Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

I'd never noticed until I built a GW carriage, but there's a definite consistency in style.

GW_E152_8_zpshdwshsga.jpg

There wan't really though.  The GWR and LMS sliding vent windows looked similar but that was all.  Whereas the LMS stuck with 4' wide windows on the same waistline post 1933 line (apart from welded floor brake thirds and artics), the GWR never really made up its mind, hence the untidy waistlines observed in its trains. Coaches with sliding vent window on the compartment side often had odd shaped solid windows on the corridor side. I recently produced a corridor brake third where the windows were three different heights from the gutter and on two distinctly different levels at the waist.

• 1 year later...

The LMS produced a variety of open coaches especially under Stanier: The LMS D1915 7½ bay open third from my range. ....

attachicon.gifWEB D1915 b&c bb bogies.jpg

Very nice work Larry.

I am very late to this thread and others which relate to ex-LMS and BR Porthole coaches, but if anyone knows of a source for a Bachmann 39-450 corridor 3rd, who would sell it and post it to NZ I'd be most grateful.  At a peanut price of course :)   39-450 is the number stuck in my poor brain...  I found one for sale on Ebay but UK only in bold letters.

The photos I have seen suggest to me that weathered versions aren't too bad, either. (no corridor 3rds produced by Bachmann, of course, though).

The subject of porthole coaches has been an interesting read in this thread and elsewhere, I had never really realised how central they were to 1950s BR trains.

How can I have been so dumb?  

No, don't answer that.

I was surprised that 39-450 is almost extinct in the second-hand market.

cheers

Very nice work Larry.

I am very late to this thread and others which relate to ex-LMS and BR Porthole coaches, but if anyone knows of a source for a Bachmann 39-450 corridor 3rd, who would sell it and post it to NZ I'd be most grateful.  At a peanut price of course :)   39-450 is the number stuck in my poor brain...  I found one for sale on Ebay but UK only in bold letters.

The photos I have seen suggest to me that weathered versions aren't too bad, either. (no corridor 3rds produced by Bachmann, of course, though).

The subject of porthole coaches has been an interesting read in this thread and elsewhere, I had never really realised how central they were to 1950s BR trains.

How can I have been so dumb?  

No, don't answer that.

I was surprised that 39-450 is almost extinct in the second-hand market.

cheers

Its been the case that manufactures never learn, they produce the same number of 1st/2nd/3rd/brake variety of coaches in each production run and wonder why only the 2nd/3rd class sell out and they are left with unsold others. The re-released weathered ones were the unsold originals treated to weathering in an attempt to sell the unsold ones hence no 3rds.

The corridor 3rds along with the others are being released in BR Maroon (2nds) later this year (hopefully) so may be a good idea to pre order the number you want as I can see the corridor 2nds being in short supply!

I would beware of weathered coaches. RTR manufactures go for the easy spray over the lower part of the body, but it would be better if they weathered the chassis and bogies before clipping them to the bodies.

Real coach bodies were regularly cleaned so that only the underframes carried the usual road dusting of rust while the roofs took on a dark greyish-brown colouring. The body sides took on a semi-gloss to satin finish, but for some reason the bodies on Western Region coaches soon went matt and chalky looking as if the cleaning detergent had taken the life out of the paint. 

Edited by coachmann

I would beware of weathered coaches. RTR manufactures go for the easy spray over the lower part of the body, but it would be better if they weathered the chassis and bogies before clipping them to the bodies.

Real coach bodies were regularly cleaned so that only the underframes carried the usual road dusting of rust while the roofs took on a dark greyish-brown colouring. The body sides took on a semi-gloss to satin finish, but for some reason the bodies on Western Region coaches soon went matt and chalky looking as if the cleaning detergent had taken the life out of the paint. 

Larry,

Have a look at some photos of WR hydraulics in their latter days - I don't know what the WR used for coach cleaning, but it must have been closely related to Modelstrip !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Larry,

Have a look at some photos of WR hydraulics in their latter days - I don't know what the WR used for coach cleaning, but it must have been closely related to Modelstrip !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Exmover, the same as everyone else... Problem was that unlike the other regions the Western at some wash plants were not permitted by the local water/drainage authorities to neutralise it (I think it was dilute bicarbonate of soda ours used) before the rinse section and although it was rinsed off by plain water it still left a fair bit of the extremely caustic Exmover in place.  You can guess the rest... I forget which but one depots Wash Plant was particularly worse than others.

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Premium

Exmover, the same as everyone else... Problem was that unlike the other regions the Western at some wash plants were not permitted by the local water/drainage authorities to neutralise it (I think it was dilute bicarbonate of soda ours used) before the rinse section and although it was rinsed off by plain water it still left a fair bit of the extremely caustic Exmover in place.  You can guess the rest... I forget which but one depots Wash Plant was particularly worse than others.

As you will recall Bob, Exmover was/is, essentially, oxalic acid. Part of the problem was that if you drove through the rinse too quickly, traces of the Exmover remained. A number of SR EMU depots were notorious for this.

• Like 1

As you will recall Bob, Exmover was/is, essentially, oxalic acid. Part of the problem was that if you drove through the rinse too quickly, traces of the Exmover remained. A number of SR EMU depots were notorious for this.

No amount of radar speed checks and scientific services checking the dilution solved it (perhaps the measure of four bags of Exmover to a tank of water - and one for the pot helped) :)

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Premium

No amount of radar speed checks and scientific services checking the dilution solved it (perhaps the measure of four bags of Exmover to a tank of water - and one for the pot helped) :)

Right enough Bob - but the immutable laws of physics (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle) and of work study meant that what happened when the men from HQ were watching was very different from when they weren't!

I wonder if the men manning the manual coach washing sidings outside Manchester victoria and other locations used a powerful detergent. It is likely the local branchline terminus staff didnt when they were hosing down coaches during a layover.  Although real locos and coaches were painted with gloss paint, we all realise glossy painted models do not look well on a scenic layout.

As an aside, I finished nearly all the coaches in gloss for Lawrence Scale Models because that was the spec. At least they look as good today as when they were turned out, the earliest in 1974. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

whatever happened to these....?   Hattons pic, an age ago.

UKP123

attachicon.gif39-450_1032943_Qty4_1_porthole_lms_BR.jpg

sigh

I bought a 9 coach train of portholes when released, including the 4 pack special offer from Hattons, got to admit they are amongst my favourite coaches. Here’s a few here blended in with some mk1’s.

https://youtu.be/zNSvnaM5wnE

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Were there any restaurant cars attached to the open firsts in the days when Porthole coaches were common? I clearly need to do some reading!

The best rtr match I have is Hornbys 12 wheel dining car. Slightly different shade. It nonetheless is fine.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

Its been the case that manufactures never learn, they produce the same number of 1st/2nd/3rd/brake variety of coaches in each production run and wonder why only the 2nd/3rd class sell out and they are left with unsold others. The re-released weathered ones were the unsold originals treated to weathering in an attempt to sell the unsold ones hence no 3rds.

The corridor 3rds along with the others are being released in BR Maroon (2nds) later this year (hopefully) so may be a good idea to pre order the number you want as I can see the corridor 2nds being in short supply!

Well yes !!!!

I would like just a couple of maroon thirds and maybe a first or composite to augment a maroon Mk1 rake as required.

Certainly don't intend to purchase a brake end.  Wonder how many others have similar intentions.

Bachmann would do well to at least double if not triple the quantity of thirds compared to firsts and brakevans in my view.

I asked the Bachmann gentlemen at DEMU yesterday about maroon "portholes" and got the answer "November to January".

Similarly I am seeking a single Bachmann maroon Thompson to augment a rake of maroon Mk1s but won't be needing a brake vehicle. 

It's worth keeping in mind the number of each type of 'porthole' built:

15 FK - three of which were written off in accidents when almost new (two at Weedon, one at Harrow)

15 BFKs - one written off when almost new (Weedon) 

20 FOs 

100 TKs, later SKs - note the all third/second was not built in huge numbers

240 CKs

439 BTKs, later BSKs - by far the most common 'porthole' type

I wonder if the men manning the manual coach washing sidings outside Manchester victoria and other locations used a powerful detergent. It is likely the local branchline terminus staff didnt when they were hosing down coaches during a layover.  Although real locos and coaches were painted with gloss paint, we all realise glossy painted models do not look well on a scenic layout.

As an aside, I finished nearly all the coaches in gloss for Lawrence Scale Models because that was the spec. At least they look as good today as when they were turned out, the earliest in 1974. 

post-18225-0-91714400-1528107231_thumb.jpg

They do indeed, Larry.

This trio of Lawrence/Goddard LMS Staniers came my way quite recently. The cars had suffered some damage, and two had no bogies. I repaired them and made appropriate bogies. 

I'm absolutely delighted with them. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

It's worth keeping in mind the number of each type of 'porthole' built:

15 FK - three of which were written off in accidents when almost new (two at Weedon, one at Harrow)

15 BFKs - one written off when almost new (Weedon) 

20 FOs 

100 TKs, later SKs - note the all third/second was not built in huge numbers

240 CKs

439 BTKs, later BSKs - by far the most common 'porthole' type

Presumably only 100 TK/SKs because 701 of the previous design, D2119, were built between 1946 and 1950.  D2119 was, I believe, the most numerous LMS design coach built.

Chris KT

attachicon.gifLarry Goddard three-set.jpg

They do indeed, Larry.

This trio of Lawrence/Goddard LMS Staniers came my way quite recently. The cars had suffered some damage, and two had no bogies. I repaired them and made appropriate bogies. 

I'm absolutely delighted with them. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,  Thanks. I wonder how many thousands are out there.....I painted 280 4mm coaches in one year alone on top of numerous 4mm and 7mm locos.

Edited by coachmann

• 1 year later...