Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, jf2682 said:

Finally will be able to replace the erroneous Mk BCK I placeholder have in my 1960 Caledonian for the correct LMS BFK porthole!

Just need an LMS 50' Kitchen to complete.

JF

IIRC there was a magazine article on a fairly straightforward conversion of an RTR 50' BG to a Kitchen Car using Brass sides.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

IIRC there was a magazine article on a fairly straightforward conversion of an RTR 50' BG to a Kitchen Car using Brass sides.

Reasonably straightforward using Comet sides and castings added to the old Mainline/Bachmann BG.

M55 on here. Under the LMS coaches section.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

Instructions here.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/pdf/M55.pdf

What I found was if you can solder a bit of brass to another bit of brass then it's just as easy building the kit.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Reasonably straightforward using Comet sides and castings added to the old Mainline/Bachmann BG.

M55 on here. Under the LMS coaches section.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

Instructions here.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Catalog/pdf/M55.pdf

What I found was if you can solder a bit of brass to another bit of brass then it's just as easy building the kit.

Jason

Then its just a matter of finding a reasonable match for Bachmanns very good rendition of BR maroon. Any suggestions? 

On 06/06/2019 at 18:10, MikeParkin65 said:

Then its just a matter of finding a reasonable match for Bachmanns very good rendition of BR maroon. Any suggestions? 

You can match the Bachmann maroon using Ford Burgundy Red. However,  I find to get a far closer match, use a grey etch primer and then after it's thoroughly dry apply Matt 67 (yes really) from a rattle can then apply the Ford Burgundy red. There is no need to heavily apply it. I'll try to find a picture of coaches so treated.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/06/2019 at 18:10, MikeParkin65 said:

I've had a look and I can't find any Bachmann maroon coaches to compare with. I don't think I've actually got any. I thought I had some Mark Ones, but they are all still Mainline. That shows how old they are.

I also used to use Halfords car paints. Alas they seem to not be as good as they were, I believe they changed the chemicals in them. But it was a coat of red oxide primer, then a coat or two of Rover Damask Red. That combination was recommended in one of the magazines, other car manufacturers paints colours will be similar (such as the Ford). It's probably a case of experimenting to see what looks right.

I've now switched to Phoenix for most new purchases of paint.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, davidw said:

You can match the Bachmann maroon using Ford Burgundy Red. However,  I find to get a far closer match, use a grey etch primer and then after it's thoroughly dry apply Matt 67 (yes really) from a rattle can then apply the Ford Burgundy red. There is no need to heavily apply it. I'll try to find a picture of coaches so treated.

As promised20180107_221953.jpg.2185f3f099ea803761cc762ba850a54b.jpg

This is a resided MK1 kitchen.

20180501_223559.jpg.d3257475999cd478fa945277b3bf6582.jpg

A resided  Thompson as an RF next to a Bachmann mk1. Hornby mk1's behind. They match the bachman maroon very closely

Edited by davidw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The new maroon Portholes have a modification to the bogies compared to the original crimson and cream version. The bogies now have a crosspiece moulding at the coupling end, which avoids that end of the bogie sideframes being pushed apart causing excess play in the wheel axle at that end

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, rembrow said:

The new maroon Portholes have a modification to the bogies compared to the original crimson and cream version. The bogies now have a crosspiece moulding at the coupling end, which avoids that end of the bogie sideframes being pushed apart causing excess play in the wheel axle at that end

Thanks for answering my question before I asked it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2019 at 22:20, MikeParkin65 said:

Managed to buy both the Brake 1st and Brake 3rd from the Severn Valley Railway shop at Bridgnorth whilst the real thing (the Brake 3rd - I’m not sure they have a Brake 1st)  were sat in the platform :)

Mike. I can assure you we don't have a BFK. We would love a BCK though.

We have 3 BSK's and the only 60ft porthole CK in running condition. 

We are incredibly lucky to have 10 running Staniers and a Stove R with a view to restoring 26921 ( BSK at Bridgnorth ) to make 11. 

Edited by SVR C & W
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, rembrow said:

Thanks for answering that question, I got so sick of mine spreading the bogies and derailing that those which didn't get new bogies got sidelined and I cancelled my pre orders for the Maroon release. I might be tempted with a couple if they've fixed the bogies, but I bet the ride height is still a bit low...

The modified bogies on mine do have the additional front member but the slop in the wheels is still excessive.  I realise that the metal strip/bearings can be bent inwards to take up the slop but the bogies are still very skinny and cannot be used for wider gauges (EM or P4) because of the unfortunately narrow axle (23.55mm on one random sample) used by Bachmann.  I hope that decent replacement bogies will eventually become available to enhance the splendid upper parts of these coaches for those of us who have adopted wider gauge trackwork.

Stan

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Thanks for answering that question, I got so sick of mine spreading the bogies and derailing that those which didn't get new bogies got sidelined and I cancelled my pre orders for the Maroon release. I might be tempted with a couple if they've fixed the bogies, but I bet the ride height is still a bit low...

Interesting. Ive got both the first release and the new maroon release and I havent suffered particular derailment problems with either on my less than perfect track and less than perfectly flat baseboards! I did perform Coachmans (where is Coachman these days?) modification of adding a washer under the bogies to raise the ride height slightly - dont know if this makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Interesting. Ive got both the first release and the new maroon release and I havent suffered particular derailment problems with either on my less than perfect track and less than perfectly flat baseboards! I did perform Coachmans (where is Coachman these days?) modification of adding a washer under the bogies to raise the ride height slightly - dont know if this makes a difference. 

When I first took delivery of a few of these coaches, two of the three had wheelsets that had dropped out inside their packaging, On closer inspection I deemed all that was necessary was to bend the pickup assembly inwards so that it acted more positively on the axles and held them in place...and ordered several more, which were the same in that most arrived with axles dropped out. Even with adjusting it didn't take long for the bogies to spread again, and they would let axles slip while running which depending on the angle that the axle ended up would catch on pointwork and derail. I ended up modifying the older ex-mainline LMS bogies by cutting in a recess for the CCM and packing up the bolster so that the coach body would sit at the correct height on them, and so modified the 3 most problematic of the 9 Portholes I own. The remaining 6 haven't been out of their boxes for around 4 years pending modification. The modified vehicles have been trouble free when used on the less than perfectly laid track of the clubs modular layouts where an unmodified coach would barely last two laps as they clattered over the various board joins. I also prefer the much wider and bulkier feel to the older tooling bogies, however, if Bachmann has suitably fixed the issue of the first batch I'll be more likely to look for direct replacement spares for my 6 and will most likely buy a few Maroons too. Before learning of the fix Bachmann has implemented, I was resigned to quite happily not bothering with them, but now it looks like I'll be letting the moths out of my wallet at some point soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

(where is Coachman these days?) 

Yikes!  There's an entire thread nattering on about that elsewhere on RMWeb; check out 'Where's Bertiedog' if you feel a burning need, but it's maybe not to everyone's taste.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Yikes!  There's an entire thread nattering on about that elsewhere on RMWeb; check out 'Where's Bertiedog' if you feel a burning need, but it's maybe not to everyone's taste.

Blimey - thanks for the heads up and the health warning .  The dark underbelly of RMWEB like a plot of Coronation Street written by Piers Morgan!!  

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Blimey - thanks for the heads up and the health warning .  The dark underbelly of RMWEB like a plot of Coronation Street written by Piers Morgan!!  

The Diary Of The Disappeared.......the knock at the door in the middle of the night.....

• Funny 1