Heljan Class 27

rorz101uk

still waiting for the BR Blue version with TOPS numbers which became 27001 to 27023.

Of course there are No prizes for guessing which example I would prefer....

I can't manage 16 but I have done 19 -

post-8271-0-01543500-1350637082_thumb.jpg

I got fed up of waiting! kev.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Realise this is a little old but really struggling with this. Does anyone have a nice clear image showing what pipe goes where? The Heljan one is terrible and from what I can find on the web nothing tells me if I should include the air control pipes or which is higher, the main reservoir pipes or the air brake pipes.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the image, is there any evidence that the connections were ever used when the locomotives were hauling trains? 

The description given with the picture says ". . . here we see D5371 and D5370 departing from Neville Hill Leeds with a train of empty steel bolsters for Tees Yard 18th April 1962. . . ", so looks like they were active on a train in service.  The publisher has also posted a picture of the same thing on Class 25s on the same working, this time on March 21st, 1962.  Again, the information given says that the train is departing, not just stabled:

3619290551_55c2f78660_z.jpg

Neville Hill East, Leeds. by cabsaab900, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 2

Hi,

Have the new batch of 27's got improved lights - very poor on my example! Haven't got round to do anything with them yet - spent the money on a 'sound decoder'!

Bill.

I can't give you an answer as I don't own a Class 27.  However, if you mean they are dim, it's worth bearing in mind that they always were on the prototype (and this wasn't limited to Class 27s), unlike today's LED lights.  With all my locos, I turn the lights down to the dimmest CV value settings and I will also disconnect one of the tail lights as only one was used.

If you do want them brighter, have you tried changing the lighting CV value upwards?  If you are using a Version 4 sound decoder, make sure you follow instructions for doing this, otherwise you can affect other CV values.

Edited by BR(S)

Brian is absolutely right - the working arrangements for the E&G push-pulls stipulated that, unlike normal traffic which required a red light to the rear (to confirm the completeness of the train), they must display two. The 27s (and most other Eastfield allocated diesels for that matter) had individual switches for each lamp, enabling the two reds to be switched on together.

This instruction caused an unexpected issue when the 47/7s arrived as they, like all 47s at the time, had one three-position toggle switch which allowed for only one red light to be switched on - the middle position was off, forward or backward switched on only one lamp. The (temporary) fix was to have an oil lamp placed on the bracket opposite the illuminated tail lamp on the loco when propelling, a practice which continued until the switches were altered to illuminate both lamps. It did look a bit odd for a time, the (then) premier and modern sets on the ScR running with an electric and oil lamp at the same time......must admit I preferred the 27s on the job (or any other job for that matter) but it wrecked them, poor wee engines!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brian is absolutely right - the working arrangements for the E&G push-pulls stipulated that, unlike normal traffic which required a red light to the rear (to confirm the completeness of the train), they must display two. The 27s (and most other Eastfield allocated diesels for that matter) had individual switches for each lamp, enabling the two reds to be switched on together.

This instruction caused an unexpected issue when the 47/7s arrived as they, like all 47s at the time, had one three-position toggle switch which allowed for only one red light to be switched on - the middle position was off, forward or backward switched on only one lamp. The (temporary) fix was to have an oil lamp placed on the bracket opposite the illuminated tail lamp on the loco when propelling, a practice which continued until the switches were altered to illuminate both lamps. It did look a bit odd for a time, the (then) premier and modern sets on the ScR running with an electric and oil lamp at the same time......must admit I preferred the 27s on the job (or any other job for that matter) but it wrecked them, poor wee engines!

sorry to go slightly OT, but this answers a question from the 'scottish region photos' prototype thread - someone posted a pic of a trailing DBSO with one built-in tail light lit and a separate tail lamp on the other side. (must've been a faulty tail light)

EDIT: was in the 'waverley west' layout thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west/page-32&do=findComment&comment=964539

Edited by keefer