Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Reviewed in the July 2014 Model Rail.  Types shown are CK and FK, which look pretty good to me.  My concern is what the BTK will look like.

Does the corridor composite feature the new LMS profile and Mk.I style roof plus four trussrods?

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Please don't shoot down the uneducated one on these coaches but why are they advertised as LMS coaches when none of liveries offered are LMS maroon.Tin hat on but I'd quite like one if suitable so help is appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

Please don't shoot down the uneducated one on these coaches but why are they advertised as LMS coaches when none of liveries offered are LMS maroon.Tin hat on but I'd quite like one if suitable so help is appreciated.

Robin 

they are from an LMS original design - albeit with some potential changes to those built later in the life of the LMS or into the early days of BR built coaches// as per Larry's comment.

• RMweb Gold

Does the corridor composite feature the new LMS profile and Mk.I style roof plus four trussrods?

According to the review the CK is to the different, unique profile. The photo of the model shows 4 truss rods.

So it looks promising.

According to the review the CK is to the different, unique profile. The photo of the model shows 4 truss rods.

So it looks promising.

Thanks. That gives me hope that the brake third will be correct too with a deeper cantrail and lower bodysides overlapping the solebars as far as the stepboards.

Edited by coachmann

They were designed by the LMS but shortages of materials held up building just as it did the GWR Hawksworth coaches. In the meantime the railways got nationalised. Big Four colours continued to be used although without company insignia and from around May 1949 all new build came out in BR blood & custard.

Are there any good photos of the coaches in the 'intermediate' livery, Larry. This hadn't occurred to me as I didn't know any of these appeared before the new livery started application.

D2159 corridor composite No. M24500, is illustrated in LMS maroon with BR number at the LH end in LMS Standard Coaching Stock II by Jenkinson & Essery.             

The photos and review in "Model Rail" suggest that the crimson and cream finish isn't "right" - no surprise there really. I just hope it is a good match for the Hornby Staniers and Hawksworths which aren't "right" either.

Not going to make a comment re colour just going by the pictures in Model Rail, but the thickness of the sides on the porthole windows does stand out some what.

I believe it was Tony Wright many moons ago who came up with the trick of painting the edges black to hide the over scale depth.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Hi, that Model Rail review has photo's which I found hard to make out too much detail. However it is also stated that, there are no destination board clips. Will now wait, until I can see a coach, and then decide. Any I get will be weathered anyway so any livery issues will not be quite so much of a problem for me.

All the best,

Market65.

If the body colours are up the creek, one is stumped.  Weathering of the bodies isn't very appropriate on regularly used coaches (they were front-line stock well into the 1950's on the LMR). So supposing the cream is too dark, how does weathering lighten it?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, you're quite right about weathering not lightening cream. However, having had another look at the review, it also states that the crimson is too dark and ought to be redder. I think that I shall have to do a complete repaint which is a shame really, but it looks as if it might be the only way to get the livery right. Then the - very lightly applied - weathering. Also in the review something else which is mentioned are some 'prominent mounting screws' which seems potentially worrying!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

On the pre production samples it appeared that the window frames were printed\painted onto the glazing. If that's true its obviously going to be less straight forward to repaint than if they were moulded as part of the body. I was going to respray BR maroon but will probably wait until Bachmann produce that livery - can't really understand why they haven't produced it on the first batch to be honest.

I was going to respray BR maroon but will probably wait until Bachmann produce that livery - can't really understand why they haven't produced it on the first batch to be honest.

Yet another example of a manufacturer issuing a new model in a less popular livery, so that we get carried away by the excitement of a new release and buy models in a livery we didn't really want, and later buy a second lot in the livery we did want, thus doubling sales figures. Clever business psychology, but I'm sure no manufacturer would admit to it.

• Like 1

Yet another example of a manufacturer issuing a new model in a less popular livery, so that we get carried away by the excitement of a new release and buy models in a livery we didn't really want, and later buy a second lot in the livery we did want, thus doubling sales figures. Clever business psychology, but I'm sure no manufacturer would admit to it.

No doubt your survey concluded that 1949-56 (although blood & custard was still around in the early 1960s) is unworthy of being first off the production line when it is general knowledge that nobody but nobody is even remotely interested in this period. The mind boggles!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather annoyed that the ex-LMS inspection saloon is being produced in BR maroon first, rather than crimson/cream.  We all have to wait sometimes.  

I still hope that Bachmann eventually produce these in LMS livery. The preserved examples on the SVR run in the LMS set.

I may be wrong here, but I believe (at least in the case of the Brake 3rd anyway) that the examples running on the SVR weren't built until after 1948, but are painted LMS to fit in with the rest of the rake. I'm not sure about the unrestored examples though.

Are Bachmann producing a Third Open? For me, this seems to be a coach constantly lacking in availability - Hornby don't seem to think this coach is important (with the exception of the new Maunsell), but they seemed to form the backbone of a number of rakes, wth various examples found in each. In terms of recent manufacture, you can get Bachmann MK1 SO examples, but they always seem to me to be the most expensive.

Edited by 84A

On the contrary, going on Hornby Stanier's it seems as though the Crimson/Cream examples are the most expensive and not widely available. The LMS examples can be had for around a tenner on eBay. The BR Maroon examples vary - the corridor third (second?) models seem to go for an astronomical amount in places, but then the corridor firsts can be had fairly cheap. Main reason for this is because a number were produced as part of sets, so are more widely available, but still the CC examples hold their money on eBay.

For me, its more about the actual coach (be it brake, corridor, open, first, third, etc) than it is about the livery itself. Had Bachmann only produced firsts, then I would sympathise, but as it is they have tried to cater for everyone initially in a wide time period (as coachmann states).

Edited by 84A

I may be wrong here, but I believe (at least in the case of the Brake 3rd anyway) that the examples running on the SVR weren't built until after 1948, but are painted LMS to fit in with the rest of the rake. I'm not sure about the unrestored examples though.

Are Bachmann producing a Third Open? For me, this seems to be a coach constantly lacking in availability - Hornby don't seem to think this coach is important (with the exception of the new Maunsell), but they seemed to form the backbone of a number of rakes, wth various examples found in each. In terms of recent manufacture, you can get Bachmann MK1 SO examples, but they always seem to me to be the most expensive.

Replica Railways did a Stanier open third many moons ago. The only open amongst 'portholes' was the Open First. Maybe Bachmann will expand its LMS coach range in due course to include some of the pre-1947 stock. They would certainly fill a lot of gaps when one considers most London Midland Region trains were composed of LMS stock for many years.

• Like 1