Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

From the Workbench (for everyone to contribute):

Ha! That's not where I was looking!

I was looking at 2114 S. Loomis Street (where the track goes through locked gates). Having taken a "walk" down there I realize it appears to be just an intricate pattern of rail set into the street for some reason that eludes me at the moment.....

Best, Pete.

That's not fair - You HAVE to tell us more about those crossings!!! Are they adapted RTR track, scratchbuilt, or what?

They are three Shinohara crossings; 30, 60 and 90 degree combined together by basically trimming everything to fit. This requires a certain amount of courage as the 90 degree crossing had to have one leg cut back drastically. Then everything needed fettling to fit rail joiners and solder in the droppers etc.

Burnham+track+19.png

The width of the baseboard is two foot eight inches at the point where the crossing is installed.

Thanks Trev - I actually have one of each in code 100, except for a 25 degree which is inbound from Stateside Ebay (so much cheaper even with postage) as I type, and a code 83 in 90 degree, as it is the only way to get a small/short one. I also have a couple of Shinohara ones - picked up second hand at shows from a used track box. I sometimes wonder why Peco has such a restricted range. The problem with Atlas is that they really need "burying" to hide the non-proto solid centres on some of the range.

I picked up a Shinohara Code 70 #8 turnout for $18.00 new the other day (not one of the Walthers range - their latest ones have enhanced distances betwixt point blade and running rails, i.e. wider :scratch_one-s_head_mini: - why?).

It's a thing of beauty about 20 inches long...... I'll post a photo when I get around to it.

Btw, Jack I've been searching Carl's site for those plans. The search function doesn't BUT I think it is a Google issue not the site's!

Best, Pete.

I did have to check just in case I made an error about that bit of Chicago.

Shinohara do 4 crossings. the 30,45,60 and 90 deg. in both code 70 and 83, they also have a 9.3 deg code 100 diamond #6 turnout match. Scalelink are the UK importers of Shinoharas.

Dave

Shinohara do 4 crossings. the 30,45,60 and 90 deg. in both code 70 and 83, they also have a 9.3 deg code 100 diamond #6 turnout match. Scalelink are the UK importers of Shinoharas.

Dave

Dave, I don't have a section of ME code 70 running track to hand. Do you know whether it is a direct match to Shinohara (NOT Walthers) pointwork?

Cheers, Pete.

Dave, I don't have a section of ME code 70 running track to hand. Do you know whether it is a direct match to Shinohara (NOT Walthers) pointwork?

Cheers, Pete.

Pete, I've not used a Shinohara crossing piece. However I have used their turnouts with ME code 70, the rail is a good match, but there is a difference in sleeper/tie heights, easily sorted with a bit of packing, its not much but is enough to stand out.

Dave

Remember my 'switchback' /diamond in Charlotte NC http://g.co/maps/n7nfc ...

And how about two railroads (CSX and NS, originally Durham & Southern and Southern Rwy) that cross...without diamonds. It's in Durham, NC and was originally a diamond (for decades) but a few years ago the diamond was lifted for turnouts. Start here http://g.co/maps/gu7cj ...the D&S crosses E Pettigrew St at grade and swings up parallel to the Southern. D&S uses turnouts to cross the two Southern tracks to get to its industrial trackage on the north side along E Peabody. And if you continue west on both, they cross over S Alston Ave - the D&S bridge beyond the cement plant is out of service. But note...there's a bridge on an angle...yes, the Southern and D&S used to interchange on that bridge. Either way would fit nicely on a narrow shunting plank...the bridge interchange would be pretty cool.

Durham was a neat place, reached by FIVE railroads, all there for the tobacco business. In no order...Southern (on the east/west line from Greensboro to Goldsboro NC), D&S (main line from Apex NC), N&W (branch from Lynchburg, VA), Seaboard Air Line (branch from Henderson NC) and the original NS (branch from Duncan, NC). Had a Union Station to boot. A 'belt line' that circled around the industrial part of the city. And a 6th railroad was heading there when the Depression hit - the Atlantic Coast Line's branch from Rocky Mount NC. Only the Southern and D&S lines remain in service...the Seaboard Coast Line bought the D&S specifically to abandon the old SAL line from Henderson. One bridge on that line was so decrepit that the train crews would stop on one side. All the crew save the engineer would dismount and walk across the bridge. Engineer would release the brakes, get off the engine and let it and the train idle across the bridge. Conductor and crew would swing up on the other side, stop the train...engineer would walk across the bridge, get on the engine and head on their way!

For my next mini project i'm going to fit a soundtraxx decoder into an athearn CF7.

Anyone done one of these?

If so, what type of speaker did you use and where?

I'm in the process of fitting a Atlas type circuit board version of the 567 Tsumami chip and am using a Soundtraxx 810112 oval speaker (1 x 0.56 inch) mainly due the lack of space once the board is in. You may be able to go for the next size up in Soundtraxx oval speakers once you've had a test fit. I usually get mine from either DCC Supplies or Sunningwell.

A minor drawback with the Soundtraxx speakers is the lack of supplied bafflebox but is you are happy importing I'd recommend checking out Railmaster Hobbies via a Google search who do an excellent range of oval speakers with matching baffleboxes. No connects other than a satisfied customer

Cheers

Dan Spalding

And here's the link. You'll need an 8 ohmn rated one

http://railmasterhob...om/Speakers.htm

Dan Spalding

I use these in my hood diesels, but replace the stiff wire that comes with the speaker with decoder wire. This can be done by either cutting the thick wire short and soldering, or opening up the speaker and soldering directly to the terminals. I sometimes pass the lighting wires through the speaker as well, in confined spaces.

Jon

Squeaky, I'll post some shots of the speaker fitting in my Midsouth one, when I get a round tuit. Initial thoughts are to mount it in the cab, boxing off the cab interior and using it as the speaker baffle.

Jon

I believe I am right that you did a similar installation in the cab of an S4???? many moons ago .....think it may even have been on the old RMweb ...

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

I believe I am right that you did a similar installation in the cab of an S4???? many moons ago .....think it may even have been on the old RMweb ...

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Well remembered Trev.

IMG_3423.JPG

I did the same with the NYC S1

I've just done it for my Chessie GP30 and it sounds great. The only downside is that once it's all glued in, it makes it difficult to remove the cab light, so I had to test the snot out of the LED before fitting

Jon

Archived