Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

From the Workbench (for everyone to contribute):

Oh yeah, here is a weathering job gone wrong:

More on my blog of course.

Except for the horizontal brush strokes :O made by the Giant Brush Of God, the level of crustyness isn't far from some cars I've seen.

I saw your comment on your blog about the Exactrail vs the Kadee trucks. The metal Kadee trucks are fine 1975 technology. But Kadee makes plastic trucks - they call them their 'HGC' trucks and they're as good as anything anybody else makes. The HGC trucks look much better than the metal trucks as they don't have the separate springs plus they're very free better rollers too. See http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/truck.htm and the right hand column is the HGCs. Most of their new freight cars get these trucks if they match the prototype and they do a number of prototype trucks that they don't offer in metal; the #560s are unique in that nobody else has ever done them in plastic, and your Atlantic Coast Line/Seaboard Coast Line cars need them. Give a set of the HGC trucks a try...I think you'll really like them. I use them wherever I am able...

Prototype Rails is always the first weekend in January, so in 2013 it's Friday/Saturday January 4/5. Actually sort of starts the Thursday night and there's things on Sunday (open houses etc). I've been the past two meets and get an awful lot of knowledge out of it.

I had a pair of HGC trucks on one of my covhops, but I'm afraid to say that while they look fab, the way that they are engineered to rock sucks in my opinion, because to allow the free movement of the frames one can't tighten up the screw at teh bolster. Result; freight cars that wobble, which I hate with a passion. The ExactrRail product is in my mind threfore the superior product, as the engineering is sound.

Now, with regard to weathering, the brush strokes wee the reason I stripped this car back and started over. I remembered, too late as usual, but better late than never I guess, that weathering flat panels easier to do by spraying. Next brown freight car will have the tone down shade sprayed on.

Oh yeah, just to stay on topic, another when things go wrong project on my workbench:

PRR+363156+gondola+7.png

In this case turning a RTR model back into a kit oops moment...

• 1 month later...

Seen earlier in the thread, here is CPAA 207256 now I've added conspicuity stripes and graf, courtesy of a quick demo stint at Edinburgh show this lunchtime. Bit of bleed between white and black graf due to the speed it was executed, but a quick tidy will sort that.

post-7346-0-34319300-1335715095.jpg

The stripes are OO self adhesive yellow road markings.

• 4 weeks later...

A RPP (Rough Plastic Products) GP60M I am trying to recover. I purchased it for parts, however curiosity won out over whether it could be reclaimed. Initially it had a rugged weathering attempt that was more painting it flat black than anything else. In attempting to remove this with metho I found I had also removed all the decals, as they had not been sealed to the shell, well only by the flat black. Some paint restoration, extra details and new decals have reached this stage. I believe that with some subtle weathering it will not look too bad, especially from a distance.

7261286450_21992c7020_b.jpg

Matthew

A little more progress including a cab interior, glazing, handrails and with some wiring for ditch lights and a cab light.

7284669030_92ef1bb620_z.jpg

One day I shall have to make a photo diorama and learn how to take photos.

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress including a cab interior, glazing, handrails and with some wiring for ditch lights and a cab light.

Matthew

Looks pretty darn nice to me...good salvage job on a basket case!

Matthew

Matthew,

Turn the lights off, then take a photo. You see your camera is getting mixed signals from the lights. The white balance is compensating for so much light emanating from the LED's and thus is forcing the cameras auto function to darken the rest of the image area in compensating for the lights. Make sense..?

If you want the lights on, then set your camera to manual and adjust the exposure time to a longer exposure. This will show the lights burnt out in your image but it will permit the light emanating from the rest of the image area to become brighter.

HTH,

Cheers, Tony

G'day all!

Like Ashley and Andy (298), US traction railroads are one of my passions - truth be told, my main one at the moment. I'm on annual leave, so I have some time to start some new projects, and complete others. One that I recently started is repowering and detailing an old Suydam model of an Oregon Electric car. The prototype was built by the Niles Car and Manufacturing Company of Niles, Ohio. It's a nice enough model for it's age, and it's generic enough to be easily modified to represent other Niles-built cars, which is what I'm doing.

7385479070_fc85e6486d_b.jpg

So far I've replaced the original antediluvian drive with a NWSL Stanton power truck, replaced the Baldwin truck frames with Standard C80-Ps, removed the front trolley pole and replaced it with a pantograph, removed both pilots - "cowcatchers" and replaced the front pilot with a snowplough, and fitted a front headlight and radial couplers. Some of the parts in this photo are simply styrene mock-ups to see how it all fits together, they will be replaced in due course with more accurate bits made of brass.

All the best,

Mark Newton,

Waterfall NSW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94424961@N00/

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for the paint shop, the underframe of a Speedwitch ATSF Bx-26 boxcar. It's a Duryea underframe, a steam-era cushioned design. Coupler boxes are Moloco parts; trucks are Accurail; balance is from the Speedwitch kit mostly.

post-751-0-33327900-1340652774_thumb.jpg

I was asked to make a covered-hopper loader, as per the November 1999 Model Railroader article by Harold Russell (first picture by him). Apart from the two vertical wires that make up the X, it's all from styrene, cut to shape.

The main pipework is square styrene rod, re-shaped using water poured from a just-boiled kettle or three, then quickly cooled under a cold tap. It takes time to do, but the result pays off.

Can't really do any more work until it's test-planted on location.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

The finished article on the Golden module looks excellent

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for the paint shop, the underframe of a Speedwitch ATSF Bx-26 boxcar. It's a Duryea underframe, a steam-era cushioned design. Coupler boxes are Moloco parts; trucks are Accurail; balance is from the Speedwitch kit mostly.

Craig,

Looking great. Did the Bx-26 have the brake reservoir mounted parallel to the centersill?- I know a LOT of ATSF cars had traverse mounted reservoirs.

Looking forward to seeing progress updates on this project.

Thanks Ashley. I haven't done much modelling the last few days, I've been working on 12" to the foot traction projects instead. The tramway museum I belong to is having a two-day event this weekend to celebrate the centenary of one of our cars, so we've been busy preparing all the cars that will be running. As all of them are 100+ years old, there's a bit of work to do! Should be fun, I think!

7625956012_d582bd64d8_c.jpg

I like your PS-1, very flash. I've got some Plano running boards stashed away for a rainy day, I must get them out and try them.

Thanks. I think they are nice looking too, but I am biased. Of all the trams we have at Loftus, the C class trams shown in my photo are my favourite Sydney cars. They're great little cars to drive, very responsive. We have five of them, 29 and 290 are runners, 37 is currently in the workshop being rebuilt, 33 is at Bendigo being restored to a double-decker, and 12 is stored offsite awaiting it's turn in the workshop.

Craig,

Looking great. Did the Bx-26 have the brake reservoir mounted parallel to the centersill?- I know a LOT of ATSF cars had traverse mounted reservoirs.

According to the Speedwitch instructions, yep they were parallel...I suspect something to do with the Duryea cushion underframe. I've got the car finished but before weathering...voila.

post-751-0-03718100-1343601189_thumb.jpg

And a Seaboard AF-1 'turtleback' car...Sunshine kit with Speedwitch decals in place of the kit's rather poor decals.

post-751-0-47434800-1343601248_thumb.jpg

And that Westerfield PRR X25 which almost kicked my backside...it did NOT want to go together due to a badly unflat floor and a twisted roof, which is why I let that topic die. But I fought back, called in the heavy artillery (big mill files, clamps and other weapons) yielding this result...

post-751-0-00979000-1343601356_thumb.jpg

Ahh, the satisfaction of projects being "finnished-ish". I say "ish" because as of Monday they locked my balcony where i could use my airbrush setup so they can repair them at my apartment building, which means both of the projects below are waiting on final clear coats to seal the decals. I thought i had another week's time before i lost my ability to airbrush without driving an hour to my parents house where the layout is.

First up, a GATX 2600 AirSlide Hopper, Athearn RTR, repainted with custom decals for one of the cars leased by Redpath Sugar/Dominion Crystal here in Canada in the 1950's.

7685577146_4baf2dc47f_o.jpg

Second up, a major overhaul of an Athearn Blue Box SW7 that i bought in 1995ish when i was a High School Student. This locomotive had been re-painted by me once to be a CNR Locomotive, but was badly done by brush and without any detail parts to Canadianize the SW7 to a more realistic SW1200RS Appearance. This locomotive now has a Cannon & Co Cab, Miniatures By Eric SW1200 Kit (Light/numberboard assemblies, drop steps, exhausts, pilots), MBE Fuel Tank, MBE Truck Sideframes, Detail Associates sunshades, MV Lenses, no longer powered (was a crap runner and i don't need it as a working loco) and scratch made end handrails.

7685581686_69154c8905_o.jpg

7685578676_596e5be5ee_o.jpg

Not the best pictures i've taken, didn't bother to get out my big camera, just using my point and shoot to grab some quick shots.

Archived