MOD Train - Warflats

Trains4U

I'm intending to build up a decent MOD train, suitable for the 1980's and I've started with a GRA models warflat.

This is the WW2 design wagon which was phased out during the 1980s.

The wagon still has a way to go (Bogies need painting, metal wheels are required, plus transfers and weathering)

But the FV432s are almost done, they only need number plates and convoy markings to complete.

I've quite enjoyed painting them up

The L plates and rear warning plates were high-res JPGs printed on photo paper - I thought they'd be better overall than transfers (and cheaper)

post-40-0-60455100-1319665636_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-07195100-1319665646_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-16204600-1319665653_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-66624800-1319665662_thumb.jpg

Whilst they are a pretty good representation of a Mk2 FV432, the mouldings to suffer from distortion, bubbles and broken detail. The track links and headlight guards particularly. I might give the Cromwell models version a try next time.

I'm also after some 1970's pattern warflats - I hear the Genesis kit is a bit of a handful. are there any alternatives that you may be aware of? and does anyone make a Warwell?

I'll add more pics as I get on...

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 5

Hi,

Matador Models make a range of military vehicles and a few rail vehicles. I have a WW2 warflat of theirs, only after I had altered the bogie mounts did I notice the jacks were missing so I am finishing it as a bogie bolster, probably as an internal user. Matador also have a warwell in the range, I haven't seen one but was told it was easier to build than the Genesis kit.

I got my Matador kit through Scalelink. http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Armoured_Train_Range___Scale_1_76.html

Paul

The OO Gauge Association do a (members only) warflat kit, not sure of it's lineage though, ISTR it was reviewed in one of the mags not too long ago.

I think thats the WW2 version, The 70's version has straight solebars and a fishbelly girder behind.

I seem to remember people saying the Genesis warwell was fiddly as you had to form the floor from a single flat piece, not sure about the warflat, surely it can't be as bad, its a flat floor and straight sides for a start.

I scratchbuilt a warwell using appleby bogies and jacks, there was an article in Model Rail a few years back with a drawing, and another article on MOD trains in Rail Express with a couple of drawings I think, definately a warwell drawing and maybe a warflat.

I think there may even be a Plastruct I section that is about the right size for the warflat solebars, I think thats what I used for one of those.

Mike

Hi chap only 1 tiny observation the MK 2 432 with the exhaust on the side is not petrol fueled but diesel and so the two filler caps to the rear on the vehicles should be painted yellow, you may wan to consider adding call signs to the sides in black

apart from that i can smell them now having done 12 years in the REME fixing the blooming things

• Like 4

Guest taylorc

Hi

I have built the Genesis kits KFA Warflat. I found it quite easy to assemble using solder for the main components and superglue for the minor bits. I would say its one of the easier to assemble Genesis kits.

Hopefully the photo of it is attached.

Colin

post-2872-0-19085500-1319738762_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi chap only 1 tiny observation the MK 2 432 with the exhaust on the side is not petrol fueled but diesel and so the two filler caps to the rear on the vehicles should be painted yellow, you may wan to consider adding call signs to the sides in black

apart from that i can smell them now having done 12 years in the REME fixing the blooming things

I'll make the change! thanks, I'd have never known that.

I do intend to get some call signs (As well as number plates and convoy markings).

I might give the genesis kit a try soon.

Hi,

Matador Models make a range of military vehicles and a few rail vehicles. I have a WW2 warflat of theirs, only after I had altered the bogie mounts did I notice the jacks were missing so I am finishing it as a bogie bolster, probably as an internal user. Matador also have a warwell in the range, I haven't seen one but was told it was easier to build than the Genesis kit.

I got my Matador kit through Scalelink. http://www.scalelink...Scale_1_76.html

Paul

I see Scale Link say 'retail only' on the Matador Models armered train range, although the warflat appears to be out of production. I did send a cheaque to Matador Models several mounths ago for one of their Warwells and have heard nothing, there seams to be no way of contacting them other than by post.

The Genesis Warwell is no longer produced, I have made there Warflat, mostly soldered without too much trouble.

Edited by bubbles2

Trains4U,

Nice job on the warflat. There is something quite compelling about military vehicles on trains from a modelling point of view (particularly when there is a Crompton on the front of the train). Can I ask about the origins of your FV432s, please? I have been on the lookout for a couple of Cromwell Models versions for a while to do something similar, so far unsuccessfully, so I was wondering about alternative kits. Yours certainly look the part:I would be grateful for any steers, please. Many thanks.

Regards,

Paul

They are GRA Models Resin kits http://www.gramodels...uk/4mm_kits.php

- the Cromwell kit certainly looks very well detailed, I'll have to get a few of those.

I picked the warflat up from their stand at the Peterborough show, they were selling the warflat and the two 432s for £30

i'll be after a handful of Mk2 Ferrets next (£7.50 each - new and not listed on their website, but on sale at the show) though I may make up a few airfix (MB models) Saracens as well.

What I will be after is some decent Saxons and CVRTs

The 43s will be tied down (I need to make some chocs as well), I'm undecided as to whether to model chains or strops though.

Edited by Trains4U

Gareth,

Many thanks for the steer on the GRA Models '432: a couple of those are about to appear on my Christmas list. The Ferret sounds exciting, too. I can commend the ex-MB (now Airfix) Saracen to you, having converted one to a late ambulance version and with another on the bench to do (- the kit represents an eary vehicle, but the conversion is a straightforward exercise with plastic sheet). It went together very well and looks the part. I also have a Kingfisher Models resin Saxon to build at some point - currently part of the small mountain of kits we all seem to keep in the wardrobe. I cannot comment on the build quality or the accuracy, but it looks extremely nice in the box, albeit that is not necessarily an indicator. Will comment on here in due course as and when it reaches the top of the pile.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Paul

Gareth,

can I ask what you are planning to do regarding couplings for the warflat, please? In a rush of enthusiasm I have made a start on (what I think is) the same resin/whitemetal kit that you built, purchased some time ago and stored deep in the magic wardrobe. I spent an entertaining couple of hours yesterday evening fettling the headstocks and jacks. Only then did it occur to me that bogie-fitted couplings might be a non-starter due to the limited arcs of movement caused by the presence of the jack assemblies. After some head-scratching I am leaning towards body-fitted couplings (I prefer Kaydees for convenience and reliability: I am not a big fan of scale couplings ) - it is not a particularly long vehicle, after all - but wondered if you had already come up with a viable solution? Happy modelling.

Regards,

Paul

Ah, cunning: that should work. I think I will have a go at the body-mounted Kaydees, but if that does not pan out quite the way I hope, your solution sounds like the way ahead. I am certainly not short of suitable vehicles to act as converters. Just need the bogies to arrive now.

Over the weekend I intend to root through the kit collection to try to find the white metal (BW Models, I think?) BV206 snow cat I salted away a few years back as a reminder of a couple of trips up and down a mountain side in the Falklands some years ago: as I recall it was rather like a DMU - much more fun to model than to ride in, and better through the rose-tinted goggles of hindsight! The combination of military and railway modelling is certainly quite addictive! I really do need to get on and start dealing with the modelling backlog instead of just talking about it. Thanks again for your advice.

Kind regards,

Paul

What I will be after is some decent Saxons and CVRTs The 43s will be tied down (I need to make some chocs as well),

Can't do better than an ace models Scorpion. Comes with photo etch tracks too, but can be a little pricey. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ace-1-72-20mm-FV-101-CVR-T-Scorpion-/310318903499?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item484072b0cb

The Ace kits scorpion is nice, but at the best part of £18 for the kit it is a bit much (you can get 3 airfix kits for the same money)

I even had a ew customers query the price when I had them on stock.

I'm trying out a few vehicles from S&S models (CVRW Fox, CVRT Spartan) and Britannia Miniatures (Scimitar and FV432)

I'll see how they look once "Done up"

• RMweb Gold

I note on Gramodels website that they do some 2mm scale items. Does any one know if their 2mm warflats are suitable for present day use?

Ian

Parkwood do a Warflat and Warwell in 2mm, but I can't remember if the Warflats are the early or later version - Parkwood kits are (only?) available through the NGS. ATM do a conversion for Gloucester GPS bogies: http://www.atmwagons.co.uk/id5.html

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Parkwood Warflat in N is for the WW2 version. If you want the 1970s version you either need to find an Ian Stoate Models "kit" or scratch build. The resin ISM use isn't the best for staying straight though. Appart from the jacks at the end it's not a difficult scratch building job.

I'm still hunting for suitable transfers though.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.