Culcheth Station

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can find any info on Culcheth station near Warrington? I'm interested in relevant books, photos etc that might be available to give me an idea what it used to be like when it was open. I know very little about the railways in the vicinity being a southerner but have an interest now as my sister lives within a few minutes walk of the now long gone station and have walked along the old trackbed which is now a footpath. I have looked in the local library without much luck.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen one photo of this station in my entire life, and it looked very rural and un-GC like.

Now where was it? (Scratches head, then library.) Not in the first two books I thought of, but I'll keep looking and get back to you if I find it. To be honest, although it only closed in 1964, I have an idea that photos of it are like rocking horse excrement. You could try the GCRS but I would hold out too much hope there, as they are not research orientated and their online presence is minimal.

Sorry, i have had a look through the 4 or 5 most likely books and it ain't there. Though I am beginning to doubt my own sanity, I'm sure I have seen it, and I think it was in one of those 'North West Railways in Pictures' sort of albums that turn up in local history sections of bookshops and libraries. Will keep looking - I do have a lot of books.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of pictures of Culcheth in Widnes and St Helens Railways by Bob Pixton page 116. ISBN 0 7524 0751 1. Publisher The Chalford Publishing Company. The buildings look pretty standard for the Wigan branch.

Neither photo is the one I had in mind. Anyway, it might be worth contacting Mr Pixton in case he has any more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing on Culcheth station itself, but there's a picture of Newchurch Halt (which was the other side of Culcheth village) in "Railways around Lancashire (A Pictorial Survey)" by A. C Gilbert and N.R. Knight. Published in 1975 by the Manchester Transport Museum Society. The photo shows the platform accomodation as an ex-GE six-wheeler coach body.

In the same book there is a picture of a 2MT 46470 in open countryside between Culcheth and Lowton St Mary's.

Couldn't find a ISBN number, sorry, but I hope this helps.

I lived at 66 Severn Rd from 1978 the garden of which literally backed onto Newchurch Halt.

If I recall correctly the concrete platform sections (wartime construction?0 were still in place so that you walked between them,telegraph poles were still standing.

if you went under the road and footbridge, to the left of the station looking towards the fields not the rivers estate there was evidence of an old siding which ran towards the navy/army facilities at Risley.Platform area was demolished by neighbouring industrial estate owner some years later. I think the halt was built much later than Culcheth Station?

You may find it useful to contact Warrington council they had large scale plans for the rivers estate and othe parts of Culcheth which we had to get a copy of when we built an extension.

However the area moved from Lancashire to Cheshire (hence Warrington) at some stage in boundary adjustments so finding archive material may be a bit difficult.

Check to see if there is a local history society in Culcheth this can save a lot of time and trouble and they do tend to know of maps and photos???

this may be useful on Amazon at £28

Culcheth Railway Station [Paperback]

Adam Cornelius Bert (Editor)

bob hughes

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived