Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

From the Workbench (for everyone to contribute):

Jack - it's this one (you should be able to beat Walthers price from this side of the water though, I think I managed to find one for about £15)

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/405-11282

It's fully posable (if you build it right - I glued the boom on mine solid tho for strength - it still rotates to be a bit posable)

I didn't like the 'stickers' that came with it so just painted and weathered it without, but i've since found that TL-Decal make a replacement waterslide set which i'd have used if i'd realised. (grumble grumble)

I also considered getting and detailing up one of these and swapping the grab for a magnet:

http://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=10439

Hi Gang

Due to being back 'exploring other employment opportunities' I've had a bot of time to crack on with some more detail on my layout, Galatia KS, that briefly featured on this list a while ago.

One job was to provide a day cab truck for the grain trailer outsofe the elevator so after finding an Atlas LNT9000 lurching in the loft I had go at dressing it up a bit with some Plano etches and a bit of paint. Inspiration can from the auction website that I came across.

post-9070-0-95443500-1321285222_thumb.jpgpost-9070-0-06603500-1321285270_thumb.jpg

Cheated a bit in not replacing the wheels but my defence is that the correct A-Line one were out of stock at Walthers at the time. Other than that just the exhaust to complete and weather then she's good to go.

Dan Spalding

Agreed - especially realistic tyre colour on the trailer!

Thanks for the kind comments

Nothing too way out used on the weathering - firstly a blow over with v diluted mix of Vallejo light grey / earth mix. Once dried a combo of MIG European Earth and a little Desert Sand was applied and mixed using MIG Thinner for Washes

Dan Spalding

• RMweb Gold

Dan

Looks very good. Should there be a license plate on the front or dont they have them in this particular US State? - if so I have some decals you can use.

How many vehicles can you weather for me in time for Fort Myers to go to Wimbledon show???

Ian

Dan

Looks very good. Should there be a license plate on the front or dont they have them in this particular US State? - if so I have some decals you can use.

How many vehicles can you weather for me in time for Fort Myers to go to Wimbledon show???

Ian

Hi Ian

Funny enough I've just dug out the Microscale commercial vehicle sheet I remembered I had. There is a set of Oklahoma plates so that'll do as the closest to Kansas (where the layout is set)

Still waiting to see if I've got a new job so will happly contact out weathering services!!

Dan

Did a little weathering this afternoon, although hampered by the inability to climb up to the loft to get my painting kit! Revell acrylics are odourless and easy to use. However, the sides are still too patchy and need some blending - maybe with the airbrush when I'm fit again. Anyway, here we are:

post-7346-0-72241500-1321633195.jpg

post-7346-0-42008100-1321633202.jpg

post-7346-0-28530300-1321633209.jpg

Here's the real thing - although I haven't found pictures of my exact number yet. I need to think about graffiti next.

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=20954

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25409219@N02/3709206562/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Notice how the lighting in the two photos gives a very different effect,

weathering looks great Jon.

I've been messing around with a Plastruct truss bridge kit....with incomplete instructions. I emailed the firm in the hope they would send me a scanned image of the missing page of diagrams but they're posting one over. I've now worked out what was missing and am nearly finished the kit for the extention board.

Shortliner Jack's eagles also arrived today. Again, pics to follow after going to the match (SAFC v Fulham)

Jon

I mentioned elsewhere that I'd put together a wee inglenook to keep me amused whilst poorly.

Here's Kieran operating the remote control switcher ( :sungum: ).

post-7346-0-08611100-1321724117.jpg

The plywood pacific nature is probably appropriate - I think, inspired by Noffke Lumber on Menasha, ( http://binged.it/s4ClTt ) this will be a builders supply yard - perhaps Noffke's Woodville branch?

post-7346-0-84122900-1321724182.jpg

If I assume general builders supply rather than just lumber I can justify more car types I think?

post-7346-0-02547100-1321724223.jpg

post-7346-0-40680800-1321724237.jpg

Now I know its not up to scenic standard yet, but trundling back and forth has kept me very happy!

It's a funny thing about Inglenooks... I always think other people's versions look fantastic (as here), but then cannot seem to plan anything I like for myself!! There's surely only so many ways two turnouts and three spurs can be arranged, isn't there..?!?

That expression on Kieran's face is priceless..... :)

It's a funny thing about Inglenooks... I always think other people's versions look fantastic (as here), but then cannot seem to plan anything I like for myself!! There's surely only so many ways two turnouts and three spurs can be arranged, isn't there..?!?

That expression on Kieran's face is priceless..... :)

Here's the real thing: Who needs to plan, just copy the prototype...

http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page88/index.html#sawmill

Started buildings for the switchy plank. Inspired by both the real life Noffke Lumber and the models on Menasha, I've started a Walthers lumber store. Plan is to spray it with Tamiya TS1 Red Brown as I think that's pretty good match for the prototype, whilst Tamiya sprays TS62 and 69 (NATO Brown and Lino Deck brown) are very similar to give some shading if necessary.

post-7346-0-81696200-1322210321.jpg

post-7346-0-81696200-1322210321.jpg

As you can see, there were quite a few mould release pin marks to clear up, and although they'll probably be invisible once completed, I didn't want one to catch the paint and jar, so a whizz over with a sanding stick or a micro chisel removed them.

Not sure whether to do the actual lumber braces in the same brown or a different colour. I think the floor will be a "concrete" colour - should have sprayed it before gluing but what the heck!

post-7346-0-37616600-1322210334.jpg

I decided that the shed didn't look large enough on its own. So I've kitbashed the two sheds into one longer shed. This will leave two spare ends which might mean a scratch-build for a second shed is on the cards.

post-7346-0-59924900-1322306798.jpg

post-7346-0-48719600-1322306804.jpg

post-7346-0-99642600-1322306809.jpg

The TS1 Red brown was too red, but an overspray with the TS69 Lino Brown has given a pleasing colour. There's a little work to do yet in blending the joint, but once that's done the new extension will be sprayed to match the original.

Jon, will you do me a favour. Take some close ups of the roof of your silo, top, side and end with all the gubbins, please. Your details look nice, when you're fit for it of course. Thanks.

Tony

The handrails were made from Athearn 'blue box' loco handrails, brass wire for the top rail and Slaters plastic strip for the lower rail

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5905.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

Jon

Archived