HAYMARKET CROSS 1961/62 East Coast main line shed

silverlink

Hi Ian & Derek,

Thanks for your kind words & Ian regarding Deltics ' just wait ' they're on the way. At the moment I'm waiting for the new disc headcode baby Deltics from Heljan as in many ways they're the missing link on my layout. I'm finding the green with no yellow diesel era attracting quite a lot of attention from the public at shows we attend. I suppose its the rarity value thats attactive as there are very few layouts around portraying the early diesel era around 1960/62.

To all on Rmweb Happy New Year    

Ian H

Just Downloaded the latest BRM, Amazing photos I must say.

Great read as well

Many thanks for your comments,

I have just recieved my copy of BRM & have to agree with you the pictures are stunning. Many thanks to Richard Wilson & our Andy York who took the pictures for coming all the way to Scarborough & spending all day in my loft! must admit it was a great day with plenty of banter going round. They were here that long we were even able to do night shots in the dark! 

I've now got to take the layout down ready for Stafford show on 2/3rd Feb so if there are any Rmweb members around please come and say hello to our gang from up north in Scarborough.

Cheers

Ian H

Hi Ian

I have just picked up the latest copy of BRM from my local WH Smith's.

I must say, the article on your Haymarket Cross layout is just fantastic and the photos are great as well.

My project on scratch building Haymarket MPD has had to take a back seat at the moment with the new arrival of our first Granddaughter and my 60th Birthday which is tomorrow, lots of celebrations.

Reading about your layout and seeing those brilliant photos has certainly given me the inspiration to push on again as soon as I can.

looking forward too seeing more photos on your thread.

Regards

David

Just wondered, how does the coaling stage work? (I mean how would it...... :no: )

P @ 36E

This is one of my on going projects, which I will explain. At Scarborough the coal wagons at the top of the coaling stage as seen in picture with class 15 would be emptied into small two wheeled tubs with handles at one end. There would be around two dozen of these fully laden ready for use where they would be pushed to the opening above the loco tender, they would have a pair of chains from a pair of upright girders attached and then tipped over the egde allowing the coal to drop into the tender. The problem I am having is trying to find something that resembles the tubs that will look something like the ones that were at Scarborough. I did find a wagon kit at Warley marketed by RT models of Shrewsbury which is 009 gauge (NGWK003) which is a Generic slate rubbish wagon. I think I will have to get one and see if I can modify it in someway that will look realistic enough for use on the layout.

Thanks to all for the kind words regarding BRM I'm really pleased with the article.

Ian H   

• RMweb Premium

Below are the Didcot 1/2 ton capacity tubs Ray took last year.  

How far off the design are your ones from these?

I'm guessing a similar system took place at Southall (81C) so if you find some suitable kits/products I'd be glad to hear.

A bit of info is on the Didcot website: http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/engineshed.html

Some pics here, too: http://www.deejay51.com/didcot_rail_centre_p2.htm

post-14049-0-59162300-1347315415.jpg

Hope to see HC again. Great layout.  Looking forward to reading the article tonight.

Edit.  Hope you don't mind me posting the pic.

Of course not, many thanks for the input. Yes they are simular but not quite right, as I mentioned earlier I think the nearest I have found are those from RT Models which since my last post I have ordered. I know they aren't exactly the same but as my layout is ficticious I don't think it will to much of a problem.

Ian H  

I'd like to personally thank Ian for his time afforded to Richard and I for a day in his loft and excellent hospitality back in December when we did the photos for Haymarket Cross, a very enjoyable day indeed. There was probably too much gassing from me and not enough concentration leading to an oversight on the image published on P18/19 of February's BRM. I'd spent time on two versions of the image and not submitted the correct one to the office so to hopefully redress the balance I'd like to include it here and as a shameless teaser for people to go and pick up the mag if it's an era and location of interest!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Hi Andy I recently purchased the February addition of BRM and the Photos of Ian's Haymarket Cross were sensational. I have seen the odd additional photo here and there that were not part of the BRM article, and I wonder if there are any additional photo's that were not printed that you could put on the web with Ian's agreement. Here's hoping. Regards David

Guest JRCModelRailways

What a lovely layout, very inspirational! Lovely locomotives and modelling. I know the layout is based at East Coast Mainline but I was wandering what region it is modelled in.

What a lovely layout, very inspirational! Lovely locomotives and modelling. I know the layout is based at East Coast Mainline but I was wandering what region it is modelled in.

Hi not sure what you mean here, the layout is based loosly on the shed at Scarborough although fictitious it represents the period 1961/62 and covers much of the stock that would be running on the east coast main line between Kings Cross & Haymarket sheds at this time hence the name. So as such you could say it is Eastern, North Eastern & Scottish region.

Ian H

I'll look back through what I finished and what was published and see what I can dig out for you. ;)

Sorry; I'd completely forgotten this with one thing or another! Here's a few from the cutting room floor.

2H1.jpg

2H9.jpg

2H10smoke.jpg

2H11.jpg

2H18.jpg

2H21smoke.jpg

2H35.jpg

2H40.jpg

2H27.jpg

Some wonderfully atmospheric shots there Andy, and only a couple of tension lock hooks in sight!

I especially love the second one of Lady of the Lake on the turntable.

Thanks for sharing these extra photos.

Mike

My word Andy. Those are stunning and if you don't mind me saying, I like those more than the ones in the magazine! As Mike says, very atmospheric!

Most of those photos make it look like 7mm.

Another thing I particularly like on the layout is evident in the fourth image and that's taking a Metcalfe building and using it as a shell to re-cover with better brickwork, in this case Aged Brown Brick (TX07) nfrom the Scalescenes.com range and additionally weathered, it changes them beyond belief and should be compulsory in my opinion. ;)

Archived