Bachmann class 20s to DCC, capacitor removal?

chris_irl

Hi,

I've a couple of Bachmann class 20s, and a 24 which I'll be converting to DCC in the next few days.

A couple of guides I've come across when checking which way round the chips goes suggested to cut the capacitor out altogether to improve DCC running.

Will this affect the locos if I ever need to remove the chip and run the DC again? Is the same recommended for the 24 (and Hornby 141)?

Also I'm using Gaugemaster standard decoders for these (DCC20), they have a spare green and purple wire that come from the chip but are not connected to the harness. The instructions classify them as spare also. Should these be left in place for any reason or can I snip them off to tidy it up?

Thanks in advance

TBH most if not all of my RTR locos haven't had the capacitors removed and work damn fine. This includes the 20, 24,25, 47, 55 etc and various steam locos.

If the DCC20 says that a wire is spare then insulate the end but I think that it's a function wire - see small sheet that came with the chip.

Looking at http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc20.pdf you can snip green/purple.

The only negative affect of removing capacitors when running on DC is a very small risk of increased interference from the layout. If your neighbours have a really crap TV aerial this might mean they are watching "strictly fuzzy picture". For most people this won't happen, and if you run the any home-assembled kit locos I doubt they will have capacitors fitted !

The removal of capacitors for DCC running is one of those "it can only help" issues, but combined with "in some locos, the effect may be extremely subtle". The capacitors makes the sensing of BEMF from the motor much harder, consequently the decoder will find it more difficult to control the motor. But, many decoders are surprisingly good at coping with the presense of capacitors, so for a lot of models any improvement will be miniscule.

- Nigel

Does anyone know whether the switch from conventional analogue television to digital will affect the potential for interference? I know the risk of interference dropped dramatically when television switched from the original VHF system to UHF.

My 20s run fine without chopping the capacitors , though it's possible they might run even better still if they were removed(On the other hand I suspect the ROD needs it doing )

• RMweb Premium

Forget the possibility of interference from DCC chipped locos to TVs of any type.

It's likely to be much lower than an unsuppressed DC loco!

If you read the full specifications I think you will find the circuitry on the chip includes components to suppress interference anyway.

Keith

As has been said, removing the capacitors can only enhance the performance of DCC equiped locos.

It will never affect in a negative way.

If locos run OK with caps in and your happy, leave them in.

But, if in doubt, take em out.

Cheers

Ian

Archived