Outwell Village

alan

Guest Linthorpe

I must confess that I have not done the painting of the backscene, that was down to Neil Ripley. He has done an excelent job.

I picked up a very old book a couple of years ago in a second hand shop that suggested the continuation of a street on a back scene very much like this, but with a grubby little line drawing I couldn't see the full effect. As you say Neil has done a fantastic job, the difference between the 'now' shots compared to the 'then' on page 1 is immense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think they both are, Neil.

Alan - John Peck did (for Mick B originally) a small data panel such as these carried and also the 'Not to run in the Southern Scottish Area' which some had. I'm sure he could knock you a few out. I have none left and need to order some myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Another addition to the stock for Outwell Village, this time a Special Guards Van No16. Again this is a D & S kit.

post-7379-0-57553400-1359911064.jpg

I have started with the detail on the sides, fitting the centre panels door hinges and vents. Steps on the end and drop down windows on both.

post-7379-0-91013300-1359911241.jpg

post-7379-0-62846600-1359911274.jpg

Next job is to fit the hand rail to the end, and door handles to the sides and the other end.

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

Saw this in the latest BRM - which I don't normally buy but did solely for this layout!  I have a series of 2mm scale etches for the trams and coaches and long term plans on building a layout based on the W&U - not sure yet if 2mm FS (ideally) or N (which would at least get something done)!  Top effort and glad to have found it here for the extra pictures.

Thanks for the very kind comments, glad that you like our efforts. We have enjoyed building the layout. If you would like to see it in the flesh, it will be at Ely in May, DEMU at the end of May, Pickering in August and High Wycombe in November.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just under a week to go before the Ely show, layout checked over. Looking forward to taking the layout almost to its place of inspiration. Hope to take a look at where the line used to be on the way down to the exhibition

• 2 months later...
High time for an update we think.............

Alan has had a birthday of late .....one of those 'significant' ones which involve a big '0' at the end!!

As such at a very enjoyable evenings eating and drinking......sorry I mean enjoyable entertainment in a local (to him anyway) hostelry the gang presented him with the these new toys for his trainset which had been built in secret.

A newly built (from a very old whitemetal kit) J70 in lined LNER finish...............handy cos he hadn't got one for the layout and lets face it the line was pretty much run by them at times!

post-143-0-49685900-1406570148.jpg

Plus to compliment the scene another lacking feature (to tick off his list of things to do) in the form of this 1934 Morris Commercial C type semi forward control fruit lorry built using parts from the Road Transport Images range of 1/76th scale cast resin commercial components.

post-143-0-22883800-1406570166.jpg

Many thanks to to them for supplying this particular combination of his cast parts and loads to enable this model to be constructed which if he is correct this may be the first of this particular kit to be constructed in this arrangement. Very nice it is too.

Incidentally some footage of the layout in action in its later 1950's format can be seen here......
...... probably best if you watch with the commentary turned off though!

steve

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I saw you at DEMU this year. I was putting up pictures....when some poor devil drove into a nearby telephone pole and disconnected us for a couple of weeks. Seeing this post reminded me how much I enjoyed the detailing on your layout. So I hope you don't mind these late additions

med_gallery_17883_3195_116792.jpg

med_gallery_17883_3195_102562.jpgwonderful modelling

med_gallery_17883_3195_584422.jpglittle shop cameo

med_gallery_17883_3195_109242.jpgridge crossing into a quiet village

med_gallery_17883_3195_795483.jpgthe washing line

med_gallery_17883_3195_164525.jpgnice rolling stock very evocative of era

I hope you don't mind I plan to put them up on my own thread as well. As the pictures I took reference those details I deem worth of stealing....oops I mean copying... :angel:

• Like 8