Austin Maestro - CAD & 3D printing project

Burkitt

Hi Paul,

Just been catching up on yout thread, The Maestro it's looking great. My dad had two after owning a Marina and an Ital. I learnt to drive in the Ital and used to drive the Maestro now and then, from memory the first one didn't like the wet until it was fitted with a bag over the distributor. I would certainly be up for a couple once you start producing them.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.

PC120249b.jpg

The original Austin Maestro car arrived in a box from Shapeways today.

PC120217b.jpg

Here's the body on its own...

PC120224b.jpg

...and the chassis, complete with steering wheel.

PC120244b.jpg

It has printed very well, though of course it will benefit from some careful sanding and painting to smooth the surface.

PC120234b.jpg

For the photos I have done a dry run assembly without any glue, and haven't put the lights in place to avoid any chance of losing them.

PC120254b.jpg

PC120232b.jpg

PC120246b.jpg

Paul

Looking good. On the subject of other models what about a Leyland Roadrunner cab?

There are models of the DAF-LF (a facelifted Roadrunner) cab in both 1:87 and 1:50 scales. DAF also have some paper models on their website - http://www.daf.eu/UK/DAF-Experience/Pages/Paper-models.aspx - the home page is here - http://www.daf.eu/uk/Pages/Homepage_DAF_United_kingdom.aspx

It might be worth approaching DAF UK to see if they are happy to provide some plans or dimensions. Failing that I have access to a 7.5tonne LF at work, and I'll run a tapemeasure over it if anyone who is interested PM's me with a list if dimensions.

• RMweb Premium

The current LF is based on the Renault cab rather than the old Leyland one.

There is a very good model of the Renault cab in 1/76 scale. This is in the Del Prado 'Fire Engines of the World' series. They sometimes come up on E-bay. Expect to pay about £15-20 for one. This is of a single cab version not the usual crew cab fire engine.

The current LF is based on the Renault cab rather than the old Leyland one.

It's the same cab that Volvo Trucks use on their low rate range of vehicles. (Volvo Trucks own Renault Truck Industries who own MACK trucks, and Volvo Trucks own Volvo Construction Machines, Hagglunds, and White Trucks USA)

There is a very good model of the Renault cab in 1/76 scale. This is in the Del Prado 'Fire Engines of the World' series. They sometimes come up on E-bay. Expect to pay about £15-20 for one. This is of a single cab version not the usual crew cab fire engine.

Looking good. On the subject of other models what about a Leyland Roadrunner cab?

Thanks Phil. I'll have a look at the Roadrunner, but I want to do some more train models before any more road vehicles.

I've given the car a first coat of paint, which helps show the areas that need more sanding, and shows the shape better in photos.

PC180255.JPG

I'm using the Maestro to test Halfords paints on printed models, and if they work well will use them on the 95 stock train.

PC180262.JPG

For the body I'm using white primer and for the interior grey, to best match the intended final colours.

PC180263.JPG

Unfortunately, the steering wheel fell off while I was cleaning the model. I'll have to include a replacement in my next order, and perhaps add a spare into the model on Shapeways.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Maestro has now been painted in bright boy-racer red, using a spraycan from Halfords.

PC220286.JPG

Frighteningly close to what was once my pride and joy - not that it stayed that way for long - it often spent more time broken down by the side of the road than on it.

post-336-0-78070100-1328384410.jpg

in fact even by the time this photo was taken (which was just after the first time I'd washed it) it had already disgraced itself, the end of a gearbox linkage had popped off leaving me with a choice of just third or fourth.

What's brought this sudden thought of crap cars? - well I've just rejoined that select ownership club, where the arrival at a destination isn't necasarilly a foregone conclusion, £850 of Mazda 323 will keep me going until those theiving ********s at the insurance company agree a sensible valuation of my Subaru, but with snow falling, I wish I had the 4wd with heated seats back.

Jon

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Heres mine - would be 3 years or so old by the time its on the layout so just a smidge of wear and tear. Looking at it this big the black lines need a bit of work to tidy them up

Cheers

Jim

maestro%20weathered.jpg

Thanks Jim, and Bernard. Now you mention it Bernard, I think I remember reading of your recommendation to use drinks bottles for glazing in a review of one of your car kits in Railway Modeller about fifteen years ago.

Paul

True Paul! In fact the first time I used that material was when I made my first kit for the Hillman Minx s.I / II where it was particularly good for the wrap round rear screen as it remained clear even when you bent it tighter. It's also available in differing degrees of curvature as the bottles come in quite a variety of sizes. The only downside is the time it takes to trim them to a tight fit, which is why I cast small ledges round the screens front and rear into most of my Carkit-4 range. Optically it is generally better than moulded plastic glazing.

Hi All

Heres mine - would be 3 years or so old by the time its on the layout so just a smidge of wear and tear. Looking at it this big the black lines need a bit of work to tidy them up

Cheers

Jim

I like that! Speaking as an ex-Maestro owner myself, that looks spot-on, other than that bit of tidying the black that you mention

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing the completed van.

Merf.

I intend to experiment a little with the painting. As the plastic is opaque I will try to paint the backs of the headlights silver and leave the fronts clear. I intent to finish both models in plain colours without writing.

Archived