R023 Diesel depot

post-7403-0-86664600-1318684451_thumb.jpg

T023 Small Corner shops

post-7403-0-61538800-1318684700_thumb.jpg

T031 Shipping containers and concrete

post-7403-0-79489700-1318684858_thumb.jpg

T022 Small terraced houses (low relief) and roads

post-7403-0-55973400-1318685070_thumb.jpg

not low relief terraced houses, low relief shops, retaining wall (R013)

post-7403-0-37588000-1318685566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First off let me say Black Sheep that your Avatar brings back happy memories of England; several years ago we had a holiday in Yorkshire and my treat every night was from that Brewery. That is some excellent brew. Very hard to find over here in the States, though i do find it every once in awhile.

Now to your question for the Heavy card i use a "cold press illustration board" by a company called Crescent its medium weight .050-.060 it says. This is sometimes too thick in which case you can pull some of the card lamination off or if not thick enough layer it with some thin card stock. I usually line the card stock up with the width of the wall etc on the scalescenes sheet and see how the thickness compares with what is required for each piece. Its a bit fiddely but seems to work for me.

For the Light card i use card stock that goes through the printer so it prints right onto the stock. Then in the same manner as above will check to see if its thick enough, if not i just add another layer of card stock.

There are several other ways of doing scalescenes mention on rmweb, this one seems to work for me.

Happy building.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Glad to see someone who models so beautifully has had the same problems as I did getting the brick piles straight on the free model hut/store :whistle:

In seriousness, though, the kind of blend of urban & rural you have achieved is what I am aiming for. I think I'm becoming a bit handy at the kits (albeit in OO) and have been scratchbuilding using a combination of John Ahern's methods & Scalescenes techniques, but it will take a very long time until I can get close to your scenery which I have been enjoying on the other thread.

Thanks for sharing. You've given me some great ideas of how to fill some gaps on my layout!

• Like 1

just had a look on their website and some of their stuffs just what ive been looking for cant belive that i havent bothered looking on there before .now just need a printer lol

tesco (and others) can be worth visiting as they sometimes have printers in on special offer - make sure to check cost of replacement cartridges before buying a printer, some manufacturers market their printers cheaply and make up the difference on the ink - Lexmark, I'm looking at you.)

• Like 1