Furtwangen Ost

Les1952

Repairs started

Track lifting to get at the non-working point has taken place.  Useful bits are now in a box to be put back- and some shrub tubs put safely with them.

post-13358-0-56726700-1413399729_thumb.jpg

This is the reason the point didn't work.  The wire has been pulled off the point mechanism.  Fortunately the point itself is undamaged.

post-13358-0-47082800-1413399735_thumb.jpg

the devastation after the track was lifted.   The lifted point has replaced the dead one as the point for the shed.   Connected to that motor the point throws, which is more than its predecessor did.

post-13358-0-37430100-1413399733_thumb.jpg

The new points more or less in place.

post-13358-0-69833400-1413399738_thumb.jpg

I've got new track for the tram stop.  This is the underside showing the power connector clip it comes with.  A decent connection with no soldering should mean the trams have a better run into the stop.

More work to do tomorrow.

Les

Trams running again....

OK, as promised, a blow-by-blow set of photos showing getting the track back down...

post-13358-0-52743100-1413479742_thumb.jpg

Firstly the other end of the new Tomix track connector.  This was cut off leaving...

post-13358-0-10997400-1413479744_thumb.jpg

... bare wires.    These in turn were passed through ...

post-13358-0-33002600-1413479750_thumb.jpg

... a new pair of holes (one for each track) drilled through the town sub-board and the main baseboard.  The smaler hole here was the foundation for the tramway mast mid-loop.  As the wires aren't long enough to reach the tag strip the old power feeds are connected to they were  soldered to another tag strip nearby and the shortened old feeds used to connect to this from the main tag board for the tramway. This was done after the track was down.

post-13358-0-69084300-1413479746_thumb.jpg

Very quickly it became obvious that the old track wasn't going to connect to the straight at the archway end of the loop due to a bit of solder on the rail end that had been needed to get some electrical connection to the tram stop.   This dodgy rail had to come out and be replaced with a new one.

post-13358-0-68139500-1413479748_thumb.jpg

The dodgy rail replaced.  At this time the rails-in-street were still unconnected at the far end.

post-13358-0-65845300-1413479741_thumb.jpg

Next the opposite end of each line in turn was connected clear of the board and sprung back into place.  The front one had to be done twice as I managed to pull the connector off the underside of the track first time.

post-13358-0-74679900-1413479767_thumb.jpg

The trackwork sprung back into place- not glued down in case any connections need re-doing (which one did, see above).   The new feeds were soldered to the old at this point in the sequence and a test tram run to make sure the whole thing works

post-13358-0-80688500-1413479769_thumb.jpg

Test tram doing its duty.  One side-effect is that with the point to the depot working and the depot wired up (which it always has been) trams can now run into the depot for the first time- just as well the interior is detailed as there won't always be a tram blocking the view.....

post-13358-0-95012500-1413479751_thumb.jpg

Lastly, off the workbench comes a new addition.  This was bought from Paul Martin's estate at Aldershot show last weekend, as a non-runner needing repair and TLC.  Having got the motor retaining clips bent back into shape it runs, but slips even when running light-engine.  The rest of the repair basically is sourcing a new set of traction tyres and working out how to fit them.  The TLC will involve cleaning and re-oiling it while the mechanism is in bits for the new tyres.

Must dash- Bingham MRC's clubroom move now has a definite date, and I need to go and box up bits belonging to the Rise Park group.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Addition and enhancements

Still working slowly at restoring scenery- some of the bits for FO have found their way to Hawthorn Dene as well.

New addition to stock-

post-13358-0-95196800-1414248017_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-56853400-1414248016_thumb.jpg

From Rails via eBay- cheap(ish) because it had a broken pantograph.  Now with a single-arm pantograph off a Taurus body in the scrap pile.  It has a 6-pin interface, which means it will work on the new layout when made (more suitable for late seventies than current).

The new poles are a result of viewing one of the fuhrerstandfahrt videos on YouTube- or rather a series of them.  Freiburg tramways now have something I'd not seen on my visits there- on the grassed reservation sections they've allowed vegetation to grow up the tramway masts, which makes them look a lot more environmentally friendly.  So- nothing ventured- all of the poles on the grass track now have vegetation- which makes the tramway look even more different to the usual way of doing things.  The removed railway catenery masts will be resued on the new layout- which is getting further through the planning stage.

post-13358-0-39940000-1414248014_thumb.jpg

New pic of a bit from two years back- a close-up of the loading dock fence, which gets appreciative comments at shows, usually from the fairer sex.

Must get on- more grass to do- and fingers to separate again afterwards......

Les

• Like 2

Mostly re-grassed

I've had a good weekend working on the layout, and have got most of the grass relaid at the incline bottom.  

post-13358-0-09460700-1414338133_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-03237500-1414338132_thumb.jpg

These are the two ends of the loop- just a little more to do at the incline end.   I've managed to match the grass matting rather better than last time, so the colour is better.

post-13358-0-70489500-1414338134_thumb.jpg

At the front of the tram stop the infill wasn't going to go back as the track itself seems just a little wider.  I've turned the infill upside-down and made it into a flowery border.   There are also seven shrub tubs in the middle of the tram station.  I'll probably put two advertising boards in there as well, to break up the line between the tracks.

This week is curtailed by working on the clubroom, so not a lot will be done on Furtwangen.   Once the clubroom move is done I can get on with the repairs to Hawthorn Dene.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update

The grass is now completely relaid and the layout has had its dust cover put over it until I've got the trackwork on Hawthorn Dene finished.

post-13358-0-02522000-1415304690_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-81935800-1415304691_thumb.jpg

I'll re-do the overhead and replace the switch before the end of November, hopefully.

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Still working at upgrades- intermittently.

post-13358-0-39800800-1417120170_thumb.jpg

Cruel enlargement this- but it shows the attempts at disguising the line down the middle of the tram station.

Not good enough so far- the next plan is to get or dig out some embossed pavement to make a reservation between the pillars and mount seats and shrub tubs on that.....

All the very best

les

• 3 weeks later...

Tubs almost done.

I've used the last bit of the cobblestone paving to put a strip in the middle of the tram stop, and applied some P.D.Marsh benches and a variety of seated passengers to the strip, then placed a series of Noch shrub tubs.

post-13358-0-69613300-1418914378_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-40322100-1418914375_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-02051300-1418914377_thumb.jpg

Next is to replace the overhead in this area then replace the section switch at the back.   After that I'll put a sheet of ply on the base to protect the wiring and the layout can stand on end in the corner for a month until Hawthorn Dene comes back from Sileby show.

getting there

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A couple of pre- Lincoln pics

Just a couple of pics showing the layout set up in the workshop for its final checks before going to Lincoln.

post-13358-0-09364400-1425106944_thumb.jpg

Looking into the workshop - a lot more crowded than it has been.  Hawthorn Dene is on end in the background,

post-13358-0-07382100-1425106946_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way towards the door.  In the background is the N-gauge running-in track. The OO gauge one now gets set up on the floor round the tresttles if Furtwangen is set up.  I'm not yet sure how it fits under Hawthorn Dene.

More later.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Lincoln Show Day 1

LOOK WHAT WE WON!

post-13358-0-26729900-1425158566_thumb.jpg

Judged by the Mayor and Mayoress of Lincoln and the Chairman of East Lindsey Council.  The layout that is their opinion the best in the show.

I'm gobsmacked.

post-13358-0-49075800-1425158568_thumb.jpg

The big space at the bottom is for the names of thewinners to be added.  Furtwangen Ost is the first winner of the shield.   And I've got an invitation to take Hawthorn Dene next year.

Day two tomorrow.  Must get some sleep.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

Back again!

Furtwangen Ost is now back on its trestles ready for testing over the next week or so in advance of the Great Central show.

post-13358-0-99697800-1433878696_thumb.jpg

The board on the front is to protect the scenery- it is held on by three screws and is removed when the layout is in use.  There is also a board to slide on underneath the layout- that is going to have to come off temporarily tomorrow so I can tighten the carrying handles again.

A couple of shots taken at Lincoln during the last outing.

post-13358-0-21350100-1433879029_thumb.jpg

post-13358-0-29389400-1433879031_thumb.jpg

More to bore you with shortly.....

Les

• Like 1

Checking continues

Everything on the layout that SHOULD be working apparently IS working.  This isn't necessarily a good thing- I'm beginning to panic about what I might have missed....

post-13358-0-45193500-1434482305_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-74650200-1434482306_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots of the carrying handles- these were added before the last outing to make transportation easier.  Losing the truck also made stacking the car easier.  I've needed to take the base plate off this weekend to tighten the handles up, and put a little superglue in an appropriate place to help them stay tightened.  Whether it will do the trick remains to be seen.

post-13358-0-30719000-1434482739_thumb.jpg

Not going to Quorn is the 0-8-0DH with the flashing light.  It shed a traction tyre last time out and wobbles rather spectacularly.  In the absence of a replacement tyre that fits (so far I've bought two packs of Fleischmann tyres that don't) it will have to wait for the Bullfrog-snot-meister (aka Mr Simon) to come home for a weekend.

Also probably not in use will be the blue tram, which runs well on the railway and not at all on the tramway......

Still one stock box to test.

operating team for Quorn is myself and Jim Ross all three days with Chris Burch on Friday and Saturday, and Geoff Warren on Sunday.  A good team....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Layout now installed at Quorn.

Only one problem- Stand 11 should be near the North Pole.

No it isn't.  Stand 11 is between Stand 70 and Stand 72.  We've been shuffled as another layout has materialised as 18 feet bigger than its footprint....

Stop and say hello.  We're opposite Woodthorpe Cardboard Works just round the corner from Hornby Mag.

Les

Edited by Les1952

GCR event day one

The good news-

• Layout generally running well.  No stock casualties, though one carriage derailed a few times running in through the tunnel- see below.
  • Nice to have a chat with Andy Y this morning.

The bad news

• We're in the earthquake zone.  One boy of about 4 clumped past the layout anfbounced a carriage off the line in the station.
  • Three men walked past in step and bounced everything on the layout off the track.
  • The disintegrating track syndrome has struck again- this time in the tunnel at the top end of the layout.  Repairing it will involve taking the layout end board off to gat at it. For now trains are running across the damaged part so we'll leave it alone and hope they continue to the end of the show.

Sleep then day 2.

Les

GCR Event Day Two

The dodgy bit of track is still there, though the 4-4-2 and the Kittle railbus have been retired as they won't run over it.  The through goods isn't running but the brewery shunt can work as an out-and-back from the town end.  The big orange Bo-Bo is the only loco that can run it as the other two Simplex-fitted diesels keep getting bounced off the track by heavy-footed punters tramping past across the springy floor.  OTOH the tramway is running well apart from odd derailments due to earthquake.

Nice to have a chat with LNER4479 and with DJM Dave today.  Also on the social side I've almost filled up next year's South Notts show with layouts and traders.

Final day tomorrow.  I wonder if Fangio will be driving the green 9F again, yesterday he had got to full line speed before the platform end and seemed determined to throw his fireman's work clean out of the chimney......

Time for bed

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

GCR Event day 3

Outside in the real world the 4MT working trains shrank and became a 2MT....

At the start of the day we put everything that didn't like running through the tunnel back in the box together with the two smaller Simplex-fitted diesels- the latter being more susceptible to being bounced off the track by heavy-fdooted passers-by.

JIm invited every smallish child to drive the trains subject to parents saying yes (they daren't refuse...) which meant we only had the vintage passenger and the Arnold railcar running much of the day while normal service was maintained on the tramway.

Knackered!

The layout is back on its trestles waiting for me to start relaying the track in the tunnel.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Hi Les,

Nice to see you at the show. First time I've been and love the concept of a show 'down the line'. A few issues with the venue (some form of ventilation would be good!) but at least it's a step up from trying to prop up a layout on rough gravel(!) Full marks to GCR and SVMRC for an enterprising show.

Edited by LNER4479

Forgot to mention having a chat with Steve APA.

On the business side I've all-but-filled next year's South Notts show and got most of the paperwork delivered- saved a fortune on postage stamps.  Also bought a Kernow Beattie well tank- exactly the wrong sort of loco to run on a County Durham colliery layout - it is actually a birthday present from the better half.

Sleep?  Just for a fortnight I think.

Les

Home again.

....and repairs started.

It used to be so easy doing repairs, though they were needed too often.  Not any more- fewer needed and now real corkers.   When I replaced the disintegrated track at the other end of the fiddle yard I lifted it, replaced it and tidied up inside an hour.  Not this time.

1.  to get at anything under the boards or through the sides the protective base plate has to come off.  Ten screws, which decide they need three sizes of bit and too much drill pressure to do single-handedly while holding the layout on its back on the trestles.  Undone with the board on the trestles whiile lying on my back. Usual half-hour delay in process while electric screwdriver recharges...

2.  Next step is to undo the carrying handles.  Only problem- the rear one is the one superglued in as it wouldn't tighten up properly.  This means cutting the side plate in half in situ.

3.  Also needing removing to get to the side plates are the two side guides and the fastening that hold the proscenium.

post-13358-0-23680500-1435000960_thumb.jpg

4. Now we can see and remove the broken piece of track.  As I thought, the two rails were only held in place by the fishplates at their ends.  we were lucky to get through the show still running trains.  The largest surviving piece of the sleeper base is three sleepers long and about three-quarter width.   Moral- Track Magic is fine on Streamline track but Setrack is a different plastic and one it eats away.

post-13358-0-07282800-1435000962_thumb.jpg

A view of the missing rail from the other direction, showing why the end of the layout needed to come off. It also shows why I cut a slot in the end board- not easy to get a derailed train out of that gap (or a track ckeaner in, hence the use of Track Magic)

post-13358-0-16970800-1435000964_thumb.jpg

Looking out through the tunnel mouth.  The wooden protection strip is across the front of the layout.  the loco that was derailed in here on saturday due to passing earthquake came to rest on its side just at the end of the tunnel lining, too far to reach from either end.  Eventually retrieved by pushing it with a rerailer until it could be reached from the back with a long handled pair of tweezers.  This of course happened in front of interested punters, possibly the most exciting thing they'd seen since Fangio blasted away driving the green 9F just outside the show tent.  The new aperture should mean i) we can get locos out easily and ii) there will never be another derailment there again.

The replacement piece of track (a radius 2 curve bought in for such problems on Furtwangen or Hawthorn Dene) has since been installed and a slot cut out of the part of the panel I removed.  The new track is glued in place with PVA and can have two days to set as it is Club day tomorrow.  Then comes reassembly.

Next show is Launde on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Les

Back together again

The side went back on the layout a lot easier than it came off.  The only problem is that the paint damage is going to be difficult to hide.  I've given it a coat of a made-up greeny black as an undercoat but I'm going to have to repaint the end panel from a new tin.  The colour match won't be exact but it will be less noticeable if I do the whole panel.

post-13358-0-15158200-1435313187_thumb.jpg

On the other side of the panel the damage is only slight, and I can fix this with a little scatter.  My tins of scatter are currently at the clubroom so it will have to wait a week or two.  While I am at it I'll bed in the two tree trunks I missed.

post-13358-0-82692100-1435313188_thumb.jpg

So far so good-ish.

Les

• 4 weeks later...

Show update-

Furtwangen Ost has been invited to attend the European Railways Association Model Railway Exhibition at the Cadbury Club, Bournville, Birmingham on Saturday, December 5th, 2015.

There is at least one more invitation in the pipeline.

Les

• 4 weeks later...