover DVD on the Annual is not the heavily promoted 'Gresley Beat' but one titled 'Western View'?

This did happen with a number of the Annuals. PM me your address and I'll send you the Gresley Beat DVD.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response. When I tried to PM you the screen went darker and nothing else happened, so I'll revert to the old RMWeb and PM you from there (I hope).

Guest eddie reffin

Woohoo - I have had an article publishedbiggrin.gif 3 page feature in the 2010 Annual about the clubs involvement in restoring a layout to the Local Market Hall. Not exactly finescale mindwink.gif

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

The two DVDs are excellent giveaways. I was anticipating a 5 - 10 minute taster but both are at least 25 minutes long and very enjoyable. The two featured layouts are very different in their modelling approaches, despite both being built around large pre-nationalisation themes. Gresley Beat has lots of grime and overgrowth - it's very much a layout done with scenery in the modern style, and weathered locomotives, whereas Kendale looked - and I mean this in a nice way - more like something from the Peter Denny era, something that might have been built to a very high standard 40 or 50 years ago. The stock is shiny, the grass looks like dyed sawdust, but it's got a charm and cohesiveness all the same.

Top marks!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response. When I tried to PM you the screen went darker and nothing else happened, so I'll revert to the old RMWeb and PM you from there (I hope).

Hi

I have also PM you on the old forum re Gresley Beat . Can you confirm you recieved message

thanks

Mick

Well Richard,

I have made it home and watched both DVD's and enjoyed both. Well done to Tony Wright as it always has a chanse of being dull in the conversation bits. He did well getting both of the owners to talk about what they had done in an entertaining way. I would suggest that a change of music is needed as with jet lag I kept falling asleep in the Gresley Beat.... :rolleyes: I would love to see the "beat" in person it is exactly the prototype and era I like!... I will just have to settle for the DVD on this side of the world!

Guest TomTank

I picked up the November Issue and the Annual Issue, and have really enjoyed them both.

The highlight for me was the DVD on 'The Gresley Best' a layout I had seen the odd photos of, but had never seen in action.

The DVD did not disappoint. It was informative as much as anything with some good advice on the scenic side.

I have yet to watch the DVD that came with the November issue, but I intend to asap!

Thanks again chaps for some great work! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just bought the November issue today. (That's how long it takes to arrive).

When I tried to view the CD on my television it told me that I was in the wrong area.

I'll look on my computer (it's set to the British area) but I would prefer to see it on the big screen.

And I'm not quite ready to buy an all-zones DVD player.

Archived