Hornby Q1

70E

I have from new an early release Q1 33037.

Strange as it may seem I am wondering if it came with cab doors, old pictures seem to show that it would have done, But I don't remember it having any nor can I see any sign of them being fitted to the tender?

I have looked at Abigails and Peter's spares to no avail so assume they are not available as spare parts.

Can anyone advise?

The Q1s were all fitted with doors but they were extraordinarily fragile: I think less than half my Q1s still have all their cab doors.

I think it's a really delightful model, and I'm pleased it's shortly coming back into the Hornby catalogue after a gap of a few years.

Paul

Edited by Fenman

... I'm pleased it's shortly coming back into the Hornby catalogue after a gap of a few years.

Any indication of a different loco to tender coupling? For my money, among much well rendered detail the finest piece of modelling on it is the framing beneath the cab floor extension. However what should be largely an airy void below is occupied by the crude loco to tender linkage. Hornby could considerably improve in this area by using a simple bar correctly mounted in the dragboxes. If they don't, it's a little bit of work the owner can do to improve it...

• 3 years later...

Trying to maintain a single thread, hence bump. Can Bulleid experts advise whether R3011 (33005) is in the correct configuration for the preserved C1/33001 (except for the lubricator drive)

From what I can see it has the aditional washout holes and the later smokebox door (without the reinforcing ring that featured early on). Are there any other Hornby detail variations that I don't know about? Access hatches etc?

I intend to purchase a lubricator drive and corresponding cranked wheelset.

With no sign of the Q1 in the Catalogue in recent years I think it might be time to take the plunge...

Thanks for any info.

G-BOAF

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Trying to maintain a single thread, hence bump. Can Bulleid experts advise whether R3011 (33005) is in the correct configuration for the preserved C1/33001 (except for the lubricator drive)

From what I can see it has the aditional washout holes and the later smokebox door (without the reinforcing ring that featured early on). Are there any other Hornby detail variations that I don't know about? Access hatches etc?

I intend to purchase a lubricator drive and corresponding cranked wheelset.

With no sign of the Q1 in the Catalogue in recent years I think it might be time to take the plunge...

Thanks for any info.

G-BOAF

It should do the job quite nicely, however you will need to remove the moulded smoke box number plate to model 33001 as C1. 

It should do the job quite nicely, however you will need to remove the moulded smoke box number plate to model 33001 as C1. 

post-489-0-84546400-1443880555.jpg

My Q1-C8 was the first loco to which I fitted a decoder. In ignorance I retained the harness at full length and found it difficult to compress the surplus. Time, with knowledge and experience has moved on several tads. When last used, this loco ran as smooth as silk, and is a good corner stone for the 6-coupled goods fleet.

PB

Edited by Peter Bedding
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifC08-01 - Minipic.jpg

My Q1-C8 was the first loco to which I fitted a decoder. In ignorance I retained the harness at full length and found it difficult to compress the surplus. Time, with knowledge and experience has moved on several tads. When last used, this loco ran as smooth as silk, and is a good corner stone for the 6-coupled goods fleet.

PB

So far 19 members of the class, have passed through on my layout & workbench....

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although they are dare I say it probably one of the ugliest British locomotives ever built. They are also strangely attractive. I remember seeing a photo of one for the first time and really liking it.

Ugly? They are positively good looking compared to the Garrett's or the Crosti's  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Although they are dare I say it probably one of the ugliest British locomotives ever built. They are also strangely attractive. I remember seeing a photo of one for the first time and really liking it.

And they were also mightily powerful.On summer Saturdays they were frequently to be seen at the head of holiday extras....for example,taking Cardiff-Portsmouth trains forward from Salisbury .The oft quoted fable about theQ1 was that when Bulleid was demonstrating his new wartime "Austerity " 0-6-0 to his CME colleagues,one of them is reputed to have asked on seeing this strange looking contraption "Oliver,where do you put the key ?"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just testing my new Q1. will need running in (and I'll probably be fitting a lubricator/appropriate wheels before runumbering as 33001 - anyone know where one can source non weathered lubricator fitted wheels?) Looks a wonderful model, cylinders aside.

Can doors - on my example they are folded outwards, completely fouling the loading gauge! The 'locking' mechanism is moulded on the inside of the doors, so they are not, contrary to my first thoughts, fitted back to front. Any advice. My layout is not that tight clearing wise, but the doors as currently fitted just look silly!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Just testing my new Q1. will need running in (and I'll probably be fitting a lubricator/appropriate wheels before runumbering as 33001 - anyone know where one can source non weathered lubricator fitted wheels?) Looks a wonderful model, cylinders aside.

Can doors - on my example they are folded outwards, completely fouling the loading gauge! The 'locking' mechanism is moulded on the inside of the doors, so they are not, contrary to my first thoughts, fitted back to front. Any advice. My layout is not that tight clearing wise, but the doors as currently fitted just look silly!

Try Petespares or AC Models on ebay for the wheels, if you can only get the weathered ones don't worry - as it will come off with a little help from Microsol. For the doors you can always cut them off at the hinge point (between the two doors) and glue them in place folded back.

• 5 years later...

Frustrated and need help!

Just rewheeled a 2011 Q1 (R3011) with lubricator drive wheelset (ex weathered, repainted black by me). Prior to a renumbering (to a lubricated loco)

The oiginal wheels were distinctly off-centre resulting on loco waddling (it turns out the centre wheel set were very slightly off-centre on the axles, no idea how or why - but having pulled a wheel off the axle and measured with calliper, the axle hole in the wheel face is about about 0.1mm off centre). New wheels are fine and true :-)

I was very proud of myself.....

However, the centre driving axle is just not straight - one side sits on the track (the side with the bearing), the other is very slightly above it (the side with the gear). I've checked the bearing is sitting properly in the chassis and can't see anything amis. The bearing itself is the same diameter as the others and does not have any taper in it. Given the wheel is raising off the track, it is not the drive chain pushing the wheel out of place. I'm at a loss to understand why the whole thing isn't true. I can't even nudge the wheel downwards onto the rail when the chassis bottom plate is on. Have I just got a duff or poorly machined chassis?

And does the recent 2017 re-release have this problem?

Easiest check is to lean loco slightly (one side then the other) and nudge forward and back and check that the centre wheel is moving before the rods take up the slack.

Or put a flat edge on the TOP of the drivers (about the only loco you can do this with) and check that the centre wheel isn't slightly higher.

Edited by G-BOAF