Messerschmitt KR200 and BMW Isetta 250 (50s 3-wheelers)

frisby

My late mother in law turned her Isetta over more than once! (she was a large lady) Happy days ...

In the early 60's I worked in a motorcyle and light car dealer .This included the dreaded Reliant .The works hack was a grey primered worn out van and when my mechanic friend and I had to use the bloddy thing as no bike was available or we had to pickup a large part .If we saw a pretty girl or three we would roll it over by turning the wheel sharply and shifting weight ,no seat belts of course .We would then get out in the road ,push it back upright and bow to the crowd ) .Strangly no girl we tried to impress ever made any attempt to show any appreciation of our splendid bravery .A lot the reason for these piles of rubbish was not just tax but you could use a motorcycle licence for a three wheeler which in those days was far more common than having a car licence.

The Bond Bug (any colour you want as long as it's tangerine - was the designer a closet Blackpool supporter?) wasn't really a Bond at all, but a Reliant.

The "proper" Bonds were built in Preston by a company called Sharp. The most-common versions were soft-topped, powered by a Villiers 197cc single cylinder engine. Single front wheel with the engine/gearbox assembly hanging on the stub axle. To start it, you lifted the bonnet, dropped the kick-start lever, got one leg inside the bonnet area and prayed that, firstly, it fired and, secondly, you didn't rip your leg open on a stray piece of metal. 3 forward gears, column mounted change, no reverse so you could drive it on a motorbike license and a bench seat which gave it a good start as a "passion wagon" - I know, I was that spotty youth and it was a good classroom for human biology!

Because of the 90 degree steering lock on the front axle, it would actually turn within its own length. Also, parking in limited spaces was straightforward - nose in, tight up to the car in front, get out & lift back end over to the kerb. Easier with two but quite possible with one (we did similar things with minis, but that's another story!). Cable brake to the front wheel, rods to the rear, so it was even possible to stop the thing (although not always precisely when or where you wanted . . . .)

Some of the later models had electric start, while there was a "super" version with a 247cc twin cylinder unit. That one, reputedly, would top 40mph!

Regarding the Messerschmitt, I can remember in the late '50s / very early '60s being on holiday with my parents in North Wales. 3 of us plus dog plus luggage plus camping gear in an ancient, hired, Austin A30 carefully negotiating the Llanberris Pass when we were passed by an ME-whatever-model-it-was. My Dad wasn't happy!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

lovely tin plate model of the 4 wheel version available from www.harlequins.uk.com. this is 12th scale.. Was the 4 wheel Isetta made in UK, or Germany ? Any info on it anyone ?

The normal Isetta only had 4 wheels. The three wheel version was made for the UK market only because the 4 wheelers were classed as a normal car and had to pay car road tax and required a full car licence. Some 3 wheel Isettas may have been made in Germany but the 4 wheel version was not made in the UK.

My late mother in law turned her Isetta over more than once! (she was a large lady) Happy days ...

The same story exactly regarding my own mother-in-law, she too was a large lady, I recall it looked rather like a lady-bird when upside down!

The Bond Bug (any colour you want as long as it's tangerine - was the designer a closet Blackpool supporter?) wasn't really a Bond at all, but a Reliant.

The "proper" Bonds were built in Preston by a company called Sharp. The most-common versions were soft-topped, powered by a Villiers 197cc single cylinder engine. Single front wheel with the engine/gearbox assembly hanging on the stub axle. To start it, you lifted the bonnet, dropped the kick-start lever, got one leg inside the bonnet area and prayed that, firstly, it fired and, secondly, you didn't rip your leg open on a stray piece of metal. 3 forward gears, column mounted change, no reverse so you could drive it on a motorbike license and a bench seat which gave it a good start as a "passion wagon" - I know, I was that spotty youth and it was a good classroom for human biology!

Because of the 90 degree steering lock on the front axle, it would actually turn within its own length. Also, parking in limited spaces was straightforward - nose in, tight up to the car in front, get out & lift back end over to the kerb. Easier with two but quite possible with one (we did similar things with minis, but that's another story!). Cable brake to the front wheel, rods to the rear, so it was even possible to stop the thing (although not always precisely when or where you wanted . . . .)

Some of the later models had electric start, while there was a "super" version with a 247cc twin cylinder unit. That one, reputedly, would top 40mph!

Regarding the Messerschmitt, I can remember in the late '50s / very early '60s being on holiday with my parents in North Wales. 3 of us plus dog plus luggage plus camping gear in an ancient, hired, Austin A30 carefully negotiating the Llanberris Pass when we were passed by an ME-whatever-model-it-was. My Dad wasn't happy!

The last proper Bond 3-wheelers were powered by a Hillman Imp engine. In fact the Imp crossmember, engine, gearbox and suspension were shoehorned into the back of a Fibreglass monocoque almost 4seater shell. The engine was the lower compression one used for Imp vans with dished pistons. First mod was to swap them for standard flat top ones, maximum rebore took it close to 930cc.

Frighteningly fast, a decent Imp weighing 15cwt was good for close on 80mph, the Bond 875 only weighed 7cwt. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. I did 20,000 miles a year for about ten years in the two I owned and enjoyed most of them. Best fun, passing a flat out reliant regal and then changing up to top gear!

Phil T.

Incidentally Bond also built 4 wheelers too, one version with a Triumph Herald base and one with the Vitesse 6.

The last proper Bond 3-wheelers were powered by a Hillman Imp engine. Frighteningly fast, a decent Imp weighing 15cwt was good for close on 80mph, the Bond 875 only weighed 7cwt. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Best fun, passing a flat out reliant regal and then changing up to top gear!

I've heard about Imp engines revving past 9000rpm before!

I've heard about Imp engines revving past 9000rpm before!

To get past 5500 revs with a standard engine the contact breaker spring in the distributor needs to be swapped for a stronger one(mini cooper) or the points bounce, unintentional rev limiter?

A regularly campaigned dragster in the 1970's used to rev to 9 and a bit with a blown 998 imp engine,fantastic sound, his biggest problem was snapped camshafts iirc.

Apologies to the OP by the way

I seem to have dragged us well off 1950's 3 wheelers.

Years ago I worked with a guy that fitted an Imp engine on to his motor bike.

He also fitted a starter motor to his old Qualcast hand pushed lawnmower, together with a car battery, thus producing an electric mower.

You just don't see iinovation like that nowadays.

Stewart

Years ago I worked with a guy that fitted an Imp engine on to his motor bike.

He also fitted a starter motor to his old Qualcast hand pushed lawnmower, together with a car battery, thus producing an electric mower.

You just don't see iinovation like that nowadays.

Stewart

A guy in Derby fitted two, back to back in a motorbike frame and used it for many years. A lot of clever work as one of them would have to have run backwards.

Heaven knows what his insurance bill was for a 1750cc, 8 cylinder motorbike.

Phil T.

A guy in Derby fitted two, back to back in a motorbike frame and used it for many years. A lot of clever work as one of them would have to have run backwards.

Heaven knows what his insurance bill was for a 1750cc, 8 cylinder motorbike.

Phil T.

Going completely OT now, for which I must apologise...

The time I quoted, well around then there seemed to be a fad of 'cut & shut' cars, where 2 (1/2)cars were welded back-to-back, and thus made driveable in either direction. I was particularly interested when someone did an A30/A35, as that was my car of the time. Anyone remember any of these, or have pics?

Stewart

ps would make an interesting Oxford Diecast model!

• RMweb Gold

Going completely OT now, for which I must apologise...

The time I quoted, well around then there seemed to be a fad of 'cut & shut' cars, where 2 (1/2)cars were welded back-to-back, and thus made driveable in either direction. I was particularly interested when someone did an A30/A35, as that was my car of the time. Anyone remember any of these, or have pics?

Stewart

ps would make an interesting Oxford Diecast model!

Totally off topic but this is a replica of a cut and shut that actually existed :O

Cheers,

Mark

what about the bond bug for a model. all the one's i have seen have been in orange.

There was the Bond Mini Car which had three wheels too, it had a Villiers [i think] 2 stroke engine max speed about 25 mph if the wind wasn't against you and not forgetting that the first Morgans were three wheelers too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There were still sidecars powered by Imp engines in the late 70's they produced enough bhp to still be competitive club machines. I remember solid copper head gaskets and strangely shaped pistons and combustion chambers.

Our local vicar had an Isetta at one time. It had a rather elderly battery making it reluctant to start on a cold morning and so he would bump start it whilst seated with the front door open so he could paddle it down the village street with his feet before dropping it into gear. One morning it came to life with a bit more enthusiasm than usual and Mr Marchant was a bit slow to get his feet back inside, resulting in his running over his own right foot. this, of course, resulted in him being dragged out of his seat and, the little BMW single warming to its task, the car climbing over him. Being one of the substantial, rugby-playing species of clergyman and the car being very light, this did him very little damage and left him able to pick himself up and pursue the Isetta on foot as it attempted to make good its escape. Sadly, it didn't get far, deflecting off a couple of parked cars in elegant slow motion, mounting the kerb and coming to rest wedged between a telegraph pole and the front of the Post Office.

Of course, by the laws of automotive embarrassment, the whole incident took place in front of an appreciative audience of small boys awaiting the school bus.

• 1 month later...

Dad had a Heinkel and used to regularly commute between Durham and the South West in it, along with touring much of Scotland.  He reckoned it was a very elegant design structurally, owing a great deal to aircraft principles.  The Isetta, on the other hand, he considered very crude, with a heavy, ladder chassis and an engine offset to the right.  In the original LHD design, it was intended to partially counterbalance the weight of a solo driver but, of course, in RHD, it had the opposite effect and reduced stability in left hand turns.  The engine, I believe, came from one of BMW's smaller bikes.

• RMweb Premium

The Isetta was originally an Italian design by a company called ISO. BMW acquired a licence to produce the vehicle. The engine had nothing in common with the BMW motorcycles which used a flat twin as opposed to the Isetta's vertical single cylinder. ISO also made a small truck based on the bubble car as well as a four seater with an extended chassis and conventional side doors for the rear passengers. ISO's principle business was domestic refrigerators, IIRC they are now part of the Zanussi group. 

The Isetta was originally an Italian design by a company called ISO. BMW acquired a licence to produce the vehicle. The engine had nothing in common with the BMW motorcycles which used a flat twin as opposed to the Isetta's vertical single cylinder. ISO also made a small truck based on the bubble car as well as a four seater with an extended chassis and conventional side doors for the rear passengers. ISO's principle business was domestic refrigerators, IIRC they are now part of the Zanussi group. 

Umm, whilst I'm not going to insist on Isettas having a BMW bike engine, BMW did, in the 50s, produce a number of smaller motorcycles such as the 250 cc R25 which were not flat twins but fairly conventional upright singles.  It was these, or a fan cooled variation thereof, which I was under the impression powered BMW's Isetta production.

Ah yes, here we are.  Whilst the original Iso Isetta used Iso's own two stroke engine, the BMW Isetta, which is what the UK saw, had the BMW R25 motorcycle engine.

Is anyone else reading this and having visions of a Suzuki Huyabusa engine in one of the Messerschmitt cars? Thoughts of the howl of the bike engine and the violence of the acceleration are running through my mind.

Or is it just me....

Alastair

Not quite a 'Busa, but back in the early 80s somebody shoehorned the drivetrain from a Honda CX500 (500 cc water cooled, shaft drive V-twin) under the slightly extended back of a Trojan/Heinkel which, apparently was moderately frightening.  About 10 years ago, a company called Tri-Tech were offering Isetta and Messerschmit replicas with the option of a Kawasaki GPZ500S engine which should have gone fairly well.

A trawl of Youtube turns up a few clips of large annd powerful motorcycle engines in unsuitable chassis.  I think the CBR900 powered Fiat 126 looked the most exciting.

Archived