Boiler bands

bogieman

Can anyone please tell me the prototype dimensions of your average boiler band, width and thickness. Or even better still the dimensions of ones on an M7 SR/LSWR 0-4-4T ?

I'm just about to turn the boiler of a 2mm M7 and would like to incorporate the bands to save adding them later.

Thanks

Guest Natalie Graham

According to LNWR Liveries the ones on the LNW were 2" wide. It doesn't give a thickness. According to Guy Williams' book Model Locomotive Construction in 4mm Scale the real thing is about 1/16" thick which he equates to .001" in 4mm scale.

What livery are you planning in painting the loco? If it is a lined livery I would leave the boiler bands until you come to paint it then you can make them out of thin adhesive tape or paper, such as the gummed bit of cigarette papers, and line them in the flat which is a lot easier than trying to get a fine line on a raised band round the boiler on a finished loco.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone please tell me the prototype dimensions of your average boiler band, width and thickness. Or even better still the dimensions of ones on an M7 SR/LSWR 0-4-4T ?

I'm just about to turn the boiler of a 2mm M7 and would like to incorporate the bands to save adding them later.

Thanks

If you are using tape or transfer film for the boiler bands it is useful to turn a very feint groove where the band has to go. That way you can line up the tape at 90 degrees to the boiler long axis. It's quite easy to end up with wonky boiler bands.

If you are turning the boiler bands then take care to make them very very thin: it's easy to make them over scale and getting a good finish on the cleading between the bands is not trivial. On balance, I prefer adding them with transfer film.

Tim

If you are using tape or transfer film for the boiler bands it is useful to turn a very feint groove where the band has to go. That way you can line up the tape at 90 degrees to the boiler long axis. It's quite easy to end up with wonky boiler bands.

If you are turning the boiler bands then take care to make them very very thin: it's easy to make them over scale and getting a good finish on the cleading between the bands is not trivial. On balance, I prefer adding them with transfer film.

Tim

When I discovered that the prototype is rarely more than a 1/10" to 1/8" perhaps with layers of paint I worked out that in 2mm scale that's about 6/10,000" and just about impossible with my skill level to work to. So you're right, just a simple turning job, smokebox diam and then down to cleading diam and along! Much easier than I thought.

• RMweb Gold

Jim Watt on the 2msa VAG advises that the painted the lining onto sellotape and was then able to lift the dry paint off the sellotape and fix just that round the boiler.

Don

Archived