Furtwangen Ost

Les1952

Wednesday 1st- productive day.

Two months and three weeks to the first public showing, no panic YET.

Today-

1. steps mostly made- need to dry now before setting in
  2. street surface behind the front row of shops laid ready for painting.
  3. hedge for foot of backscene in town area sourced and trialled.
  4. cobblestones in Marktplatz started
  5. granite area between railway and loading dock made and some debris added
  6. white lines painted on road approaching tramway crossing at top.

Took the day off marking exams today as I'm ahead :angel: - only 1200 questions left to mark by Tuesday next week- easy...

On the negative side I forgot that one of the things I was going to buy today was yellow paint for the tramway crossing itself!

The steps part-finished and in situ- tall punter's eye view over the town gate arch.

post-13358-0-30026900-1328113067_thumb.jpg

Still plenty to do......

Edited by Les1952

Thursday 2nd- stairs complete

Spent much of the day painting a cheapo flintlock pistol so it looks less like a brown plastic mess and more like a flintlock pistol from a distance. When I finsh this one I've a second one to do.....

Music by Slade, Sweet and Barclay James Harvest today.

post-13358-0-14403400-1328197512_thumb.jpg

The staircase done, as seen by a punter in a wheelchair. Figures, flowerbed, bicycle and buildings should hide most of the worst of its imperfections. Can't hide the twists, but it is a very old staircase which has merely had its stonework cleaned.... I now need a fountain or flowerbed surround to plant the tree in.

Also done today- the Kaufhaus building at the top of the staircase has been stuck down and partly bedded in- the rest to do when it is dry.

post-13358-0-60008100-1328197500_thumb.jpg

I've also put down the stone ground cover between the shed and the board front. Some of this will have a pile of coal and some ash heaps, and there are now two Portakabins to place.

Plenty still do do before 21st April....

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Friday 3rd

Hello again.

Short day in the workshop today, shopping this morning. Quiet weekend ahead- I've saved up my remaining marking and some moderator research for the weekend so Mr Simon can have an udisturbed bash on Gresby again..

Music today by Status Quo. No interruptions.

post-13358-0-90914300-1328284038_thumb.jpg

The tram reservation is now extended to the arch, which has been bedded in now I've made sure trams can get through comfortably. Also added the first of the municipal grey railings and some more people. I'm still wondering whether the tourists should be on top of the archway or oby the Kaufhaus behind looking at the gateway.

post-13358-0-30776600-1328284048_thumb.jpg

Looking for a suitable fountain or circular base on the Internet proved fruitless, and fountainless also, come to that, so when I saw a "spare" steel disc on the desk I thought I'd have a go at making something suitable. First viewing- out of focus a little. So far all it has is two layers of stone card, inner one facing inwards and outer one outwards - that obvious I shouldn't have needed two goes at it.......

Finishing that, and doing more Roman cobblestones, is Monday's job.

Plenty still needs doing......

Productive Monday

Just as well - because it is marking again on Wednesday, and Doncaster show plus a visitation from the beloved daughter this weekend....

Jobs advanced-

• The tramway reservation is now grassed except for the pointwork inserts, which I've not yet tackled.
  • The cobblestones in the Marktplatz are now all laid, as is the road surface between the shops row and the flats
  • Two Portakabins are under construction
  • The first section of railings from the Town Arch towards the town have been put into place.
  • The third low relief house is now under construction.
  • The tree surround has now been painted and ground cover added.

post-13358-0-36610200-1328561873_thumb.jpg

This shows progress in the Marktplatz. These are the final positions as the limiting dimension futher along the row is now known. The bank building is getting its extra details and will need to be stuck down as will the low relief houses at the back before anything in front can be stuck down.

Hopefully it will be safe to carry the vacuum cleaner out to the workshop tomorrow- lots of grit and salt on the path to it and much snow is now melted.

Meanwhile painting railings goes on apace. Only about sixty panels still to do.......

Ground cover done at last (all but)

Evening all.......

Apart from a small L-shaped piece at the right-hand end of the row of shops, all of the ground cover is now done- the missing bit needs painted sandpaper to dry overnight so I can lay cobbles up to roadway.

I've also decided to turn the Rathaus so it is square on across the Marktplatz. This way it will better hide a line in the cobblestones (smoke and mirrors again...) but it does make the alleyway behind it more of a logical shape.

Also done- the third low relief building is finished and attached to the other pair and the lamps have been seated in front of the loading dock. Plus of course the usual set of railings painted but not yet installed- the area behind isn't ready in any area.

post-13358-0-20496100-1328645359_thumb.jpg

The loading dock showing grass in front of railway- a surprising improvement from a one-inch wide strip! Also shows the two Brawa lamps I had left over unused from a previous project, which I will wire in even though they are unlikely to be used. The white pillar cap is a real improvement also, considering the size of it.

One thing has occurred to me- this is a loading dock for alcohol, so will need a security fence. The pallisade type sold by N-Brass should be suitable. I'll look at it at Doncaster on Saturday and also see what other security-type fencing is available. I can't find a suitable prototype picture so may have to "wing" it...

Edited by Les1952

Wednesday- More done than I expected...

Went online to get the exam marking sweepup done (which often takes all day) to discover there were no questions left to mark. So, off to the workshop with vacuum cleaner under arm.

Only disaster is that I'm going to have to replace the three gas cylinders in the loading bay doorway. Problems mainly amounted to granite chips that should have been better stuck. Repair music by the Proclaimers.

post-13358-0-22580900-1328735991_thumb.jpg

Looking along to the shed, showing the new green in front of the railway, and the effect of adding some grot to the ballast. The coal heap is beginning to rise- when that bit dries I'll add another layer. Second Portakabin will be behind the shed.

post-13358-0-12171700-1328736212_thumb.jpg

Better view of the shed with Portakabin and base of coal heap

post-13358-0-06299700-1328735998_thumb.jpg

DM-Toys laser-cut kit for market stall. I'm making three of these, with a set of Faller stalls to go with them.

Time to feed the cats and get coffee....

Edited by Les1952

Cobbles Cobbled!!!!!!

All of the cobbled area is now done, though some edging will still be needed when I bed the buildings in.

All buildings are now in place- time for a progress picture. Progress in 16 weeks from start-

post-13358-0-76304100-1328805481_thumb.jpg

The "new" Vollmer building, imported from Germany for £12 less than the price of the kit, is the Apotheke. The one that was bundled with it has gone on eBay to hopefully get some of the cost back.

post-13358-0-47599000-1328805446_thumb.jpg.

Looking along behind the front row the changes in road surface are apparent, and deliberate. A lot still to do here before the front row get stuck down. It was also deliberate choosing to make the second row of buildings lower than the front row- I didn't want to carbon copy things that have already been done. I may keep the blue coach entering the layout as it will help hide the bottom of the backscene at this point.

post-13358-0-81773800-1328805422_thumb.jpg

The Marktplatz showing the effect of turning the rathaus round, and the market stalls under construction.

post-13358-0-14545200-1328805468_thumb.jpg

Still a lot to do, including bedding in most of the town, but it is getting there.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Friday- fitting uncouplers- first try

First go with Dapol Easi- shunt couplers. Sorry about knocking the camera off its stand at the end..... The loud clicking is the reverse switch on the controller.

I've been experimenting with different types of magnet- the best solution for this layout seems to be four 1mmX 2mm rare Earth magnets laid crosswise in the ballast with the top edge at rail height. Mounting them vertically used more magnets and needed the top one at or above the railhead to work the Brawa cars.

The problem is with the Brawa Interfrigo cars, which have an inordinate abount of vertical slop in the NEM pocket causing the trip pin and thus the coupling to be pulled downwards as much as sideways, even on Microtrains or Dapol big flat magnets. The height the rare earth magnets are laid is the lowest where I can achieve sideways deflection- lower and the Brawa cars won't uncouple, higher and the trip pins attract the magnets in passing.

At least the magnets are so small that when I paint the top edge ballast coloured they'll be all-but invisible unless you know what to look for. There are worse inaccuracies in the trackwork.

Two more videos to follow, and some pictures later- will need to try to get those tomorrow or Sunday.

Edited by Les1952

First pics of the uncouplers.

Not very good, and the second video didn't want to upload- I think the bandwidth is too low at the moment.

post-13358-0-11525200-1328993662_thumb.jpg

Mark 1 magnets under the end of one of the Modellbahn Union wagons.

post-13358-0-34535600-1328993625_thumb.jpg

Mark 2 and 3 magnets in the track- slightly out of focus but can just be made out. Mark 2 is the longer one on the right (5 magnets long) with Mark 3 on the left (4 magnets long. These are mounted on the sleeper tops- Mark 4 involved sinking Mark 3 into the spaces between sleepers, and the "final" version is Mark 5 with 4 magnets sunk into the sleeper gaps until they are just fractionally below railhead level. More pics when I can get some in focus.

Edited by Les1952

More views of the couplings and magnets

Being so small the magnets are proving very difficult to photograph. two more attempts this morning-

post-13358-0-77820200-1329063518_thumb.jpg

Loco with coupler opened, magnet is just visible below the coupler.

post-13358-0-94986500-1329063527_thumb.jpg

Loco and wagon posed above wagon.

Frustrating Monday..(again...)

Hello again.

I sometimes wonder why I do any modelling on Mondays. Trip to B&Q first thing- 25 miles each way- to get some edging to stop the backscene deteriorating further at the vulnerable points. It fits the sides perfectly (just visible in the top photo). Does it fit the back? NO, because we raised it and the strengtheners are double thickness. Homebase has some thicker stuff- only 2 miles from home this time. It can wait until I need to go out for something else.

Next- putting more figures at the top of the staircase. Amazing how I can place a figure perfectly without glue present, but as soon as glue is involved it flies in all directions, and the glue ends up in tiny quantities everywhere EXCEPT where it is supposed to be....

post-13358-0-08790700-1329148071_thumb.jpg

At the top of the staircase is the tourist guide with her green umbrella and all of her group not hearing a word she says about the gateway. The blue building is now bedded in. Strange how the camera autofocuses on the green skip instead of anywhere useful.

post-13358-0-54298700-1329148060_thumb.jpg

More trials of figures in the Marktplatz- how many benches will I need to hide the bottom of the tree tub? Nothing in front of the blue building is yet fixed. I need to build three more market stalls I think as well as the ones here....

Edited by Les1952

Tuesday- naughty man

Take a look through the top left window of the brown building. Can you see the desk? Can you see what is happening ON the desk? Hopefully not too clearly- the bonking boss is now installed but deliberately difficult to see.

post-13358-0-94731800-1329234479_thumb.jpg

Don't fence me in...

At least not completely or the loading dock can't be shunted. Fleetline security fencing sourced at Doncaster last weekend- took me a lot of yesterday to paint and is now in place.

post-13358-0-26433800-1329234454_thumb.jpg

The left-hand end. I used the sliding gate from the "plus gates" pack as it is easier to model it open.

post-13358-0-25058700-1329234471_thumb.jpg

The right-hand end. Superglue used to fix panels to each other, and PVA with scenic scatter spread across it and upwards to represent some of the pallisade fencing I've seen. Once this little lot dries I'll add more vegetation and some clutter into the corners behind it. Photo shows there is STILL work to be done on the track.......

Still painting figures- I need one that looks like Matt Smith......

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Two days in t' workshop and lots of little bits done..

The houses at the back have now been finished and bedded in. Plenty of foliage to hide glue marks and make them less "out of the box".

post-13358-0-38885100-1329406646_thumb.jpg

Of course when the Rathaus is in place you don't get as clear a view. Rathaus and tree also now in place and bedded in.

post-13358-0-73619700-1329406685_thumb.jpg

Camera shows that the line between Faller and Noch cobbles is very pronounced- needs some judicious disguising.

Also done-

• railings along the top over the tunnel mouth
  • all market stalls are complete and waiting installation- this includes stallholders from the pack of Chinese people
  • about 30 Chinese people painted more Germanic colours
  • all remaining houses at the top are now bedded in- only six buildings are now "loose"
  • second portakabin installed behind shed
  • sunflower patch started at the far right end.

post-13358-0-59823100-1329406983_thumb.jpg

My daughter visited last weekend and demanded to know where the pair of Tardis she had bought for me and Mr Simon were on the two layouts....... I felt it would most likely land on the brewery roof as nobody ever finds the Tardis outside of the UK. Finding a Chinese figure that would paint up to look like Dr Who wasn't easy......

More detailing tomorrow......

Edited by Les1952

Friday. Details, details...

Today (and a good deal of yesterday) spent on detail around the Marktplatz area, and today getting the two apartment blocks stuck down. The cruel close-up of one of the blocks shows the need to bed in the edge- though I'm not sure how much will be seen when the front row are in place. Appropriate music today- Munchener Freiheit.

post-13358-0-19984600-1329492561.jpg

At the back of the market is the stall selling "loose" wine- bring your own bottle and it will be filled. Obvuoiusly if the wine isn't good enough to bottle it must be the real rough stuff.

post-13358-0-02094300-1329492595_thumb.jpg

At the front of the market is the flower stall. These are some roses bought from Derby Trees & Scenics, but they started to fall out of their base when I tried to plant them- hence the flower stall- one of the DM Lasercut stalls finished.

post-13358-0-24951800-1329492569_thumb.jpg

Hiding the base of the tree pot to a certain extent are benches for the population of Furtwangen to sit on. Superglue helps disguise the fact that one of the benches (Plus Daughters' finest cheapo ones) has only three legs.

Also today- ten more railings panels and posts painted one side and some sundry figures stuck in place....

Eight weeks to the show. Basic scenery should be complete by next weekend, then on to troubleshooting.......

Another Monday...

and glue sticks anything to anything other than what is wanted, yet again...

post-13358-0-13713000-1329752604_thumb.jpg

Shed interior done- leaving space at the front for a car. A bit basic and a bit over-gluey but that won't be too visible. Notices on the right say West Yorkshire Metro, but I defy anyone to get a magnifier anywhere near them.....

post-13358-0-14758400-1329752591_thumb.jpg

Looking into the shed, not a lot can be seen, but it looks much better with something there. The bits on the bench at the back make up to a Life-Like US truck, cut into three and the odd two pairs of wheels are on the shelving stack at the back. Trestles are leftover Faller from the barrels pack on Evergreen strip laid on end, people from the Chinese bulk pack.

post-13358-0-42082400-1329752595_thumb.jpg

Shine a lot of light and you can see right in. Still some railings to add to obscure this view.

Hikers

Rural Railways at Sileby show last weekend had some Preiser hikers and some Veissmann lamps, one ready-made and one kit. I've used the lamps on the top level, but left the works out of the kit- there is no way I can thread the wires to it and I don't intend to have lamps working.

post-13358-0-66905000-1329753264_thumb.jpg

One hiker by the lamp at top right, sunflowers planted in green patch in corner.

post-13358-0-20471100-1329753259_thumb.jpg

The three hikers who were in walking poses are coming out of the woods. Perhaps I should have removed the shop sign from the flats block before sticking it down.....

post-13358-0-84401700-1329753251_thumb.jpg

Two ready-painted cycles placed prominently at the front (of the twelve bikes so far I've painted eight but these are better done! - eight more waiting painting......) and the remaining pair from the hiker pack have obviously hired bikes and parked up at the Rathaus to visit the market.

More details added, pics to follow.

Oh, and I've been fitting Dapol couplings to one of my B1s and some stock for Stamford East but didn't film it. Maybe tomorrow actually ON Stamford East when Trevor and I sort out his magnets ready for Nottingham show..

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

More details

I felt the bonking boss was probably too close to the front of the layout - certainly for my comfort. Where could a blue scene like this go? Behind blue glass- look for the desk end (bad pun) in what is now the "bonk building". There is a doorway onto that flat roof- sunbather territory?

post-13358-0-92907700-1329768817_thumb.jpg

Closer to the front I felt I needed someone leaning on a shovel in the coal stack, a Graham Farish fireman.

post-13358-0-90753300-1329768829_thumb.jpg

Marktplatz with all stalls in place. Needs more figures, but these will be added slowly as I find appropriate ones- first the rest of the stallholders, then a group of very distinctive figures (nuns or monks probably). Taken before the bank building got its new inhabitants.

post-13358-0-33026700-1329768811_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking out for suitable vans to park in odd corners round the front buildings (mainly behind).

Time for research.......

Edited by Les1952

Dyspraxia rules- KO

I finished the day yesterday by managing to knock the corner building- by this point one of only four not stuck down. Needless to say it ended up on the floor, and partly reduced itself to kit form.

While it was in bits first thing this morning I took the opportunity to add curtains- rather than an interior.

post-13358-0-53904200-1329827645_thumb.jpg

Rebuilt building ready to get stuck down onto the layout.

Progress Pic

Two months to Cotgrave show- this is how it looks. The curtain for the front is now bought ready for making up, and at some stage in the next month or so it will be back to Trevor's for the proscenium arch to be made.

post-13358-0-73116500-1329837314_thumb.jpg

I didn't get to Trevor's today, so the Stamford East job is now next week. A trip to B&Q for some more glue has allowed me to bed in a couple more buildings and install another length of railings. Two buildings left to stick down and the layout is useable, if not the final finished article. Fine details still to do.

Also done today- The kaufhof building and the blue building have their new signs. the Eiscafe Fabio sign has been replaced since the pic after I realised it wasn't really readable. The blue bank has its sign "Deutsche Bank" over the entrance also.

post-13358-0-68550000-1329837302_thumb.jpg

Plenty to do, especially in getting the railway detailed.....

• Like 1

Thursday update

Not the busiest two days, partly because tyime needed to be spent on other things- Friday shopping done a day early etc.....

Added to that most time has been spent on little things like edging etc, so not a lot changes from picture to picture.

post-13358-0-47759200-1330024213_thumb.jpg

The bonk building..... sorry, bank building has it's name and the market has its notice. Nuns and street musicians on order. Painting denim shorts on the pink legs of the Chinese girl figure in the foreground seems to have worked.

Also ordered a Noch track cleaner set to see if it will get the tramway track clean enough under all of the overhead obstructions. It will look odd under the only freight stock that will run on the tramway- I'll video it when the track is reasonably clean, but not spoil the surprise.

Tram pointwork at the front is now grassed, and the points still work. Sun this afternoon was too strong- I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Now for Bingham MRC club night, (might get another show out of it).........

Edited by Les1952

Friday bits....

A nice box this morning from Gaugemaster containing street musicians, nuns and Noch track cleaner pads. The nun pic is out of focus and I forgot what it was I couldn't photograph yestedray due to the low sun.....

post-13358-0-26407200-1330097454_thumb.jpg

Tramway track cleaner running. The 04 is small enough to take the tram corners where a larger loco won't. I suppose the Minitrix Glaskastern would also do the job, and maybe wouldn't stall at the top of the hill where there is a sharp change of gradient.

Tomorrow to Wendy's to look at signals.......

Edited by Les1952

PS- I DID get another show out of last night's meeting. Exact details will be posted when confirmed.

That makes two definite and two waiting confirmation, and with Trevor's Stamford East going out to Nottingham, Cotgrave NGS show in May, Loughborough and Warley that makes for quite a few busy weekends......

Must press on.

Edited by Les1952

Sunday morning- publicity shots

As the sun hadn't got round to the workshop windows and Mr Simon hadn't appeared I took the opportunity to go out and get a set of high resolution pictures for Bingham MRC's show publicity. It had been suggested that a set of pics showing trains or trams would be a good idea, so here goes.

post-13358-0-46208600-1330255250_thumb.jpg

Yellow diesel passes through with a freight, tram for Freiburg taking crossover to loop line.

post-13358-0-37503400-1330255279_thumb.jpg

Yellow diesel continues its journey passing a coal delivery to the eisenbahnfreunde.

Trip yesterday to Wendy's for street lights (which weren't suitable), signals (which were), and figures also yielded another 10-pack of Dapol magnetic couplings. That means the yellow diesel and the rest of the brewery freight stock can be fitted with them. I'll probably need another pack to do the spare loco for Stamford East as well. There are quite a few older wagons with Rapidos but I have three diesels that can work these as through trains.

Tomorrow's job is getting the timber for the proscenium and fitting the signals. If I have any suitable switches I'll wire them in as well, but this might have to wait.

Edited by Les1952

Exhibition date

Subject to final confirmation, Furtwangen Ost will appear at the British Horological Institue, Upton Hall near Newark, at their Summer show, entitled "Railway Time" on Friday to Sunday, June 8th to 10th, 2012.

Connection with time- Furtwangen is the home of the Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, the German equivalent of the museum section of Upton Hall.

Absolutely love the look of this layout and the thread is a really entertaining read!

I'm trying to decide on starting a new european layout and this is certainly giving me some inspirational food for thought. Keep it up and more videos please!!!!

Ian B