Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

From the Workbench (for everyone to contribute):

Ha! That's not where I was looking!

I was looking at 2114 S. Loomis Street (where the track goes through locked gates). Having taken a "walk" down there I realize it appears to be just an intricate pattern of rail set into the street for some reason that eludes me at the moment.....

Best, Pete.

hi..bit behind the times, I know....but I think the 'rail' patterns seen on the pavement are actually pre-cast concrete covers edged with steel....for access and maintenance....the rubber versions are on the crossing just to the south

Here's a right hand switch for a left hand spur http://g.co/maps/jha4a

and a variety http://g.co/maps/xc7km

but neither is what I think F-unit was refering to which is a grade crossing using diamonds of two seperate railroads as on Martin's layout

That's right; especially when the diamond is at 90 degrees or thereabouts.

I was thinking the other day that something shows how this is typical for the USA but almost unheard of in the UK - as far as I know, most of the US model track ranges (Atlas, Bachmann etc) list a 90deg crossing; but Peco have never made a 90 deg crossing - not even in their Code 83 range... evidence of the 'British' mindset on track layouts....

Been busy doing some more stuff, as is my wont.

Poles+WIP+14.png

Rebuilding a PSC trolley pole to make is smaller, why, well that is a good question? It seems that the North Shore like to tie both poles down at one end, but commercial trolley poles foul each other like this.

Poles+WIP+9.png

And if that is not enough to keep a girl busy I've started rebuilding my MTS Imports Sacramento & Northern steeple cab to be North Shore #457.

%2523457+WIP+1.png

If you want more blather about any of this then you will find it on my blog, link in my signature below.

Not touched the model railroading for four months - my work tends to be like that. On the workbench atm is a big yellow box.

post-238-0-34034300-1326882356_thumb.jpg

which needs a little fettling to eliminate some of its design errors. Replacement trucks deals with most of the ride height issue (as shipped it's about 1/8"-1/4" too high, and the end detail (hand brake, ladders and handrail) need to be re-sited one rib lower. But all in all not bad, and adds a bit of variety to my fleet.

post-238-0-16165300-1326882400_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to a block of time off work to finish the scratch-built boxcar, and maybe two more turnouts. Then I really must make a start on getting the GP38-2 up to scratch...

Full disclosure, as ever, in my blog.

A comment for Ashley, if she's got any Kadee cars left to convert to scale knuckles - http://www.kadee.com...rd/page2100.htm is a much easier way to do it...replaces the entire draft gear/stirrup assembly. Yes, I read her comments in her blog :)

Door, stable, horse, shut... put into correct order. I did find out about this after said event. Next time I will know better. Thanks for the thought though. :ok:

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look very pretty, but so far it looks as though a train could negotiate this without ending up in the ditch. Even the semi-scale code 88 wheels go through smoothly, although I suspect it will serve nicely to wake up any passengers on train 164.

post-277-0-78257000-1327981422_thumb.jpg

What "scale" would that be? :no:

Ted

They are all "HO" ....but those couplers in the link are more correctly in scale with prototype couplers ie. 1/87th ...against No.5s for example which are larger than true 1/87th to be more "forgiving" when coupling on a layout to various brands and types of other couplers....

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

I was asked to make a covered-hopper loader, as per the November 1999 Model Railroader article by Harold Russell (first picture by him). Apart from the two vertical wires that make up the X, it's all from styrene, cut to shape.

The main pipework is square styrene rod, re-shaped using water poured from a just-boiled kettle or three, then quickly cooled under a cold tap. It takes time to do, but the result pays off.

Can't really do any more work until it's test-planted on location.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

post-14127-0-41440000-1328909415_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-24818100-1328909450_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-51063300-1328909474_thumb.jpg

post-14127-0-68890500-1328909505_thumb.jpg

Archived