New workroom/layout room

David Bigcheeseplant

After years of working on the dining table, I have finally after ten years got my loft sorted into a proper workshop/railway room, the roof was insulated between the rafters then boarded over, daylight strip lights, power points and a bench added.

There is no water tank and the roof is of cut rafters so there are no truss webs to get in the way, I have left a two foot gap along the side of the roof to give me space for a layout. All in all I have 14 foot by around eight foot of stand able space.

With the insulation added it has really made a difference to the warmth up there although it was freezing outside the temperature was very pleasant with no need to put any heating on, I hope this will also save on the fuel bills.

I just need to pop my lathe on one end add a pillar drill and I should have everything I need to hand.

David

post-186-1259679732313_thumb.jpg

Got any gas fires in your chimney flues there? It looks ike you've got a couple of leaky spots, you might want to get that wall sealed.

There are no gas fires up those chimneys, even the coal fire we don't use, Its wierd with the daylight bulbs I have just come down and found its getting dark which has confused me.

David

There are no gas fires up those chimneys, even the coal fire we don't use, Its wierd with the daylight bulbs I have just come down and found its getting dark which has confused me.

David

Hehah, there's worse things could happen. Sounds like you're getting a nice dose of vitamin D up there.

Enjoy the space. I'm still stuck on the table until we've emptied all the moving boxes in my spare room.

Its so good to have one's own space I trust that the DAB radio is permantley tuned to 'Planet Rock ' for those long nights alone in the loft David

Bet its not as tidy in a couple of months

The DAB radio has really bad reception, I have took my old radio up there too, but found the ariel had disapeared! normally listen to Radio 2, 6 Music or Absolute, depending on what on.

David

• 4 weeks later...

I have now started to use my new workroom, and have the lathe set up, although like most work benches it seems to get cluttered up very quickly, this photo was taken after I had a tidy up!

I hope to get some drawers to store my bits and pieces under the bench, I thought Ikea might be the place any recomendations.

David

post-186-12621697182993_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I popped up in to the loft today, it was really hot outside and I expected the loft to be like a sauna but I was surprised it was cooler than outside and quite nice, with the insulation down the rafters it seems to keep warm in winter and cool in summer, I must admit I thought I would need an air con unit in the summer but so far its ok.

David

Archived