Gresley Buffet Cars in the 70s

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

That one certainly got about.  I first met it when it was based at Cardiff Canton and employed on Portsmouth workings.  Not only did it stand out being a Gresley on the WR but at that time it was freshly outshopped in b/g and often coupled in otherwise maroon rakes.  The fact of having mismatched letters also gained it some attention; there were numerous other examples but W----E always looked out of place to those of us accustomed to the SR units which were always S-----S  

Can anyone point me to a picture of this one, particularly on the Cardiff - Pompey service. I statrted my train spotting days in the early 70s in Warminster (see Warminster thread in my signature below) so it would be the obvious candidate for me to do in 2mm.

Jerry

13 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Can anyone point me to a picture of this one, particularly on the Cardiff - Pompey service. I statrted my train spotting days in the early 70s in Warminster (see Warminster thread in my signature below) so it would be the obvious candidate for me to do in 2mm.

Jerry

The 53A Models Flickr account has a few images of this vehicle including the following:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/34108460403/in/album-72157604142594351/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/35550032861/in/album-72157604142594351/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/38482787196/in/album-72157604142594351/

Edited by SP Steve
Additional links
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Rather unusual, though by no means unique, to have a buffet as the rear vehicle of any train.  It sometimes happened when portion working was in use and it also occasionally happened if the buffet in question was simply being attached to the train for the purpose of getting it from A to B (for example to / from workshops) or as extra capacity rather than as the catering vehicle. 

I did wonder after posting if it is actually being added to a rake as there are a number of people looking out from the drop lights as if they are heading towards something rather than leaving?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

I did wonder after posting if it is actually being added to a rake as there are a number of people looking out from the drop lights as if they are heading towards something rather than leaving?

I suspect you are right there.  There is some blurring of the image which is mostly in the vertical plane but just enough horizontal to suggest that the train is actually being propelled backwards to join another.  

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

There's a clip somewhere (probably from 'diesels and electrics on 35mm' and in one of Lewisham Bill's uploads in Vimeo) of a train going past at Teignmouth and the last vehicle is a maroon Gresley buffet.

I'll have to see if I can find it.

Edited by keefer
Correct location

• RMweb Premium

Found it:

At 17:40, a blue Warship hauling 1V67 and the last vehicle is a Gresley buffet

20200629_202231.jpg.48994357e872f42e7cffe6fc1ecefb78.jpg

The headcode being 1V67 would suggest an inter-regional working, so possibly cross-country from the ER?

EDIT: 1V67 in 1970 is the 06.28 Leeds City - Paignton but the carriage working doesn't match this train (it has an RMB 'in' the train)

(Apologies, i just realised the OP was asking about the '70s)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, keefer said:

Found it:

20200629_202231.jpg.29f05f36a9f56583e30d43466d76e2fd.jpg

The headcode being 1V67 would suggest an inter-regional working, so possibly cross-country from the ER?

EDIT: 1V67 in 1970 is the 06.28 Leeds City - Paignton but the carriage working doesn't match this train (it has an RMB 'in' the train)

Excellent film ,is it available on any other site such as YouTube and is there a part two?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, russ p said:

Excellent film ,is it available on any other site such as YouTube and is there a part two?

Worked out how to play on other devices now and found part two!

13 hours ago, keefer said:

Found it:

20200629_202231.jpg.29f05f36a9f56583e30d43466d76e2fd.jpg

Is it a working that might have split at Exeter, with a portion for Torbay, and the other for Plymouth/Penzance? This was certainly the way that some of the Inter-regional trains were worked in the early 1970s.; the announcer at BNS would tell people to travel in the correct portion. I was there one day when there's been some sort of problem on the normal route south, with trains being sent via Camp Hill, and thus in reverse formation. There was bedlam on the platform, as the pushchair and suitcase-wielding 'Torbay' crowd went one way, and the kit-bag carrying military personnel for Plymouth went the other, trying to squeeze past one another.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Is it a working that might have split at Exeter, with a portion for Torbay, and the other for Plymouth/Penzance? This was certainly the way that some of the Inter-regional trains were worked in the early 1970s.; the announcer at BNS would tell people to travel in the correct portion. I was there one day when there's been some sort of problem on the normal route south, with trains being sent via Camp Hill, and thus in reverse formation. There was bedlam on the platform, as the pushchair and suitcase-wielding 'Torbay' crowd went one way, and the kit-bag carrying military personnel for Plymouth went the other, trying to squeeze past one another.

At load 8 I reckon that’s a good call Brian!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 62613 said:

Is that even a catering vehicle? Lovely film; one of those where you're listening to the music and watching the trains going by.

It looks like there is wording in roughly the middle upper waist panel, and two adjacent whited out windows so I think it is yes.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 62613 said:

Is that even a catering vehicle? Lovely film; one of those where you're listening to the music and watching the trains going by.

8 hours ago, Bucoops said:

It looks like there is wording in roughly the middle upper waist panel, and two adjacent whited out windows so I think it is yes.

Yes, definitely a Gresley Buffet...

The legend can be seen mid-way along, and the two white windows beyond the far end door.

It's the side opposite the counter/pantry

Edited by Ken.W

On 28/06/2020 at 21:56, Artless Bodger said:

Easter vac 1976, I was on a geology field course, based in Torquay. Crossing the railway line on the way to Paignton and beyond I saw a Gresley (?) catering vehicle on a train passing underneath, I recall nothing else about the train except it was in blue / grey and had the square paneling immediately making me think 'LNER'. Would this have been on an excursion train? Though I'm pretty sure this would have been mid-week, so at that time of year excursion seems a bit unlikely. No camera of course :(

As this was mid-week then I'd think most likely a service train.

It was used around that time, as has been suggested above, on cross country (or NE/SW as then known) trains.

I remember, sometime mid-70s coming across it at Darlington, having traveled from Newcastle on the service train it was in, and being confused, at that time, by the 'W' number. It seems from previous posts that was the only Western allocated one.

On 05/01/2010 at 13:39, BrushVeteran said:

Whilst on this subject I am contemplating building a Gresley/GNR inspection saloon as it ended up DE340042 in 1963 period. Did this last until the blue era. I'm sure that I have come across a view of it on the High Dyke branch when Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle were on the line. I believe it was built in 1909 as Dia.10 43178 (3178) but may have this wrong.I hope it is still in preservation. Anyway any info on this would be most welcome and sorry to go off subject... slightly!

On 05/01/2010 at 15:44, DaveF said:

Hi Grahame,

Do you mean this photo?

post-5613-12627062023708_thumb.jpg

Sewstern D2381 Gresley inspection saloon SECR Pullmans Oct 73

Sory if it's a bit off topic, but it is a Gresley coach.

David

Thought I recognised it.

Yes, it is live and well, and operational for party bookings since 2005, usually attached to the teak set, on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

http://www.lnerca.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/43087_08-19.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've stumbled across a photo of W9135E at Bristol working its last service on the WR on 25/09/76 - a football charter from Weston SM to Liverpool. The caption says 4 days later it was transferred to the ScR via the 20.25 Bristol - Glasgow parcels service, for its final few months of service. The following issue (of RM) records E9129E dumped at Swindon works on 14/11/76.

On 20/10/2020 at 21:10, stovepipe said:

I've stumbled across a photo of W9135E at Bristol working its last service on the WR on 25/09/76 - a football charter from Weston SM to Liverpool. The caption says 4 days later it was transferred to the ScR via the 20.25 Bristol - Glasgow parcels service, for its final few months of service. The following issue (of RM) records E9129E dumped at Swindon works on 14/11/76.

I photographed E9129E still dumped at Swindon Works on 8/6/77.  Interestingly this vehicle was not listed in the 1976 RCTS Coaching Stock book, correct to 31/12/75, so it must have been withdrawn for at least a year and a half by then. Note that its running number had been 'struck through' and I wonder if a vandal aiming for a window was surprised to see his rock go straight through the side of the vehicle? At least we know it's not a rust hole! I don't appear to have made a note of the identity of the LMSR design sleeping car it's buffered up to.

I saw W9135E many times in the early 1970s, mostly at Reading. In 1980 I bought the Ian Kirk kit to recreate this vehicle to run with some repainted Hornby Mark 1 stock, with which I thought it would sit rather well as the glazing would be similarly inset, but I never got around to building the thing and 40 years later it's still stored in the loft [hangs head in shame!] I know one side requires significant modification but this should be easier to carry out on the kit before assembly than on the Hornby RTR model. I even bought a pair of Bachmann Gresley bogies to speed things up, back when they could be had for around £2/pair, but to no avail. The two excuses I'm sticking to are an initial lack of clear photo references, especially for the roof vent changes (still hard to find), and my small layout didn't really need a catering vehicle. So why did I buy it? Future aspirations, I like such oddball vehicles and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Was W9135E the only WR-allocated Gresley Buffet car? I'm sure I've seen a photo and/or reference somewhere to W9118E in maroon livery........

1383911589_770608_E9129ESwindonWorks.jpg.3f36b3f5eda15957a816b74fe7ae2f92.jpgo

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Was W9135E the only WR-allocated Gresley Buffet car?

Image found here of W9118E in maroon and being hauled by a Western.  That seems to clinch it.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Image found here of W9118E in maroon and being hauled by a Western.  That seems to clinch it.  

Nice to know my memory's up to scratch! Some nice photos there (roof shots still absent but that's not unusual), however I'm certain that the vehicle shown at Swindon Works on 1/3/79 is E9129E again (still there?!) not E9123E as stated - my photo and that one appear to show the same damage (there are two holes in the lower side in exactly the same places and the paint is peeling above the larger hole).

On 02/01/2010 at 10:26, ianfolland said:

A picture of blue/grey 9124 in preservation at Loughborough, February 1982. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the identity of the coach on the right.

Ianpost-7610-1262427950506_thumb.jpg

Coach on the right is probably E9122E  (Click on photo for link to Flickr)

E9124E & E9122E Loughborough, GCR 29 March 1985

Edited by justin
  • Like 3

On 22/10/2020 at 22:31, Neil Phillips said:

Nice to know my memory's up to scratch! Some nice photos there (roof shots still absent but that's not unusual), however I'm certain that the vehicle shown at Swindon Works on 1/3/79 is E9129E again (still there?!) not E9123E as stated - my photo and that one appear to show the same damage (there are two holes in the lower side in exactly the same places and the paint is peeling above the larger hole).

Roof details (of E9124E rather than E9123E) Click on photo for link to Flickr

E9124E, LNER RB preserved at  Loughborough on the GCR 17.7.1977

Edited by justin
  • Like 2