siphon H which bogies?

Thanks 10800, I did try a search but it didn't like the single H for some reason (probably showing my computer illiteracy now)

The first topic is quite useful, the second as you say is more siphon G and actually has some of my own posts and pictures on the second page.

Does the Airfix/Hornby Sihon H have the correct bogies or should it have the American type 9 foot, or maybe they were changed in later life. If so which bogies did they finish up with?

I have no idea what bogies the Hornby model is fitted with, but according to Slinn the first 17 were built with 9' coil spring bogies and only the last three had 9' American from new. However many of them were later retro-fitted with the 9' American type (by c1930 about half of them) while, just to confuse matters a few were fitted with 7' 'heavy' type bogies - including some that had already been changed to American.

What number is model you have, and what period?

Thanks for the replys Adrian and wagonman.

These are as fitted

DSCN5840.jpg

The numbers on both my models is 1429 one is BR brown the other maroon livery, so one will need renumbering.

DSCN5841.jpg

Would this be better?

DSCN5843.jpg

The period I model is the early 60s so I guess the Siphon H would be on its last legs by then.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replys Adrian and wagonman.

These are as fitted

DSCN5840.jpg

The numbers on both my models is 1429 one is BR brown the other maroon livery, so one will need renumbering.

The period I model is the early 60s so I guess the Siphon H would be on its last legs by then.

Worse than that : 1429 was withdrawn Dec 1956! It does not appear to have had its bogies changed at all. I don't know if anybody does a kit of the 9' coil spring bogie.

All bar two of the Siphon H had been withdrawn by the end of 1960 so you may need to move your period back in time a smidgen. Nos 1439 and 1441 were both built with 9' American bogies, which they kept throughout, and were withdrawn during 1960. No 1430 was converted to 9' American at some time (probably c1930) and seems to have the last one in revenue service when withdrawn in Nov 1962 so would seem a likely candidate for one of your models. You're right in thinking that none of them were ever fitted with BR Mk.1 bogies as the manufacturers seem to think!

All this from Jack Slinn's book on GWR Siphons; the book has a number of errors but I don't know of any in this section. As there were only 20 siphons H they were quite rare birds. Hope this has been of some use.

Edited by wagonman
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

All this from Jack Slinn's book on GWR Siphons; the book has a number of errors but I don't know of any in this section. As there were only 20 siphons H they were quite rare birds. Hope this has been of some use.

Talking of the errors could someone post up the pdf of corrections here? I think Rod sent it to me previously but I forgot to save it out of my inbox before ntl switched to using google for mail and I lost it :(.

I was surprised at just how long the sheets of corrections actually were!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
You're right in thinking that none of them were ever fitted with BR Mk.1 bogies as the manufacturers seem to think!

The Airfix/Hornby bogies are, I believe, Collett 9' pressed steel, not BR Mk1s.

The bogies fitted to the Airfix/Hornby OSF SIPHON G and H are GWR 9' plate frame as fitted to coaches in the late 20s. The Lima ISF SIPHON Gs run on BR MK I s (fitted with 11.5mm dia. wheels - these have to go!). All have the sides and roof as a one piece moulding.

• 3 years later...

For what it's worth I've just created and 3d printed some American Bogies. Two variants one Lima fitting the other Airfix/Hornby

Hornby

GWR American Bogie  - Hornby/Airfix Fit

Lima

GWR American Bogie - LIMA Fit

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth I've just created and 3d printed some American Bogies. Two variants one Lima fitting the other Airfix/Hornby

I think you need to fix the shape of the equalising beam, but otherwise nice work.

800px-GWR_%22American%22_type_equalised_

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GWR_%22American%22_type_equalised_bogie_(6901708506).jpg

With reference to your comment on your Shapeways store about wanting photographic evidence that the American bogies were fitted to inside framed Siphon G, Plate 55 in the Slinn/Clarke book shows just that. Unfortunately the caption is missing so not sure if is an O33 or O59.

I think you need to fix the shape of the equalising beam, but otherwise nice work.

800px-GWR_%22American%22_type_equalised_

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GWR_%22American%22_type_equalised_bogie_(6901708506).jpg

With reference to your comment on your Shapeways store about wanting photographic evidence that the American bogies were fitted to inside framed Siphon G, Plate 55 in the Slinn/Clarke book shows just that. Unfortunately the caption is missing so not sure if is an O33 or O59.

For some reason, the caption is on the foot of the preceding page. The vehicle is 2070, a 033, rebuilt to 059 specification when converted back from Ambulance Train service. It was withdrawn in December 1962. There is a second inside-frame Siphon G with American bogies in Plate 60, shewing W1332W. This was a BR-built 062, which was eventually withdrawn in January 1983. Sadly the photo isn't dated.

Thanks for the info (and photos. I have to admit I base the appearance on someone else's long out of production kit as I needed a match. However I have been thinking of making a version that doesn't need brass bearings so I'll use 57XX's photo to update the model. However, it may be some time before they are available as I will need to print them successfully myself before Shapeways lets me put them up for sale

• Like 3

I actually liked the fact that you made them to use brass bearings :) What were you thinking of for an alternative?

My thought was to make a so called version that doesn't need bearings at all. I've assumed uploaded the 3D model and will need to print before it goes on sale, but that will probably be in a months time when I get paid from real job. This will also give me time to re-do the version that needs bearings. Below is a preview:

GWR 9' American Bogie Hornby Airfix Fit Mk2

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you’ve been following my K’s A31 auto trailer/E116 saga in kit’n’scratch (sounds like a toy for cats), and paying unreasonably sharp attention to my Cwmdimbath layout topic, you’ll have already spotted what I have just realised; that I own a pair of K’s American bogies incorrectly previously attached to the A31 and currently homeless.  And that I have an antediluvian but still functioning Mainline Siphon H.  

If I can use the K’s merkans under the siphon H, which only requires a number change, 1429 to 30, 39, or 41 to be suitable, it’ll increase the biodiversity of my layout’s bogies.  Guess what Johnster’s gonna have a go at before bedtime!

I’ll eventually replace them with the much better Stafford Road/Shapeways prints, but they'll ‘do’ for now... 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Van rides too high on the K’s bogies, but I haven’t given up altogether, just deferred the idea until I send my next order to Shapeways; these have the benefit of NEM mounts at the correct height!