Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Will hell freeze over before anyone does a Bullied Leader Class?

mattog

• RMweb Gold
On 17/04/2019 at 15:07, D9020 Nimbus said:

Hell (the one in Norway that has a railway station) freezes over every winter!

Having flown into Trondheim airport - which is effectively next door to the village of Hell - several times this year; I can confirm that back in February the temperature was minus 15 degrees Celsius, which even the locals consider a bit fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Seven years ago:

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2012 at 13:03, pete_mcfarlane said:

But is Hell endothermic or exothermic?

...I know, I'm a bit slow...

The following is an actual question given at a University of Washington chemistry mid-term examination.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it..

Bonus Question:

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law,(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some suitable variant.

One student, however, wrote the following :-

"First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions  state that if you do not belong to that religion you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell : Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay constant, the volume of  Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1) If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell  breaks loose.

2) If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls entering Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until all Hell freezes over.

So, which is it ?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa Baston during my freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not  succeeded with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze."

{The student received the only "A" awarded for that examination.}

• Like 8
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now that hit topic is well and truly reconstituted,  AFAIK, there have not been any models of 18000, 18001, either, which at least had more running time between them and being ex GWR likely more popular.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2019 at 12:55, billy_anorak59 said:

Seven years ago:

...I know, I'm a bit slow...

The following is an actual question given at a University of Washington chemistry mid-term examination.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it..

Bonus Question:

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law,(gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some suitable variant.

One student, however, wrote the following :-

"First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions  state that if you do not belong to that religion you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell : Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay constant, the volume of  Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1) If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell  breaks loose.

2) If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls entering Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until all Hell freezes over.

So, which is it ?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa Baston during my freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not  succeeded with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze."

{The student received the only "A" awarded for that examination.}

He should have received an A minus; the reasoning is fundamentally sound but is predicate on two uncertainties.  Firstly, he has only not succeeded in sleeping with Teresa Baston yet, and hence may do so at some future date having become immensely more sexually attractive to her as a result of winning the lottery, and furthermore, secondly, she may be mistaken in her own belief that Hell's temperature, which by the way she only states as being cold and not freezing over, will be cold should she sleep with our hero; it may be cold, but not freezing, anyway whether she sleeps with him or not.

I am thus unable to place any credence in the University of Washington's standards of academic rigour; they have fine students no doubt and I am sure that Ms Baston is a very desirable woman if a student of this undoubted ability fancies her, if a bit too fussy IMHO, but the examiners have been lax here; a full A is not warranted.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

All railwaymen know that Hell is freezing, because you can't get anywhere near the fire for drivers...

The replacement bus service isn't doing much better either.  Chris Rea has just phoned to complain he's stuck on the road to Hell.