EFE 1938 London Underground tube trains

jonhall

All,

I though someone might be interested in my conversion of an EFE tube train to operational.

I've got plans (but no space) for an Isle of Wight layout, so this has been aquired

post-336-0-24731600-1319132619.jpg

Obviously it needs a power bogie, but I also thought it needed better training bogies as well.

Getting into the body requires the underframe casting to be prized off, and 4 screws can then come out

post-336-0-66161400-1319132625.jpg

To give room for the Tenshodo the floor above the bogie needs to go (but the seats can stay)

post-336-0-28039500-1319132631.jpg

I kept the outer frame of the EFE, mounting it to the Tenshodo using one of the brakets supplied with the bogie

post-336-0-82980900-1319132636.jpg

and to stop it rocking, I added some L section to either end

post-336-0-30126100-1319132645.jpg

I had to bend the bogie mounting braket to get the right ride height

post-336-0-58093000-1319132653.jpg

post-336-0-90696800-1319132660.jpg

For the trailing bogies I've done my own etch

post-336-0-29561600-1319132667.jpg

and added extra pickups

post-336-0-85593700-1319132674.jpg

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I've got plans (but no space) for an Isle of Wight layout, so this has been aquired

Ahh same problem as me then! :)

My IOW fleet so far is the three EFE units released so far (LT, NSE, Dinosaur) and the ModelZone NSE 03. I went for the lazy option and got the units from MetroModels pre-motorised and with new wheels.

Very neatly done. I fitted a Black Beetle to one of my units but this takes a lot more hacking than the Tenshodo to fit. Friction with the original bogies is a problem, especially for a four-car unit, so I am trying out the Metro Models solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has any one tried the Bachmann Underground Ernie units for motorising the efe tube stock?

Steve.

Yes, I have.

The amount of hacking around of both the EFE car and the mechanism is just not worth the grief. The motor is poor quality and the bogie has very little swing until modified. The bogie is also the incorrect length.

Apart from that...

I had no end of problems with the spud, so for my next conversion will be going down the Black beetle route. I have fitted the Metromodels bogies and find they work well. I cut off the central boss and found some washers that were a perfect fit for the cast mount on the EFE car. A small self tapping screw and all is good.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just tho9ught I'd post a couple of pix as to how I've got on with Jon's etches:

IMG_0239_zps0278dab4.jpg

IMG_0240_zps5a47ea3a.jpg

Very useful etches, however my skills don't do them justice. Will hopefully give them a blast round one of the club layouts next week and supply some better pictures.

AL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've just had another batch of these bogie run, if anyone would like a set please drop me a PM, to allow for the various motorising permutations I'm selling them as single bogies at £1.25each plus postage at cost. I'll do a proper classifieds add later in the week when I have time.

Thanks,

Jon

• 4 months later...

Hi

are you still providing etches for London Unerground bogies?

Adrian

Yes I can I seem to have loads for some reason. £1.25 per bogie plus postage at cost - I know one bogie at a time is a bit odd, but some want 1 power bogie in a coach and others 2.

Please send me a PM with your requirements and I'll work out the postage.

Thanks,

on

• 1 month later...

Archived