Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

In Rails of Sheffield's Oct ad they list 57' and 60' LMS Porthole coaches in BR crimson and cream livery. I rang them and they said they are not available yet.

I'm probably out of touch but I hadn't heard about them at all, anybody know when they are likely to appear?

Edward

Irritating when shops list products that aren't available and don't tell you. I think it's a ploy to get you to order and put you on the hook. Hatton's don't do this. I use Hatton's alert system to tell me when a product has arrived.

John

• Like 3

i think im getting mixed up but arnt Hornby doing these?

No definately Bachmann

39-450 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor 3rd BR Crimson & Cream

39-455 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor 1st BR Crimson & Cream

39-460 LMS 57 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd BR Crimson & Cream

39-465 LMS 60 ft Porthole Corridor Composite BR Crimson & Cream

39-470 LMS 60 ft Porthole Corridor Brake 1st BR Crimson & Cream

39-475 LMS 60 ft Porthole Open Vestibule BR Crimson & Cream

At the M/Cr mrs I was talking to the Bachmann stand manager about these coaches and he indicated that the real work on them had not yet started, but gave that they expected to have them in the shops by Christmas 2012 about the time the LMS twins were due. Personally I hope the Twins get here sooner.

No definately Bachmann

thanks, I had it in my head it was Hornby doing LMS coaches

• 3 months later...

Listed as due Oct/Nov. I know this is just an early indication but it's interesting that their listed. Surprised that there's no dates as yet for the Mk1 sleepers.

Roll on the Maroon post 56 versions

Edited by davidw

I checked the Bachmann website the other night too see what they have listed for the Porthole stock

I then checked the diagram numbers (in the same order as listed above) from Jenkinson

D2170, 57ft, TK

D2162, 57ft, FK

D2161, 57ft, BTK

D2159, 60ft, CK

D2168, 60ft, BFK

D2160, 60ft, FO (the only type of Porthole open)

To their credit it appears that they are releasing a model of every type of Porthole coach ever built. Lets hope the subtleties of the BTK and CK are captured. The only picture shown on their website (the BTK) does not have the deep eaves and side covering the top of the solebar.

Edited by mlgilbert30
  • Like 1

To their credit it appears that they are releasing a model of every type of Porthole coach ever built. Let’s hope the subtleties of the BTK and CK are captured. The only picture shown on their website (the BTK) does not have the deep eaves and side covering the top of the solebar.

But the model in the image does have the droplights etched shown in exactly the same positions as the Comet sides ;)

(Share your hope btw)

Edited by Jamie

The photo on the website has been up for quite some time now (before the coaches even left the drawing board) and is most definitely a kit. Yes Jamie I very much suspect it has Comet origins!!

I believe these coaches are at the tooling stage, I suspect they're keeping any pre-production updates quiet until the 2012 announcement. Here's hoping they're up to the standard of the latest Hornby offerings!!

Paul

The Bachmann D2161 should hopefully look as if the whole side had been lowered to overlap the chassis an a consequential deeper cantrail. (This is a Comet side with and extra bit on top of the coach side)....

post-6680-0-04905800-1329855284.jpg

The BR profile roof and 'tapered' end and buffer plank profile of the D2159 'Porthole' composite....

post-6680-0-92262100-1329856096.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

No Bachy Blue & Grey ones ?

Yes, there was at least one - I saw it at the side of Lower Ince station Wigan back in the late 60's or early 70's, on the Central Wagon co's carriage scrap line. I remember it had fairly new looking paint as well.

Brit15

Blue/grey portholes included at least one composite, two seconds and several brake seconds. There was also a blue/grey brake second from the diagram that immediately preceded the porthole version and I have had a first-hand eyewitness report of at least two post-war open seconds in blue/grey, though specific numbers were not noted (numbers of the set were noted but not which vehicles were blue/grey).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A number of 'Porthole' brake seconds were painted blue & grey due, we were told at the time, to a shortage of passenger brake-end vehicles on the London Midland.

Several were used in 1967/8 on the north end of the Euston-Birmingham-Manchester/Liverpool services. I timed a late-running Euston - Liverpool train from one on a Sunday night at 105MPH average down the bank from Betley Road to Basford Hall. Bit of a hard ride, IIRC they were stencilled 90MPH on the ends. They were soon replaced by Mk2 BSOs.

Guest Max Stafford

Can we have some BR Maroon ones? Don't quite get why the chose blood and custard as the first versions of these....

Have patience man! Maroon ones will come soon enough and in any case, the C&C version will go very well with the new 10000s

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Presumably/hopefully,these are going to come with the same close-coupling option as offered on Bachmann's Mk1s. It brings the coaches close enough together for my (and I suspect most other folks') purposes. It's also manages to look good - unlike the extraordinarily ugly effort that is currently disfiguring my otherwise quite splendid Hornby Gresley suburbans.

DR