HAYMARKET CROSS 1961/62 East Coast main line shed

silverlink

Since my last post I have been busy adding more detail to the layout. First of all I have had the turntable out and added some more extra detail to try and make it more British in appearance. I fitted some plasticard and angled plastic to represent girders under the table followed by painting and weathering which seems to have worked quite well.

post-4401-0-96944400-1331118626_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time on my stock adding real coal, drivers & firemen and working lamps. Shown is some of the steam stock, I still have a few A4's, A3's & A1's that need decoders fitting + all the above extras.

post-4401-0-58597000-1331118918_thumb.jpg

I will try and get some pictures of the buildings on next where you will be able to see the superb weathering that was done by Mike Johnson of NoEL fame.

Wow! what a line up!

Unfortunately Ian although I did take photos of my conversion they were lost when my computer hard drive went down! Using a disc cutter on my mini-drill I cut off the end of the table where the hut was followed by carefully cutting out the wheel assembly that was fixed to it. this was shaped to fit directly under the table to line up with the rail that runs round the well. What I will do is take the table out and do some photos of it which I can show alongside a standard one, I will post them once done. It seems there are quite a few people intersted in this conversion so I will try and expand on it for you.

Cheers

Ian

After two months I have finished re-wiring the entire layout with a more simplified system! This is the new panel which if you compare it with my very first photo of my original panel you will see is a much more streamlined one. The double slip works a treat now with only two switches for four points, also there are no on/off switches now as the whole layout is controlled by four digitrax PM42's.

NEW PANEL

post-4401-0-87849800-1331157849_thumb.jpg

NOTE DOUBLE SLIP SWITCHES & LED's

post-4401-0-10040900-1331157968_thumb.jpg

Seeing a line up of rolling stock like that makes me wonder why I am still debating on whether or not to buy a second loco for my upcoming West of Bromsgrove layout!!!!

Hi Artizen,

Sorry to correct you, but that line up is not of rolling stock - it's MOTIVE POWER !!!!

gresley

Can we have too many motives to partake in modelling? :no:

Artizen,

Just trying to put things in perspective. Usually there would be between 4 and 6 coaches per passenger loco, and around 10 to 20 goods vehicles per freight train.

Therefore, with a Motive Power lineup as shown, and assuming that around 30% will be "backup" locos, you can estimate the number of items of "rolling stock" that may be available for use. No doubt Ian can provide more info.

gresley

• 1 month later...

Sorry that I haven't added anything lately only have been busy working on stock. I also had a visit from Mike Wild of Hornby Magazine who came to take photographs for the mag. The layout is now in the May issue and a great job Mike has done too! I have also been playing around with my new camcorder and just put a 15min video on Youtube

Please take a look, personally I'm not over happy with the downloaded quality but I think its because I've squashed it into 15 minutes

silverlink

• 5 months later...

A little visitor from New England came to Haymarket Cross this weekend at Peterborough show..... Many thanks Ian for allowing me to both run and photograph it on there. :)

post-6712-0-07811000-1350905922_thumb.jpg

I wonder what the two enginemen in the foreground are saying.... ;)

As its a while since I added anything to my thread here are a couple of photos taken recently at Peterborough show.

New chassis V2 60828 (York 50A)

post-4401-0-92950000-1351529236_thumb.jpg

This is the 'Bell hut' that was at Scarborough shed for many years, accuratly reproduced by my good mate Nick Skelton. Note the drivers & firemen sat outside.

post-4401-0-25391600-1351529693_thumb.jpg

I am also working on the control panel adding some more LED's to help with route setting. I use green/red 3mm bi-directional which because I am using tortoise switch machines don't need any resistors.

Next time out for layout is the 'big one' WARLEY over w/e of 24/25th Nov.

cheers

Ian

Where do you get your figures from or they home made ?

Most are from Dart Castings range which includes Montys Models, there are also some from Mainly Trains & of course Bachmann. Good thing about all these is they are correct '00' scale.

Ian

Very impressed with the control panel could you share how and what you used to make it thanks.

Yes of course,

The framework is standard 2"x1" & the panel was done here in Scarborough by a company called 'Signs Direct'. I first did a drawing of my track plan which I took to Tim who runs 'Signs Direct' he copied it onto his computer did a bit of fine tuning & then printed it out onto a type of vinyl which is stuck on a type of plastic boarding. This was glued to the "2x1" frame with Evostik followed by drilling out all the holes for the switches & LED holders. Great thing with the boarding is it is very easy to drill & work with so all the switches & LED's fitted easily. The LED's are fitted into special LED mounts which means shound one fail its very easy to change as there is no soldering. Switches & LED's all came from Rapid Electrics in Essex whos prices are very competitive. Should you want a panel doing 'Signs Direct' are on 01723 500425.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Some more pictures of stock on layout also, good news the layout is to be featured in the next edition (Feb) of BRM magazine which is out 6th Jan.

NIGHT SHOT OF 60032 GANNET

post-4401-0-27128700-1356016341_thumb.jpg

92192 TAKES WATER

post-4401-0-07306000-1356016439_thumb.jpg

PAIR OF WEATHERED BOX VANS

post-4401-0-81103600-1356016503_thumb.jpg

LINE UP OF NAMED TRAINS LOCOS

post-4401-0-04806500-1356016596_thumb.jpg

Many thanks Derek,

Not sure but the 9F may have come from you! here are a few more recent pictures. At the moment the layout is up and running in the loft minus the fiddle yard as I had a visit recently from BRM who spent the day taking photos for the next edition of the mag which is out 10th Jan. I have seen one or two of the shots and they are superb.

60527 SUN CHARIOT BEING TURNED WHILST 04 63698 WAITS FOR THE OFF

post-4401-0-58609500-1356878279_thumb.jpg

60525 A H PEPERCORN & 60032 GANNET

post-4401-0-19132800-1356878391_thumb.jpg

JUST A BIT OF FUN!!!

post-4401-0-39228800-1356878451_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian H

Archived