Modelzone Ltd Longmoor Military Railway 0-6-0 Diesel 'Basra'

Stephen Lacey (92245)

Just picked up one of these from Model Zone for £69.99, which to be honest is a little more than I would ideally liek to pay for a Bachmann 08 Gronk, but it is a cracking little model.

Will attempt to et a few shots on here over the weekend, but don't hold your breath!

Nice paint job - but will be interesting to put it up against the Bachmann WD 2-8-0 and the Hornby Austerty 0-6-0STs to see whether we now have three different shades of LMR Blue.....

Would be nice to see Model Zone do a Ltd Standard BR 20T Brake Van , or maybe the new SR Pill Box brake van in LMR livery to compliment the locos released so far.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sam,

Yes, it does have etched plates. Thanks for reminding me to look. I picked mine up from Modelzone in Bromley this morning. They appear to have at least one more in stock.

Stephen,

The blue is a very close match to Sir Guy Williams, which is darker than the Hornby version. However, given that blue paint can fade and that, apart from Open Days, Longmoor locomotives were not always spotless, I am now going to worry too much about the slight variations. If you want to see how filthy Longmoor engines could be, look at the colour film in the Pathe News library, especially the outtakes.

Tony

Thanks Tony

I looked at the pre-production model in the Signal Box a couple of months ago and wondered if we'd be getting the etched name plates as the printed ones are across the bonnet doors, hinges etc.

Looking forward to picking mine up tomorrow, particularly if it's a good match for 'Sir Guy'.

Sam

Shades of the Showman's Engine about the gaudiness, but very nicely rendered. Kinda symbolises the pride and esteem of the LMR. Great commission, well done MZ.

Am I tempted. No. But I daren't visit their Birmingham store for the time being, just in case :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Had not pre-ordered one of these locos but on my way up to London this morning on the Southeastern HighSpeed thought..... ummmm, maybe.....

Got the Victoria Line down to Holborn and popped into the Holborn Branch of Modelzone (having first turned the wrong way onto High Holborn after exiting the station.....). No Basra's were on display but on asking they said they had only arrived yesterday and were not yet on display. Was asked if I had a preorder and after checking what they had on preorder to what they had in stock they had a couple to spare.....one had a ride back home on the Highspeed.....

Found my Hornby LMR Austerity and decided on a pic:

post-586-0-43907900-1318708910.jpg

Had to use the flash which, of course, make the blue much lighter than it really is but is still shows that the Hornby version is a lighter blue than the Bachmann version. Now, where is Sir Guy Williams for a family portrait.......

Keith

Got the Victoria Line down to Holborn and popped into the Holborn Branch of Modelzone (having first turned the wrong way onto High Holborn after exiting the station.....).

Did the Victoria take the wrong stick at Finsbury Park and go down the Piccadilly? oops! :D

RP

• RMweb Gold

Did the Victoria take the wrong stick at Finsbury Park and go down the Piccadilly? oops! :D

RP

Ooops.....got my blues wrong :O :no: ......it was the Piccadilly to Holborn then Shanks' Pony to Leicester Square, Piccadilly to Green Park......and then the Victoria line to Vauxhall :danced: . Know I did use the Victoria Line :yes: :imsohappy: ........

Keith

It's a nice model and I am tempted with one to go with my Austerity 2-8-0 and 0-6-0 tank plus of course my repainted 8F in LMR blue (see my Hornby 8F thread).

I note that the compressor housing is missing on the rh side but there on the lh side - that's the only real difference that is noticeable between the LMS and BR class 08 versions - I think that one can just about get away with the smaller coupled wheels.

Archived