Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

An article by Pat Hammond in MREmag for 6 June states that only four types are in the first consignment, which omits the two brakes.

Bachmann's normal practice is to model the bodylight ventilators as part of the window glazing - this is how the Mark Is have been done from the outset.  It does make it difficult to repaint into a different livery.

I hope that maroon ones will follow in the not-too-distant future and there are several variants of maroon to choose from - the early style with black ends and no first class yellow bands, then adding yellow bands and finally maroon ends.  I hope Bachmann start with the earlier version when they get onto maroon.

Etched sides are still the best option when plastic windows look like lozenges, but of course it all depends on how far people want to go. I have some on pre-order just to have a look at and they'll enter traffic one was or another.

Etched sides are still the best option when plastic windows look like lozenges, but of course it all depends on how far people want to go. I have some on pre-order just to have a look at and they'll enter traffic one was or another.

Do you reduce the thickness of the RTR sides as has been mentioned earlier?

Regards

Do you reduce the thickness of the RTR sides as has been mentioned earlier?

Regards

No. I remove the sides completely leaving the roof and ends intact, although the ends are reduced by the thickness of the etched brass sides (12thou). I normally build LMS coaches from scratch but the Bachmann 'Portholes' I buy will probably just have new sides fitted.

• Like 1

An article by Pat Hammond in MREmag for 6 June states that only four types are in the first consignment, which omits the two brakes.

It's possible that the delay to the brake vehicles is down to them due to be fitted with etched cages in the van area. For the first time in RTR we should have see-through brake vehicles!

Mark

The vehicles you mentioned don't have cages. I should have been more specific. What I meant was that up to now RTR brake coaches which have cages in the van area are moulded in solid plastic.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if the colour will match Hornby Staniers in crimson and cream ?

Phil

Ha Ha. Have you seen a rake of coaches in Crimson and Cream, unless straight out of the paint shop no two be the same, so variation in colour I don't think will really matter as reality goes. \But then again in an ideal world !

Ha Ha. Have you seen a rake of coaches in Crimson and Cream, unless straight out of the paint shop no two be the same, so variation in colour I don't think will really matter as reality goes. \But then again in an ideal world !

Ah ok , fair point, what I should have said was will they look right running alongside Hornby coaches ? 

Phil

They probably will although Hornby's carmine red is usually too muddy. Rakes of coaches were generally mixed and so the 'Portholes' would not all be together or at one end of a train. It worked like this on the LMS and the LNER; Passenger managers were interested in seats and so replacement coaches were on the basis of a one for one, seat for seat. A Porthole all-third might replace a prewar third or if it is a lesser train it could be replacing a 1920's all-third. A study of photo albums is worthwhile.

I'm not sure about the carmine/cream colours being wrong in Model Rail's review because I haven't seen its pictures. In my opinion the pair of Portholes I've had to photograph look just right and match quite closely Hornby's equivalent. 

Thinking them to be still front-line stock on the LMR in the mid-'50s, I thought they'd be of little use on the MR/M&GNR bit of my Little Bytham layout, but I was astonished to find two examples of them in pictures on the M&GNR dating from just that period, or even earlier - in a through train from the Norfolk coast to Leicester at Bourne and in a three-coach Kings Lynn-Nottingham set at Sutton Bridge; a Composite and Brake Third respectively. How could prestige coaches have ended up thus? 

It's a pity that the destination board brackets are not present.

I'll take some comparative pictures tomorrow. 

post-18225-0-61258200-1404294612_thumb.jpg

I hope this shows how close Bachmann's and Hornby's rendition of carmine and cream is. Also shown for comparison is an old Mainline Composite.

The picture was taken using 'daylight' lights, with a burst of fill-in flash to soften the shadows. 

• Like 6

That's brill thanks Tony, no problem running mixed rakes then

Phil

Phil,

I wouldn't say they were exactly the same colours (please see from the picture), but no more different than carriages in a prototype rake.

I have no visual problem in running the Hornby and Bachmann carmine/cream cars together.

I have just had a look at 'Rails' images of the three 'Porthole' coaches they are expecting, and the Brake Third looks to be an accurate model with a deeper cantrail and sides over lapping the solebars. Also the 60ft composite looks to have a different roof profile than LMS and 4 trussrods, so again I am expecting an accurate model.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I have just had a look at 'Rails' images of the three 'Porthole' coaches they are expecting, and the Brake Third looks to be an accurate model with a deeper cantrail and sides over lapping the solebars. Also the 60ft composite looks to have a different roof profile than LMS and 4 trussrods, so again I am expecting an accurate model.

Hi, coachmann, there is an excellent photograph in the latest issue of ModelRail number 198. It shows the BTK with those sides with that deep cantrail and over lapping the solebars. All very hopeful.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi, coachmann, there is an excellent photograph in the latest issue of ModelRail number 198. It shows the BTK with those sides with that deep cantrail and over lapping the solebars. All very hopeful.

All the best,

Market65.

When I looked at the photo in Model Rail, I thought the windows looked too high up for a BTK, but hard to tell until we have the actual models.

attachicon.gifBachmann Porthole carriage.jpg

I hope this shows how close Bachmann's and Hornby's rendition of carmine and cream is. Also shown for comparison is an old Mainline Composite.

The picture was taken using 'daylight' lights, with a burst of fill-in flash to soften the shadows. 

One thing to keep in mind about liveries is that colours faded and became worn, so a typical set of stock would not all be exactly the same colour anyway.  The photo of Hornby and Bachmann models side-by-side looks good.

I pre-ordered five coaches from the well known Sheffield based retailer in March 2012 for £22.50.   I received an email about them earlier today:

"These are due into stock within the next week but the reason for my email is to inform you about the price. As you may be aware Bachmann have recently increased their cost prices quite significantly, as your order is now outside our 12 month price guarantee the price will be £31.95 each."

Is anybody else aware of this 12 month price guarantee period for pre-orders?  I can't find anything about it on my pre-order confirmation or anywhere on their web site.  Interestingly no mention was made in the email of the fact that my credit card details had expired.

I pre-ordered five coaches from the well known Sheffield based retailer in March 2012 for £22.50.   I received an email about them earlier today:

"These are due into stock within the next week but the reason for my email is to inform you about the price. As you may be aware Bachmann have recently increased their cost prices quite significantly, as your order is now outside our 12 month price guarantee the price will be £31.95 each."

Is anybody else aware of this 12 month price guarantee period for pre-orders?  I can't find anything about it on my pre-order confirmation or anywhere on their web site.  Interestingly no mention was made in the email of the fact that my credit card details had expired.

Yes it is next to the pre order price.

I know quite a few people will grumble at their pre order price not being 'honoured', but the price increase on these models is substantial and the original discount prices would in most cases probably be at or below the actual trade price. As much as I like a bargain, I don't expect any trader trying to earn a living to have to sell to me at a loss when the circumstances are beyond their control.

Yes it is next to the pre order price.

Thank you for pointing this out.  The reason I did not see it is simply because you have to move the cursor over the words "Price promise?" before it appears.

If you simply place the pre-order you are blissfully unaware of the 12 month limit.