edward66

Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

Have you taken the bogies off to check that they are free rolling when off the coach? Could it be excess slop in the bluntpoint (they certainly aren't pinpoint!) bearings allowing the wheels to seat a little too close to the floor, causing it to rub? Marks on the chassis above the wheelsets would confirm if this is the case. That or they could be moving and rubbing on the brake mouldings, but I don't think that would offer the friction needed to stop on a 1:70 gradient. Possibly one or more of the brakes may be located a bit out of position and are actually working as brakes, which shouldn't be too difficult to identify. I'd side with the chassis resting on one or more of the wheelsets, especially if its a first batch coach. I've not had issue with the later maroon batch with the revised bogies but the first batch was a bit of a disappointment, I've had my share of the first batch which would drop their wheelsets as soon as they're picked up, so it wouldn't surprise me that they also push up too high. If you're careful with the brass pickup assembly you can them bend inwards a little to act more positively on the bearings.

It would be nice if Bachmann had the revised bogies as a spare to directly replace those on the first batch. I haven't checked to see if the revised bogies are a spare item yet as instead I took to butchering the older tooling, which was available as a spare at the time I needed them. They just need a good packing piece to get the mount height right and a slot cutting for the CCM to be retained, so that is also an option.

Why not get a small drill bit, approx 2mm, and cut it to the width of the current wheel axle. 

prize off one wheel, put it in the end of the bit.

insert the bit into the bogie as an axle and spin the wheel with your finger, to ream out the axle bearing a little, swap sides if it helps.

when it free wheels on the bit, insert your original wheel.

if you want a pre-packaged solution DCC concepts.. £12.95

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/bearing-reamers-set-of-two/

Edited by adb968008

Thank you for the advice about how it may be possible to correct this fault. However I should not have to do anything to put right an assembly fault on a new one. I'm still going to take it back and ask them to give me another one. I shall also ask them to unpack the fresh one and check that rolls freely on their test track.

The good lads and lasses in seller do a very good pair of axle pinpoint precision cithing devices which can help

BUT why can't Backman fix theor carp bogie design/manufacturers turing processential?  They have  ( along with ride height) been wrong for years. 

Baz 

Edited by Barry O

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

The good lads and lasses in seller do a very good pair of axle pinpoint precision cithing devices which can help

BUT why can't Backman fix theor carp bogie design/manufacturers turing processential?  They have  ( along with ride height) been wrong for years. 

Baz 

Because 99% of buyers aren't bothered, so why mend what isn't broken maybe?

Mike.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Because 99% of buyers aren't bothered, so why mend what isn't broken maybe?

Mike.

They did change it though, the second batch has a tie bar added across the coupler end of the bogie to stop it from spreading and dropping the wheelset. Obviously they had feedback that indicated it was enough of a problem to necessitate the design alteration.

• Informative/Useful 1