Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

From the Workbench (for everyone to contribute):

That is beautiful, Craig!

Yeah, I know it is a brown freight car............

Do you have a link to a Speedwitch site?

Best, Pete.

Speedwitch is kaput...unfortunately no longer in business.  His kits were very nice, his decals outstanding...I have a decent stash of both in my possession.  He (Ted Culotta) has resurfaced lately with an article in the February RMC.  Hopefully he'll at least get more of his decals printed up.  You can pull up his old website at www.archive.org ...at least for historical reference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my biggest stumbling block is i deal in cash only and won't have a card , so  athearn say they'll take a money order , just have to work out how money orders work  because athearn have them and they are exceptionaly helpfull , i have to be honest and say Hornby could learn big lessons in that direction from athearn

• 3 weeks later...

My resin building ways continue - this one is a Speedwitch CB&Q/C&S/FW&D class XM-25/26 single sheathed box car.  The CB&Q and its subsidiaries (Colorado & Southern, Fort Worth & Denver) were madly in love with single sheathed box cars between the wars.  This is a nice kit...parts as usual for Speedwitch fit well and the decals are second to none.  I painted the car with TruColor paint, flat finished with Scalecoat flat.  It's going to get weathered heavily and at that point will have the reweigh stencils applied to each side.

post-751-0-58423800-1369585646_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hopefully i'll be done and can post a couple of glamour shots of the finished car next week.

-Stephen

Well, it was done a while ago, but i completely forgot to take any nice shots of the CLRV.  Finished project is below:

9574928235_048607b889_o.jpg

9577721790_9e9f2bb251_o.jpg

Also finished some time ago, a Custom Finishing Models Pyke 18T Rail Crane.  With added details to match for Ex-Toronto Terminal Railways Pyke in the Toronto Railway Museum Collection:

9574927893_4eec77bf7e_o.jpg

9577721428_7ef256792b_o.jpg

I'm currently working on a 2nd model of CNR GP7 4803 for a friend (first time i've done a project a 2nd time, its a weird feeling as well as a BGR Group kit of a Canadian Pacific J-Series sleeper.  It's the first resin car i've ever built, all my other resin projects have been road vehicles or small strucutres/details, so it's a big challenge.  I'll post pictures sometime, the body shell is ready for priming and painting now, so i am excited about that process to really have it start looking sharp.

-Stephen

Since coming back from TVNAM I've been spurred on to actually complete a couple of projects inc a Atlas GP38 repainted and detailed to match one of BNSF's ex lessor 'Smurf' GP38-2's.

As the prototype was a GP38 rebuilt to Dash 2 spec there were no major body mod required other than detailing. The fuel tank was shortened and dressed up with Cannon parts and a Hi Tech waste tank.

After much faffing around as to what colour to use I when with Conrail Blue for the base colour which was then faded with a off white wash from my airbrush.

Few bits still to add around the cab as well as ditchlight lenses and of course some weathering. Aim is to have it complete for display on the RPM table at the forthcoming Seaboard Southern US Show on 21st Sept

Dan

post-9070-0-50469600-1377870102_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-53786100-1377870125_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Speedwitch is kaput...unfortunately no longer in business.  His kits were very nice, his decals outstanding...I have a decent stash of both in my possession.  He (Ted Culotta) has resurfaced lately with an article in the February RMC.  Hopefully he'll at least get more of his decals printed up.  You can pull up his old website at www.archive.org ...at least for historical reference.

Update - Speedwitch has unkaputted himself.  http://speedwitchmedia.com/

I'm not very good at this "work in progress" thing - I usually don't take pictures till the model's finished. So, the latest thing to emerge from my workbench is a New York Central Center-flow  covered hopper with a Plano etched walkway; 

post-7218-0-04349400-1379356528_thumb.jpg

It also shows the new static grass on Wheelock.

All the best

Nick

This is a very similar hopper photographed near Boston on the Boston and Albany in the late 70s. Sorry for the rather poor scan, I had to use a photocopier and the original wasn't that great to begin with, but I thought that it might give you some ideas for weathering. Graffiti was not really that common at that time, and apart from general grime, most of the effects on the car are down to the spilled lading.
post-277-0-91410100-1379386950.jpg

Nice picture, it looks like a pressure discharge version that NYC branded as Flexi-flo so it's a different prototype to my model of a gravity discharge car.

I think one of the "train set" manufacturers did a model of the Flexi-flo cars that was quite a nice moulding though with talgo trucks.

Nick

I vaguely remember the model you are referring to, I think AHM might have been the guilty party.

I thought the weathering pattern from the lading was interesting in how it ran down the side of the car compared to a flat-sided car. I wish I'd been able to shoot colour back then.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're right about the maker being AHM, I passed one up at an NMRA meet for a couple of pounds a few years ago - didn't know what it was.

The Flexi-flo cars were used for cement traffic, so I guess the weathering is the effects of cement dust and rain!.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of recent builds, both from Sunshine kits -

Nashville, Chattanooga & St Louis 36' class XM32 box car, rebuilt from 36' wooden box cars

Pennsylvania RR 40' class X37B automobile car.  The raised center roof was to gain extra ceiling height within the loading gauge; if the crossover walks were on top of the main roof profile they'd foul the loading gauge.

post-751-0-86246800-1381341064_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-84615200-1381341090_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Archived