Heljan Class 27

rorz101uk

David Russon's shot of D5382 also with small yellow panels and with the Royal Train blanking plate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127815237@N05/26182453818/in/photolist-dAfvCt-aeKMMD-FTDVky-aQJKYx-L99ELM-Vxk5TA-bfsp3X-MCpDoZ-AbGMAm-d7m5fy-i9jw7B-9xZSg2-9y3GV5-9xZJfH-

I am guessing Derby Works had the pair in for a spruce up and Royal Train mods and turned them both out in TTG SYP livery. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Looks like they were really finished using that turntable pit there...

Green 26/7 with yellow ends, white strip and BR double arrow I see there... thats an odd one.

Where was these pictures taken, if I might enquire ?, would this be 1968/9 ?

Edited by adb968008

Looks like they were really finished using that turntable pit there...

Green 26/7 with yellow ends, white strip and BR double arrow I see there... thats an odd one.

Where was these pictures taken, if I might enquire ?, would this be 1968/9 ?

Yes the one behind 5380 at Polmadie in August 71 is 5406 whilst the others of D5380 were taken at Leicester in August 1969.

• Like 1

Some random observations and ramblings from me:

The two-tone green sits very well on the 27s. Modelling a Southern bias, I cannot justify a class 27 at all (they were extremely rare on Southern metals even before being sent up north), but the one Heljan did in that livery, D5382, was almost too tempting. I say almost, because I didn't buy one in the end.

The only reference I have of a class 27 on the SR was D5381, which was in multiple with class 25 D5183 - a fascinating pairing in its own right due to each being an anagram of the other. I have done a model of D5183, using a Triang-Hornby body on a Bachmann chassis.

I can't help wondering whether BR might have treated some class 33s to the two-tone green livery, if the blue hadn't come along when it did. That could be an interesting might-have-been. If I can get a cheap Heljan 33 (how likely is that?? :D ) I may just try it, using the 27 as the 'template' for the livery colour divisions.

• 11 months later...

Chatting with the staff on the Heljan Stand at Warley, apparently there is a container currently on its way which contains 0 gauge items that and probably some 00. If the new batch of Class 27’s is in it then they’ll be sent out in the New Year rather than sitting in parcel depots over the winter holidays, so I wouldn’t expect them available until ‘Early 2020’ rather than ‘4th quarter 2019’. 
I expect I’ll need to decorate the base of the Xmas tree with empty boxes.

(Happy New Year!)

Brian.

• 1 month later...

Rails announced today they're due in next week.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?Personalise=false&searchTerm=class+27&Manufacturer=Heljan&Category=Class+27&Availability=Forthcoming+release+-+pre+order&SortMethod=Relevance&PageSize=24&fbclid=IwAR0VOb_CkP5ZCEUqZkLeZNRPfpNPmq40xPscWQI-4KhpUg9ZV1loWDnYc8c

• RMweb Gold

Am a bit confused on Heljan2716..

27030 Eastfield Scottie dog version.

Hattons says it’s weathered.. showing an image of 27030

Rails says it’s no boiler tanks.. but listed as 27029.

neither’s image looks weathered, but light weathering might not show

Does anyone know ?

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Am a bit confused on Heljan2716..

27030 Eastfield Scottie dog version.

Hattons says it’s weathered.. showing an image of 27030

Rails says it’s no boiler tanks.. but listed as 27029.

neither’s image looks weathered, but light weathering might not show

Does anyone know ?

Photos of the actual models are up on the Gaugemaster website.

Heljan 2716

27030, Blue FYE, Eastfield Westie dog, no boiler tank, unweathered.

Heljan 2718

27029, Blue FYE, Inverness Stag (Black on Yellow), no boiler tanks, unweathered.

They all look very tempting, I particularly like 27001 in GFE. Although it was short lived in this style, I am a sucker for green TOPS numbered locos.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, turbos said:

Photos of the actual models are up on the Gaugemaster website.

Heljan 2716

27030, Blue FYE, Eastfield Westie dog, no boiler tank, unweathered.

Heljan 2718

27029, Blue FYE, Inverness Stag (Black on Yellow), no boiler tanks, unweathered.

They all look very tempting, I particularly like 27001 in GFE. Although it was short lived in this style, I am a sucker for green TOPS numbered locos.

Brian.

sorry but confusion still persists, more so now..

it shows 2716 as 27030 Weathered, but the image really doesnt look weathered to me ?

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Heljan-hn2716.html

ive gone the safe route and skipped ordering it for now and stick to the other 3 unweathered ones, Haymarket, Inverness and the 27/1. Scottie dog unweathered is my want though.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

sorry but confusion still persists, more so now..

it shows 2716 as 27030 Weathered, but the image really doesnt look weathered to me ?

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Heljan-hn2716.html

ive gone the safe route and skipped ordering it for now and stick to the other 3 unweathered ones, Haymarket, Inverness and the 27/1. Scottie dog unweathered is my want though.

Probably the wise thing to do, weathering can be a bit Marmite.

27001 weathering is in my opinion, one of the better rtr weathering I’ve seen. So hopefully 27030 will be acceptable.

After waiting a long time for a new batch of TOPS 27s from Heljan, this new batch is a bit overwhelming. I want them all! But bank account says only one, maybe two, or three if I can manage without food for a bit!

Brian

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, turbos said:

this new batch is a bit overwhelming. I want them all! But bank account says only one, maybe two, or three if I can manage without food for a bit!

In the same boat. I had 10 of the class 26's when the did the new batch a couple of years ago. Prior to them being released they were going for silly money on eBay so I got one of each and 3 of the coal sector.

Want a few of these 27's but will need to pick up piecemeal over the year as got to many other commitments right now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Scottish-Exile said:

In the same boat. I had 10 of the class 26's when the did the new batch a couple of years ago. Prior to them being released they were going for silly money on eBay so I got one of each and 3 of the coal sector.

Want a few of these 27's but will need to pick up piecemeal over the year as got to many other commitments right now.

I still have 2x Lima 27’s.. couldnt get Heljan Blue ones for love or money. Feeling a bit starved there, I have a couple of green ones already.

I was mighty jealous of your 26 collection at the time ! - I have around 5 Heljan 26’s but also 5 Lima ones... Picked those cheap Heljan chassis on ebay and bought the sprues from Howes / flushglaze to upgrade my Lima ones, though its an easy upgrade its sitting on my to do pile still. The Lima 27/7 body with flush glazing sits relatively ok with Heljans ones.

If the ED one turns up weathered, i’ve got a supply of Replica Railways Scottie dogs (dating back to c1989) in my transfers box... i may finally upgrade my lima 27037 or go for a duplicate 27104 and renumber it 27048 (irony as that was is post 1982 number) and get my Scottie dog that way...

(flickr url, not my image)

27048 (D5387) 25.05.1986

oddly enough the last time I saw a working 27, it was in BR Green, at Aviemore station clearing points on Dec 30th 1990 during the great highland snow event, at BRs request. Theres a video out there of it out there breaking the BR preserved diesel ban.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

my credit card was just charged for 27029 / 27033 .. Haymarket and Inverness examples on their way..

if anyone gets the Eastfield one, if they can confirm if its “weathered” or not its appreciated.. ive yet to see an image of it weathered..so far the images are pristine.

Edited by adb968008

41 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

my credit card was just charged for 27029 / 27033 .. Haymarket and Inverness examples on their way..

if anyone gets the Eastfield one, if they can confirm if its “weathered” or not its appreciated.. ive yet to see an image of it weathered..so far the images are pristine.

Could someone please also confirm product 2717 is 27033 and not 27012 as originally planned? Thanks.

1 hour ago, WILLIAM said:

Could someone please also confirm product 2717 is 27033 and not 27012 as originally planned? Thanks.

Looking on Hattons website, it list 2717 as 27033 with Haymarket emblem.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/426023/heljan_2717_class_27_27033_in_br_blue_with_haymarket_depot_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

Regards Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to admit knowing whats being released has been confusing, Rails, Hattons, Kernow all have differing numbering/weathering /picture combinations that dont all align across the 4 TOPS blue ones.

Nothing on Heljans website or Facebook.

I guess lets see what number turns up with each logo and if its weathered or not. I recall at Warley 2018 asking at the Heljan stand and being told all 4 were unweathered, which caught my original excitement, but since Eastfield apparently is.. even if the pictures look like its not.

Edited by adb968008

I have just received the email from Rails of Sheffield announcing the arrival of the Class 27. Their website now shows 27030 in weathered condition. It looks okay but a bit heavy on the yellow ends. Wanted one with an ED Westie but somewhat put off by the weathering, I guess that the ends could be cleaned up or as a last resort, repainted. 

John