WISBECH AND UPWELL

swisspeat

if you are doing the coaches, then a version of locos and coaches in HO would be nice. Sorry to go on about HO,but ability to do models in many different scales is one very big advantage of 3D printing. Also I have found HO scales models come out at about 25-30% cheaper than 4mm/ft scale ones. I did start on a design for a basic version of one of the locos(Y6 but could also adapt to J70), but if there is already another model available I won't continue with it.

The 7mm tram looks fantastic! As discussed a few months ago, I'll definitely be interested when they're available.

Will have to have to have a think about a suitable chassis/motor bogie.

Great news though!

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressed with the quality of finish on that 04.

There are a number of options for the C53 (J70) 0-6-0 tram, and it looks like there is a new high quality contender from BR Blue.

What I have not seen (other than in the form of the out of production etched D&S kit) is a G15 (Y6) 0-4-0 tram.

It would be very good if either of you gentlemen would produce that (in 4mm).

The last 2 survived into the early '50s, so I would hope there would be sufficient interest even among today's BR-minded modeller to justify a model.

Alternatively, producing the steam tram's cow catcher as a separate component would ease the only real difficulty faced by the scratch-builder.

if you are doing the coaches, then a version of locos and coaches in HO would be nice. Sorry to go on about HO,but ability to do models in many different scales is one very big advantage of 3D printing. Also I have found HO scales models come out at about 25-30% cheaper than 4mm/ft scale ones. I did start on a design for a basic version of one of the locos(Y6 but could also adapt to J70), but if there is already another model available I won't continue with it.

Just had a test print of the 4mm class 04 tram delivered from Shapeways in their High Definition Acrylic material.  Picture below of the model as delivered.

04%204mm%20HDA_zpsvwpnmp59.jpg

• RMweb Premium
Gordon A, on 14 Sept 2016 - 09:00, said:

Have you had the exhaust pipe printed as well?

Gordon A

W & U locos didn't have an exhaust stack when first delivered. Later they acquired a plain piece of pipe stuck in the exhaust outlet*.

I like the look of that High Definition Acrylic. Is it my imagination or is the surface really much smoother than other 3D processes which are, frankly, pretty awful.

David

* Example here: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p419583910/h13e2bab0#h13e2bab0

Just had a test print of the 4mm class 04 tram delivered from Shapeways in their High Definition Acrylic material.  Picture below of the model as delivered.

Looks pretty tasty to me. Am I right in thinking this will be a straight plant on to the Bachmann chassis?

The class 04 looks stunning :)

Very nice when will the 7mm versions be available?

Marc

I'll be interested in hearing too!

I don't know whether anyone has thoughts about a suitable chassis for the J70 in 7mm scale?

David

Leave the chassis to me one of the advantage of running a model railway business is that I can design an build most things. once I know the size of the hole in the body then I will be able to design a bespoke chassis for both the J60 and the diesel tram loco.

Marc

I have a prototypically accurate 7mm scale underframe ready. It comes complete with buffer beams and accurate running plate - yours looks smooth with no tread pattern. I haven't yet included the skirts or cowcatcher.

I was going to complete the designs of all the body and cab variations but have been distracted by my BTH Type 1 project. 3D printing could be an easier alternative.

If anyone is interested in a complete 7mm scale underframe kit let me know. The test build starts here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82812-little-loco-company/?p=1875739

• 3 weeks later...

I'm another that would love one of those 04 bodies, I did purchase some plans a few years back to try and scratchbuild/bash my own as kits for the cabs have long been out of production/unavailable, but sadly the plans were the later 04 type cab with cowcatchers and sides bolted on.

Both of those Wisbech locos look stunning. I'd really like to get hold of one of each in 7mm too. I was looking towards getting hold of a 'Little Loco Company' 04 but it seems they're going in the direction of RTR and other locos at the moment. Do you have any idea of production and prices yet?

I assume you mean Railway Modeller, sorry I'm not down with the lingo on other mags, BRM is the only one I've picked up for well over a year now. (Wish Traction magazine was available somewhere near me and not a 3 mile walk to WH Smiths. With them both being Warners now, I'd have expected to find traction somewhere in the area of BRM down at Sainsburys or even McColls.)

RM,has been known the the Modeller for many years. The article for next month says Wisbech and Upwell Office, Scale drawings and layout plan. Just need some 3D printed models in HO now, not OO or O, might have to do my own, but would prefer ones already done, resized.

RM,has been known the the Modeller for many years. The article for next month says Wisbech and Upwell Office, Scale drawings and layout plan. Just need some 3D printed models in HO now, not OO or O, might have to do my own, but would prefer ones already done, resized.

Modeller??  Don't you mean the Todeller....?

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

This looks really nice, earlier on you said that these may be made avalible more widely - is that the case?

Best Wishes

David

Stewart, If I actually was to write  what I really feel to your comment, I would probably get banned. It is the elitist narrow minded attitude of some(a very small minority luckily) in the hobby that is doing more harm, and putting people off.I have followed P4 from the start, and other super finescale modelling, but quite often in particular at exhibitions, they are not the models that people stop to look at , especially when very little is happening.

Although some welcome all the fine detail on models you can buy off the shelf now, those same people grumble about the prices, and many of those models suffer from bits dropping off first time they are actually used on a layout, so many spend their lives in show cabinets.

To keep the hobby on the move, it needs people who are happy to build, convert and have fun. 3D printing does not only deliver something for those who want museum quality for those not capable of building them, but something for those who want a bit of help, and at the end of the daythey still  feel they have achieved something.

3D printing is also not pidgeon holed into scales/gauges that manufacturers have offered, but allows people to model in any scale, and therefore can broaden the hobby.

Having just spent weekend at one exhibition, had some interesting discussions, and talked to some who knew a lot about CAD software and some of the problems, one being difficulty of resizing/rescaling models as many packages are for designing real items to 1:1 scale. As a result I actually feel even better for using the package I use. Not only is it better at doing what I want now, but is also a lot cheaper.

Stewart, If I actually was to write  what I really feel to your comment, I would probably get banned. It is the elitist narrow minded attitude of some(a very small minority luckily) in the hobby that is doing more harm, and putting people off.I have followed P4 from the start, and other super finescale modelling, but quite often in particular at exhibitions, they are not the models that people stop to look at , especially when very little is happening.

Although some welcome all the fine detail on models you can buy off the shelf now, those same people grumble about the prices, and many of those models suffer from bits dropping off first time they are actually used on a layout, so many spend their lives in show cabinets.

To keep the hobby on the move, it needs people who are happy to build, convert and have fun. 3D printing does not only deliver something for those who want museum quality for those not capable of building them, but something for those who want a bit of help, and at the end of the daythey still  feel they have achieved something.

3D printing is also not pidgeon holed into scales/gauges that manufacturers have offered, but allows people to model in any scale, and therefore can broaden the hobby.

Having just spent weekend at one exhibition, had some interesting discussions, and talked to some who knew a lot about CAD software and some of the problems, one being difficulty of resizing/rescaling models as many packages are for designing real items to 1:1 scale. As a result I actually feel even better for using the package I use. Not only is it better at doing what I want now, but is also a lot cheaper.

What interests the purists quite often does not interest the public. I love finescale shows but the visitor numbers are falling. Just been to the Chelmsford show a couple of weeks ago, a one day show full of public. Not only a couple of layouts for the very young but a couple more which had the odd Thomas loco (even an 009 layout) they could run for the toddlers, Needless to say the show was packed out with families and thankfully not too many of the sandal brigade with backpacks hitting everyone and getting in the way of others viewing layouts

I in fact have stopped buying the finescale mags, still get the RM though !!

Stewart

At one time I got fed up with the Railway Modeller, the reverse has now happened as I pick up a copy of one of the so called better mags and after skipping through it cannot find any reasons to buy it. I sold off all my old mags of a couple of titles, but as old RM's are two a penny I cut out the plans which I keep in a folder as a referance source

One thing I like about the RM is the diversity of the scale and gauges in each mag plus the small adds from suppliers. OK it sometimes pushes layouts featuring its own products, but there is always something I enjoy

Archived