Hornby APT-P and assorted others

winky84

Has anybody produced a 3D printed APT set? I sadly lack a 3D printer - big problem that :(.

Yes... That as already gone through my mind already... first things I would try and re-produce would be the APT Body with No Cut Lines in the middle etc...

Sadly I was not saying Yes... I have a 3D Printer btw, (I Wish) but im sure whoever is the first to buy one, can get well minted straight away by just Printing off the APT Body... (is that correct, 'Just Printing off the APT Body'... sounds so futuristic, I'm going to Print me 'Kings Cross Station' off...) Sound so untrue to believe... yet its not to far away...

Jamie

Yes... That as already gone through my mind already... first things I would try and re-produce would be the APT Body with No Cut Lines in the middle etc...

Sadly I was not saying Yes... I have a 3D Printer btw, (I Wish) but im sure whoever is the first to buy one, can get well minted straight away by just Printing off the APT Body... (is that correct, 'Just Printing off the APT Body'... sounds so futuristic, I'm going to Print me 'Kings Cross Station' off...) Sound so untrue to believe... yet its not to far away...

Jamie

It is amazing isn't it. Like a startrek replicator.. Well who ever does an APT or indeed a kings cross ;) could probably have a nice little ebay business going.

Is there one for N Gauge? The cost would be a bit more but could still be achievable. OO gauge is a bit too big for 3D printing, but could a 3D print be used as a master for a resin mould? That way multiple copies could be made for a lower price. I am sure there are pitfalls of this technique but it could be used to produce the missing carriages without people carving up their old sets. 

Is there one for N Gauge? The cost would be a bit more but could still be achievable. OO gauge is a bit too big for 3D printing, but could a 3D print be used as a master for a resin mould? That way multiple copies could be made for a lower price. I am sure there are pitfalls of this technique but it could be used to produce the missing carriages without people carving up their old sets. 

There isn't one for N yet. It could be done. You could probably get it to tilt as well by mounting the bodies onto a pendilino chassis.

That way multiple copies could be made for a lower price. I am sure there are pitfalls of this technique but it could be used to produce the missing carriages without people carving up their old sets. 

Thats exactly what I am doing right at the moment!

cheers

Shane

Unfortunately in N Gauge there is no UK version of the Pendalino yet. However there is a Japanese tilting unit but with the spacing between the carriages and articulated bogies I would suggest that making up a rake would requite some very innovative modelling skill. 

On a separate note, that standalone carriage looks fascinating. Does anyone know what happened to it? 

• RMweb Premium

This is my completely rebuilt power car and what is inside it.

attachicon.gifP1030468.jpg

The power car.

attachicon.gifP1030469.jpg

Pantograph. This is a straight Somerfeldt Stone Faively without mods except that the spring has been weakened and the legs snipped off.

attachicon.gifP1030471.jpg

Pan fixing is via a screw through the base of the pan, the screw has had one side filed off to stop the pan rotating.

attachicon.gifP1030472.jpg

The post that the pan fixes to.

attachicon.gifP1030473.jpg

What's inside!

The inside running gear is a complete vehicle in its own right, the body is not fixed to it in any way and is supported only on the tilt cams on the bogies. The body is free to roll around the chassis as determined by the angle of the bogies. If both bogies are at opposite rotations then the body just lifts slightly rather than tilting.

The chassis is two brass strips with a Bachmann class 08 motor mount trapped in the centre, and holes drilled at each end to take the Heljan bogie mounting pegs. The motor itself is from a Bachmann voyager.

Also visible is the peg that the pan fixes to, the huge advantage of attaching it here is that the pan stays vertical AND in line with the car body rather than turning as it would with Hornby's arrangement of fixing it to the top of the power bogie.

attachicon.gifP1030474.jpg

The mounting for the bogie is seen here, the Heljan plastic frame protrudes through the brass chassis sides and sits just above the extended side of the APT bogie frame. The bogie frame has to be filed down slightly to clear the pegs, I suppose I could have just filed the pegs! (Did you know that the extended bits of the bogie are actually flexicoil suspension? Same as the class 86 etc., just hidden inside the body on APT.) Also visible here is some of the additional lead fitted for traction, this is all soldered onto one side of the brass chassis, the other side can be unscrewed to allow access to the internals.

attachicon.gifP1030475.jpg

Upside down now to show the hacking required of the bogie frames to fit onto the Heljan 33 bogies. The screws are what attach the frame to plates added to the sides of the bogie towers. Also visible is the tilt cam on the inner end of the bogie frame.

attachicon.gifP1030477.jpg

The bogie frame removed to show the plates that it attaches to, and the free floating of the lower part of the bodyshell. You can see here some of the cuts that have to be made to clear the outer bodyshell.

attachicon.gifP1030478.jpg

Trying to show what is added to the side of the bogie. Basically it is a plate of plasticard fixed flat to the side of the tower, drilled with two holes which allow the pegs through it that the pick-ups sit over. These pegs help to keep the plate in place as well. Attached to the plate are two plasticard wings that the bogie frame screws into.

Not shown here is the inside of the upper bodyshell, this needs to have all the pointy bits of the bottom of the insulators flattened off to allow the internal chassis to roll. Also not shown is the coupling on the non pantograph end which is a Hornby pacer coupling of the type that conducts, this links to additional pick-ups on the dummy PC. The dummy PC also has an internal chassis but this time built only of plasticard and purely there to carry the pantograph.

Those who have seen the thing in real life will know that it weighs a ton! I'm also pleased to say that it has been given the Kit Spackman seal of approval :imsohappy:

Andi

Impressive work with the APT power car. That is just what I had in mind for my setup, thus is of great assistance.

I've been building mine for over 2 years now. It started out as an 8 car set with carriage lighting +DCC control, but has grown to full size.

• RMweb Gold

Impressive work with the APT power car. That is just what I had in mind for my setup, thus is of great assistance.

I've been building mine for over 2 years now. It started out as an 8 car set with carriage lighting +DCC control, but has grown to full size.

That's looking good, nice to see another full set. Hope you don't mind me posting my set as a video response to yours?

If you need any more details on what I did with my PC let me know.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

That's looking good, nice to see another full set. Hope you don't mind me posting my set as a video response to yours?

If you need any more details on what I did with my PC let me know.

Andi

No problem, thanks for the offer.

I may need to build 2 power cars yet to get it upto 160mph+, scale speed of course :)

Hi all

What a great thread to with cutting the APT coach in half to make it into a coach the Hornby never did and yet it existed in the real APT... does anyone have more step by step photos with more detailed explaining...

Keep up the excellent thread.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

There are drawings of the APT-P in British Rail Fleet Survey #5 High Speed Trains. How accurate are they?

Similarly, is the Hornby model dimensionally accurate & hence useable to scale dimensions down to N?

The stand alone trailer was modified in around 85/86 as a prototype for the Mk4 coach. I have a photo of it somewhere. It ran between the power car and the trailer brake first IIRC.

Modern Locomotives Illustrated No. 176 (April/May 2009) gives some more details on 48204:

It was taken from set 370004 in mid 1984 and taken to the RTC at Derby. The underframe was extensivly rebuilt. This involved provinding new bogie centres for a pair of modified BT12 bogies and removal of some of the skirting. It was re-numbered RDB977527. The interior was stripped and an instrumentation bay fitted. Static and dynamic testing was carried out using the vehicle to test the principle of tilt on a two bogie vehicle. On WCML testing it was often sandwiched between an APT power car and a trailer brake vehicle. It was scrapped in October 1989 by Vic Berry.

The testing was part of the developement of the Intercity 225 trains which were to have loco hauled trains made up of 14 twin bogie tilting carriages with class 91 power. The trains got built (Mk4 coaches - hence a different profile to Mk3s) but the tilt option wasn't developed.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

.........the other option is CD/DVD ROM tray motors which have a fair bit of torque as you would know if you've ever got your fingers caught in a closing drive tray

:O

I was inspired by this video

I have some 1980's HSTs that I fitted these to.....

Fitting in the ringfield bogie frame was pretty easy. CD motors tend to have a boss around the output shaft that's a smidge bigger than the hole left in the frame by the removal of the original brass ringfield output shaft bush, so careful reaming/drilling ensures the CD motor is centred.

There are typically lots of threaded mounting holes in the front of these motors, so attaching one to the chassis is pretty straightforward. I usually pot them in place with araldite once they're working nicely. Perhaps this is overkill again.

That is pretty much the same type of motor used by the recently defunct ModelTorque to remotor Lima ringfield bogies.

As a side-note to this topic, I just thought I'd mention I've started a thread on my efforts improve the APT in the Modifying and Detailing RTR forum (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67511-improving-the-Hornby-apt/), making use of several of the pointers in this thread - which is the catalyst to me getting my razor saw and glue out.

Any of the experts who fancy telling me when I'm going wrong (ideally before I do so...) are welcome to comment..!

As a side-note to this topic, I just thought I'd mention I've started a thread on my efforts improve the APT in the Modifying and Detailing RTR forum (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67511-improving-the-Hornby-apt/), making use of several of the pointers in this thread - which is the catalyst to me getting my razor saw and glue out.

Any of the experts who fancy telling me when I'm going wrong (ideally before I do so...) are welcome to comment..!

Hi mate

You need to talk to Andi aka (ID) dagworth, he's my first port of call... and also Alastair aka (ID) Alastair... these two guys are the brains to everything APT....

Jamie

Guest dubdee1000

Fantastic video, though perhaps a little sad to see the enthusiasm that Brian King had for it ultimately not coming to pass.  One of the great 'What ifs'      It did raises a bit of a smile though when towards the end, Peter Purves was commenting on the smoothness of the ride and you could barely hear him for the sound of the cutlery rattling.

Archived