Modifying Chivers' MDVs (Coils A and B)

Having built a number of MDOs using the bodies of the Chivers MDV kit, I was left with the solebars, brake-gear and buffers. After some discussion, I passed these on to Chris Lewis, who's produced representations of the Coil A and Coil B using them. Whilst the body-work is more impressionistic than the work to be seen on Hywel Thomas's excellent 'Morfa Bank Sidings', I think they do capture the appearance of the prototype.

post-1477-12553630784424_thumb.jpg

Both models are based on a solid floor. In the case of the Coil A, the material between the coil supports is cut away after fixing them in position, so that daylight is visible, at least as far as the logitudinal frame members. The Coil B, having a larger coil cradle than the A, has longitudinal frame members immediately behind the solebars, so the floor can be left solid.

In both cases, the hood assemblies are fabricated from plastic sheet. Once this has set, a covering of fabric is fixed on top using solvent. This is given a brushed-on coat of acrylic, followed by a much thicker coat applied with an artist's knife to give the textured appearance. Chris tells me that the technique is known as 'Impasto'.

The Coil A was based on drawings in 'The Illustrated History of BR Wagons- Pt 1', whilst the 'B' was built from photos on Paul Bartlett's site

Photos in both this and my previous posting are by my wife, Lynne Collis.

Archived