Furtwangen Ost

Les1952

Yet ANOTHER update.

Furtwangen Ost will be at TRAINWEST at Springfield Campus, Corsham, Wilts (formerly at Melksham) on April 9th and 10th 2016.

Looks like I won't be selling the layout just yet.....

Les

• 4 weeks later...

Still acquiring stock

Yes, I know it is photographed on the wrong layout, but this little beast will be making its debut at Spalding.   Originally owned by Trevor Webster, this has now fallen into my hands and, once run-in, it will add a little variety to the historic railbuses.

post-13358-0-69552300-1441822850_thumb.jpg

I've now got my final instructions from Spalding, and operators will be Saturday  Jim, Mr Simon and myself (the same team as at RMWeb Live), Sunday Jim, Geoff and myself.

Hope to see some of you there.

Les

BTW the railcar IS analogue, I had the power off....

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two more updates.

1.  The latest N-gauge Society Journal has an article by me originally entitled "Model Railways as Theatre" (but for some reason retitled "The Theatre of Model Railways") featuring Furtwangen Ost and Hawthorn Dene.

2.  Furtwangen Ost has been booked to appear at Loughbrough in September 2016.  More details when I find the paper...

Les

• 1 month later...

Set up at Spalding.

Come and say hello.  We are stand 31.

post-13358-0-79726300-1447485138_thumb.jpg

This beast popped its driveshaft last time out, the Arnold railcar.  Getting said driveshaft back was a bit of a nightmare.  By comparison the Dapol drive shafts are easy.  This one is difficult to see with locations that pop out very easily, especially while trying to get the other end home.  The shaft is also located under the circuit board......

post-13358-0-46708400-1447485139_thumb.jpg

I keep saying I'll put show pics up - I do that for Hawthorn Dene also- but somehow or other I never seem to get round to taking them.  At least today the camera has gone in the bag.

Les

As promised, some pics from Spalding.

I made the discovery that I can get better close-ups with the phone than with the camera.  These were taken with the phone.  Another post of shots from the camera later.

post-13358-0-21184600-1447674434_thumb.jpg

Not the best shot, but the best one so far of the Boss Man on the brewery.

post-13358-0-62736200-1447674435_thumb.jpg

Much better in close-up.  I started a row of dahlias in front of the factory.  I'll probably add a few more before Bournville.

post-13358-0-60119700-1447674436_thumb.jpg

Again one that has hhown up a lot better than before, the diggers covering up the ripin the road surface where I took the track up.  Combino tram in the background and the tramway Authorities are starting to grow some vegetation up the mast in the yard.

post-13358-0-12644400-1447674438_thumb.jpg

A view seen before, but closer.  The knight and brickwork on the arch, showing how much both benefited from a little paint.

post-13358-0-21902400-1447674439_thumb.jpg

Lastly, from the layout front.  the dog attacking the porter isn't quite in fous, but the cat on the wall behind is clear to see.  This one shows up very well the gaps and poor angles here that the punter generally doesn't see...

The show went well, despite being crowded in closely.  We've introduced train driving certificates for junior visitors, which went down very well on their first outing.  One guy asked if we had been in Continental Modeller.  Unfortunately I was on a comfort break at the time and Geoff didn't get details of who he was.  However the next outing is Bournville in three weeks time and Continental Modeller will be there.  We can but hope they notice us......

Les

• Like 2

Spalding pics from the camera

post-13358-0-39454900-1447705783_thumb.jpg

Firstly the setup, showing just how close we were to the layouts either side.  Note that on the right there are actually TWO operating spaces.

post-13358-0-96932300-1447705781_thumb.jpg

The Boss Man, as close in as the digital camera was prepared to actually focus.  It comes to something when you can get better pictures on a phone than a camera.....

post-13358-0-72919700-1447705780_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a view the punters don't usually see.  The fiddle yard in all its glory mid-show.  Trams have arrived and trains are as left by Mr Simon after playing at the end of Saturday's show.  Against the backscene are the envelope for the fuel receipts to be handed in for expenses, and the one with the dinner tickets inside.  The controller for the tramway is stowed in the only place that it will fit out of the way.   Yes that is a class 04 you can see at the far end of the tramway loop.  We played with the idea of a maintenance train on the tramway and this was the only loco that would go through the arch while pulling a wagon.   A Kof would have been better but I don't have one.

The layout is set up in the workshop with the proscenium attached so a friend can take some pics for a U3A project.  While it is up I've got a couple of switches to set up  replace.  After Bournville it will be stood on end to clear the shed for Gresby to be erected at Christmas while Mr Simon does some work on it.   The first show next year is Trainwest, unless I hear back from Sleaford.  Last show on the list is now Loughborough in September.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Close and personal.

With Trevor G coming along last week to take some close-up photos I thought I'd get in on the act and see what I could get with the mobile phone.  I still think a phone is for making telephone calls with....

post-13358-0-36872700-1448635122_thumb.jpg

To start with a lot of pages ago someone asked me why I wanted to detail to the back of the tram shed.  I replied "for wheelchair users."  Here is the wheelchair-bound eye-level view into the tram shed.  I need to get rid of the foliage from around the wheel of the lorry (which is that way round because the front is too obviously Japanese).  Citadel's rotting flesh paint makes a convincing municipal green for the wall.  The lamp is a leftover from the kit and the notices give an air of authenticity, even if nobody is ever going to read them.

post-13358-0-30527700-1448635126_thumb.jpg

In between the running lines at the trambahnhof is a row of shrub tubs, mostly to hide joins in the running rail's concrete surroundigs.  These two figures are seated here.  Is there a reason why Frau Thing has her back turned to Herr Gubbins?  Does he have a past we know nothing about?

post-13358-0-75806500-1448635136.jpg

Of course, any Continental Marktplatz must have a group of nuns out doing their shopping.   There are six altogether- the five pictured here and another one a little didtance away.  We ask children to count them and they usually manage to miss Sister Hail-Mary....  Have the nuns had a fall-out?  One of them is seated in splendid isolation from the rest.

post-13358-0-09826700-1448635582_thumb.jpg

Returning to details inside places, the goods loading dock has stuff inside all the way to the back, just in case a wheelchair user or small child should look in when there aren't wagons blocking the view.

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Furtwangen Ost is now back on its stands in the workshop.

The loop point on the uphill end of the tramway loop has failed again.  This time the point motor fires but the blades don't move with it- the plastic link from switch to blade has broken.

Five days work to change it- I must get this done this side of Christmas as on 23rd Gresby gets set up over Christmas.   Then Hawthorn Dene gets re-erected to get ready for Doncaster.  The next schedule gap is in March-April but I've the Club show and 3 performances of HMS Pinafore to fit in between HD coming back from Lincoln and Furtwangen going off to Trainwest.  How did I ever find time to teach?

Fortunately the solenoid is OK, and I have a working replacement point.

Les

Good news is that Soar Valley have confirmed Furtwangen for Loughborough in September.

Well, I managed to get the old point out without too much damage to the scenery -BUT

I managed to cut through the wires to the solenoid so close to the point that I couldn't solder them together again.  The layout was then stuck looking like this for a few days - I was rather worried that it might be a lot longer.

post-13358-0-25084900-1450391554_thumb.jpg

Modellbahn Union to the rescue.  Replacement point ordered on Sunday evening, delivered this morning.  More expensive than Plaza Japan, but a lot quicker.

post-13358-0-46012300-1450391060_thumb.jpg

The new point in place, tested and working.  Trams run through with no problem.  I'd managed to get the overhead lifted out of the way without tangling it, so replanting the posts realigned the "wires" - a beauty of using a very stretchy elastic.   Now to replace the fencing and put back the porter and cat.

post-13358-0-81545300-1450391061_thumb.jpg

This pic shows up how easy it is to slice the feed wires to the solenoid if lifting the point.Not a huge amount to do to repair the grass alongside the track, and I have plenty of scatter in stock.  This means Furtwangen Ost will be on its end at the back of the workshop in time for Gresby to be erected over Christmas.

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Newsflash-

The advert for April's Continental Modeller in the Current RM shows enough of the cover to confirm that Furtwangen Ost is in the mag next month (next week?)

Not only that but there is even a picture on the front cover!   Admittedly it isn't the main one.

I'll no doubt see a few of you at TrainWest next month.

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well-

CONTINENTAL MODELLER is on sale.

Eight pages devoted to Furtwangen Ost.  Pictures have come out very well and the captions are brilliant.   

This weekend it goes back onto its stands to be prepared for Trainwest.

Les

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Trainwest, which I've decided is to be its penultimate show.

Calculating the distance travelled, over the course of a weekend each tram covers about 200 return trips from the fiddle yard at one end to the fiddle yard at the other and back. That is almost a mile. Three of the trams are originals and have run at every show, with a few of the others having several miles of running. As a replacement tram fleet is about £100 a time for more Modemo ones or £150 at least per tram for German prototypes I'm not sure I want to afford to do it.

The layout will retire after the Loughborough show at the start of September and will become a private layout.

Before Trainwest I had YET ANOTHER problem with the king point on the tramway. On the Monday before the shed I discovered it jammed straight, and no amount of persuasion would change that. I had to lift the track around the point and have replaced it with one that is almost stuck curved, which at least allowed the tramway to operate. Yet another order to Japan for a new point before the last show in September.

Many thanks to all at Trainwest for looking after us very well.

Les

Sorry to hear the layout is retiring, but it sounds like the right decision, mileage-wise! Having seen the layout at several shows I've been very inspired in my own meagre tramway efforts and, although I've not as yet got a layout to show, I've been inspired to borrow (steal?) one of your ideas, using a Faller tower structure with an archway for the tram to pass under!

Sorry to hear the layout is retiring, but it sounds like the right decision, mileage-wise! Having seen the layout at several shows I've been very inspired in my own meagre tramway efforts and, although I've not as yet got a layout to show, I've been inspired to borrow (steal?) one of your ideas, using a Faller tower structure with an archway for the tram to pass under!

I'm glad to have been of service.  All the best ideas are nicked from someone else.  My layouts are a mixture of nicked and reworked ideas, which somehow or other manage to look like a cohesive whole.  I'm not always sure how.....

Les

• 1 month later...

Yet more repairs

I've picked up another show booking, at Osbournby (Sleaford) on June 25th, so the repairs planned for August have been moved forward  Instead of spending my time out from online marking doing funny things with OO couplers for No Place, I'e now got Furtwangen on the stands and the new point I got from Japan after Trainwest has now been laid in.

If you think these pics look remarkably like a previous set it is because it is the same bit lifted again (or is is again again --- or again again again?)

post-13358-0-50426600-1464818759_thumb.jpg

That point again- the latest one.

post-13358-0-40246300-1464818758_thumb.jpg

The amount of incline that has had to be lifted to get the point out.

post-13358-0-96932000-1464818835_thumb.jpg

And down again, though this time I've put in a pair of shorter straights instead of a long one- the shorter ones came from Japan with the new point- I had to buy a passing loop set to get a right-hand point as they had no right-hand electric points in stock.  The new one is hand-operated, or was until I slid the motor off the old point and slid it onto the new.

Testing tomorrow then the scenics can start- but no superglue this time, PVA doesn't give off fumes that stick point blades solid.......

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Repairs done and tested. The tramway is working correctly again. New grass laid on the hill and a replacement lamp post found in the spares box (don't ask) for the one that had the bent-over top. I've also repainted the road at the top, or at least the bit leading up to the parking area.

Pics to follow (maybe tomorrow)

Les

High magnification- cruel enlargements.

post-13358-0-75759500-1465908109_thumb.jpg

The new point in place.  

post-13358-0-49850500-1465908108_thumb.jpg

Grass restored to the bank - but still shows there are lines that need to be eliminated.

post-13358-0-25187900-1465908113_thumb.jpg

I've replaced the lamp post on the steps, where the top was bent and eventually snapped off.  This one shows the paving needs to be seated properly at this end of the loop.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sleaford Show

held at Osbournby Village Hall-

Another "Best in Show" trophy!

post-13358-0-58682200-1466879811_thumb.jpg

Gobsmacked again.  Best layout as chosen by the punters.  Best layout as chosen by the exhibitors and Sleaford Club members was Spilsby, a fine GNR layout in OO.

Must lie down

Les

I've re-stuck the plaque as the glue was failing.

More pics to follow.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Some more close-ups.

post-13358-0-73897800-1466969949_thumb.jpg

First another failure of Setrack.   This one has been cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol only.    From now on I will NEVER use a solvent on my track..... 

It fell apart while we were setting up, and I had forgotten the spare Setrack pieces I keep in a box just in case.  Fortunately I DID have the soldering iron with me, and soldered the fishplates at each end solid.  The point isn't looking too hot so I'll have to replace three pieces (point, straight and curve, though I might get away with keeping the curve) before the final show.

post-13358-0-02458900-1466969952_thumb.jpg

A cruel close up of the dead Wismar railbus.  Must get the vacuum into that area to get rid of stray grass bits...

post-13358-0-66842500-1466970186_thumb.jpg

We ran the Waldbahn railcar for part of the day, having pushed the wall on the corner firmly back into place.  It behaved itself, which it hadn't done last time out.

Time to feed the cat again

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Furtwangen Ost has now been sold, and paid for.

Just a couple of repairs to do while the cheque clears then it is off to its new home as a private layout.

Proceeds will be used to buy the track for "Croft Spa", which I will bore the pants off everyone with as soon as the baseboards arrive.   

One more post with some images taken at Loughborough show this weekend and then that's it.

Very many thanks to all who have taken an interest in the layout.  It has been a learning curve....

Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Furtwangen Ost has now been delivered to its new home, where its new owner's grandson was very keen for school today to finish by all accounts...

The final set of pictures..

post-13358-0-63329200-1473967033_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-89519300-1473967039_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-88191800-1473967041_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-69305400-1473967044_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-92747700-1473967046_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-03369200-1473967049_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-37843800-1473967050_thumb.jpg

and finally...

post-13358-0-96978700-1473967199_thumb.jpg

My workshop still contains No Place and Hawthorn Dene, and Croft Spa will commence build at the start of the new year. Then there's always Rise Park to bore you with.

Les

N Gauge Society members will be horrified to learn there are at least two articles that have been sent to the editor with pictures of Furtwangen Ost included, so you haven't QUITE heard the last of it

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

Having sold Furtwangen Ost nearly three years ago I miss modelling German.

Accordingly the next layout is provisionally FURTWANGEN II (Furtwangen Zwei), though the name will evolve  between now and the time it is built.

So far decided-

N-gauge

Roundy-roundy with branch rising at one end and some kind of industry set at a higher level on the branch.

NO trams this time but might have a Faller roadway if I can get it in without looking too crowded.

DCC

Overhead wires on the main line.

Black Forest setting but a "might have been" setting.

Overall size 8 feet by 2 feet on two boards.

One POSSIBLE scenario.

The German Government is investigating about 45 lines that were closed in the sixties to eighties with a view to reopening about a dozen of them.  The Bregtalbahn fits the criteria though I can't see it reopening.  However that does give me a "might have been" for a modern image reopened Bregtalbahn  running through to Neukirch with a branch to Gutenbach (or vice versa).  This in reality would never be built as the modern Martin Schmitt Strasse has been built along the trackbed through Furtwangen.

An alternative would be to have a seventies line from Freiburg via Sankt Peter and Sankt Marghen to Gutenbach then to Furtwangen and on to Donaueschingen via the route of the Bregtalbahn with a junction to the West of Furtwangen to serve Neukirch.  The junction would be at a hamlet about where a stream called the Bregenbach crosses the present day L173 road.

Bregenbach ….. hmmmmm.  Sounds like a good name for the layout.  I'll have to think about this.

In the meantime a taster- the new DCC fitted BR78 testing on Hawthorn Dene with a rake of silberlingen.

IMG_1812.JPG.88f7af2da3f1514d56f8cd3331cf355f.JPG

Whether this will be an enthusiasts train or a branch working is yet to be decided.

Les

• Like 3

Looking at it a little longer and poring over the map I'm going with the second location, where the L13 road crosses the Bregenbach (stream), but if I go present day I can still have vintage electrics on the main line as 

I, several retired electrics have been sold to private operators  and

ii, preservation groups have been hiring out their locos to open access operators - there is a nice picture in Todays Railways Europe of a Class E10.2 in TEE livery working for its keep earlier this year. 

The gradients on this line would be as severe as on the Hollentalbahn which would keep train lengths short- needed on an eight-foot layout.  

This sitting thinking while Mr Simon plays with builds Gresby in my workshop is paying some dividends.  I'll start a new thread for the layout towards the back end of 2020 But in the mean time pics of bits will accumulate in this thread - Bregenbach is only a little further WEST of Furtwangen centre than Furtwangen Ost is to the East....

Les

Edited by Les1952
more typos...