Farish Class 411 / 4CEP

TomE

Thanks for posting your findings re the haulage power of the 4CEP; mine can haul itself but can't haul a dummy 73 at one end so perhaps mine is faulty.

I have no experience of the Dummy 73 ( only a powered one!!) so I am not sure how free running they are, but I would add that the non powered CEP cars are very free rolling.

Interestingly on a 00 layout the 00 CEPs do not seem to have the same resrve power as the N gauge version! A 4 car CEP will climb gradients of around 1in 25 to 1 in 30 but with a notable reduction in speed and an additional coach caused a great deal of slipping!

Whilst a 12 car train is a little too long for many layouts, I would imagine that 8 cars would be able to be run on many, perhaps there is a case for Bachmann to consider selling unpowered 4 car sets ( As Dapol do with some of their products)

I am not quite sure how the equaton would work commercially, but maybe there are modellers who would be reluctant to pay out a further £120 for an additional powered set, but would pay say £80 for an unpowered set??

That would certainly interest me ...

• RMweb Premium

Just got around to testing my all Green CEP plenty of pulling/pushing power Code 50 illuminated one way ( Victoria - Ramsgate via Herne Hill and Chatham / Charing Cross - Dartford via Lewisham and Sidcup) other end is white illuminated double blank blind so that will be off under DCC when trailing :beee:

Now to work out how to convert to 2mm :O

• 2 weeks later...

A few prototype notes having seen the orientation of the vehicles in BECMAYE's excellent video above:

The units as manufactured by Farish represent the 'Phase I' production sets with Mark IV power bogies and non-Commonwealth trailer bogies. The two power cars differ electrically in that one carried a motor generator and the other the unit battery. The lower-numbered vehicle of the pair carried the battery and the TCK was formed next to this car, with the second/standard-class seating next to the power car; then came the TSK, the end of which with the pair of lavatories was next to the other power car.

7105-7119 were usually to be found on Central section services, usually on Brighton-Victoria/London Bridge peak period services and Bognor/Littlehampton-London via Mid-Sussex line services; the rest were on South-East section. With the introduction of the later 4-CIGs, 7113-7119 eventually found their way to Ramsgate.

I've had a hell of a time trying to find pictures on-line of both sides of a Buffet car to see if I could make a 4BUF TRB from the Farish RMB - from the pictures I have found, look like lots of carving up will need to be done, more than I'm prepared to do. I doubt whether Farish will have the demand to produce a commercial version so looks like a scratch-build if I can't find a kit anywhere that is not an etched or whitemetal kit - my previous attempts on those have been particularly hideous.

Archived