Farish standard 4MT

n-gauge

There was a photo of an unpainted sample on the Farish website, but this has gone now that there have been newer announcements. I don' recall seeing any photos from the Warley photo albums. Maybe a photo of a painted example will do the rounds nearer to the release date?

The one thing that seems... slightly odd is that it's the smaller BR2 tender version that's out first, rather than the larger BR1B...

I'm looking forward to this one, not just because I tried to build one in O gauge (and failed) but because if they can produce a DCC ready loco with such a small tender, (assuming they don't Belgium with it in some way) then it's a good sign...

Edit: Although the tender on the Ivatt 2MT looks even smaller (eek)

Are we sure this is going to be DCC ready? Farish are not fitting DCC to all their recent products as the class 04 and 08 show. It also looks like the forthcoming class 14 will not be DCC-ready.

As to why the BR2 tender, I guess it depends on what other products they plan to use it with. The standard 4 4-6-0 and standard 3 mogul also used the BR2 family of tenders. Perhaps Farish have an eye on these as future products rather than the larger standard tender engines. The 5MTs and larger generally ran with BR1-variant tenders IIRC.

According to the Farish website product listing and press release it has the 6pin DCC decoder symbol, same as the long awaited Ivatt 2-6-0. It features a more compact drive than the Scott and Jubilee. Hopefully it will lead to smaller prototypes from LNER, SR and GWR.

According to the Farish website product listing and press release it has the 6pin DCC decoder symbol, same as the long awaited Ivatt 2-6-0. It features a more compact drive than the Scott and Jubilee. Hopefully it will lead to smaller prototypes from LNER, SR and GWR.

Thanks for the info, I had failed to notice that. I wonder how they will manage given that Ixion were unable to fit a decoder socket into the GWR 3500 gallon tender? A compact tender drive will indeed open up a range of useful possibilities.

One long term possibilty would be something really historical like City of Truro. One of the mags has announced that NRM are planning to produce a model of it. Presumably it will be 00 but if Bachmann end up producing the model AND they have a compact tender drive then it opens up the possibility of an N gauge version in the future.

Thanks for the info, I had failed to notice that. I wonder how they will manage given that Ixion were unable to fit a decoder socket into the GWR 3500 gallon tender? A compact tender drive will indeed open up a range of useful possibilities.

One long term possibilty would be something really historical like City of Truro. One of the mags has announced that NRM are planning to produce a model of it. Presumably it will be 00 but if Bachmann end up producing the model AND they have a compact tender drive then it opens up the possibility of an N gauge version in the future.

Certainly if the Ivatt 2MT - which has a very small tender indeed - ends up being dcc ready when it appears, that opens things up a lot. Although whether it means we'll get more BR Standards, or... I can't think of any other LMS locos with especially small tenders apart from the Ivatt 4MT - wonderfully ugly... I mean full of character. And while the Fowler tender is smaller than the Stanier one...

Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

There is a pic up on the ModelRailForum.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/images/Bachmann/Std-4MT-N.jpg

Yep, that is the press release photo provided by Bachmann at TINGS and that I posted here (or rather the previous verion of RMweb) and the N Gauge Yahoo group. Pix of the other development models (Megaboxes, Toad, Black 5 and 3MT) at the time were also published. I've still got copies on file if anyone is interested.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived