2011 Diorama Challenge Voting now open

Andy Y

In accordance with the timetable set here the RMweb/Model Rail Challenge is now open for voting.

There are a fabulous 35 confirmed entries featuring some excellent and innovative dioramas some of which are certainly the best I've ever seen. Please do take the time to vote, it will take some of your time but I'm sure all participants will appreciate the time you take to do so.

Click here to go to the voting page - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/vote/index.php?sid=68929&lang=en

All 35 entries are listed on one page and you will be asked to score each entry on the basis of Visual Impact, Prototypical Interest and Originality. It is necessary to award a mark for each entry for each of the criteria before the page can be submitted.

The vote remains open until 3rd December.

I've just been to check the back-end to double-check it's logging the votes correctly (which it is) but I can't help but feel a bit angry when I see someone vote 1 for all entries bar two (which bucks the pattern of other votes so far) which receive all 5s or all 4s. Checking the IP address also indicates it's a close match to an entrants IP address.

At very least I'll probably void that vote but I find such actions completely against the ethos of such a competition or even the site.

• Like 5

Andy

how are the Model rail readers nowing about the vote as i can not see anything in the latest issue

& how can the voting be in No164 if the votes are still been taken till 3rd Dec when No 164 is out on the 1st

The Challenge is open until 1st October 2011 at which point a list of completed entries submitted by that date will be published on 3rd November and voting will run until 3rd December and voted for online by RMweb and Model Rail readers based on the following criteria:

• Visual impact

• Prototypical interest

• Originality

Results will be published in Model Rail 164 and on RMweb. A progress report will feature in Model Rail prior to the closing date highlighting entries.

Edited by mozzer models

Such an incredible level of skill! They are all very good, with about 6 or 7 that are truly exceptional! It is also really pleasing to see how individual members' modelling skills are progressing, particularly the newer/younger entrants - I can see a new wave of star modellers coming through!

Andy, I feel like I've missed out this year (distracted by building another layout!) and want a go now - how about starting the 2012 challenge earlier in the year (or even having 2?). There could be a Royal or Olympic theme given next year's events.

David

• RMweb Gold

I've voted this morning and have tried to be as objective as possible, reflecting the fact that people have clearly put a lot of effort into this, even if I'm not that keen on the subject matter. Well done to all those who took the trouble to enter.

If there's a category for most persistent offender entrant, there's no question as to who that should be ;) .

• Like 3

It is necessary to award a mark for each entry for each of the criteria before the page can be submitted.

I've just been to check the back-end to double-check it's logging the votes correctly (which it is) but I can't help but feel a bit angry when I see someone vote 1 for all entries bar two (which bucks the pattern of other votes so far) which receive all 5s or all 4s. Checking the IP address also indicates it's a close match to an entrants IP address.

If I understand this correctly, if I vote then I'll have to rate my own entry as well as all the others. Is this OK, so long as I don't take the mickey as somebnody seems to have done already?

• RMweb Premium

bah, should it not be the taking part that counts rather than the winning?

I felt that it was fantastic that so many people had entered and that the standard was so high.

• RMweb Gold

If I understand this correctly, if I vote then I'll have to rate my own entry as well as all the others. Is this OK, so long as I don't take the mickey as somebnody seems to have done already?

That was my question too - I can be objective about my own stuff, but would my votes be counted ?

• RMweb Gold

If there's a category for most persistent offender entrant, there's no question as to who that should be ;) .

We all had the same chance to build more than one, I just couldn't decide which one I should do...

• Like 1

Oh !!!@@!

ERROR

We are sorry but your session has expired.

Either you have been inactive for too long, you have cookies disabled for your browser, or there were problems with your connection.

Please contact Andy Y ( info@rmweb.co.uk ) for further assistance.

Does this mean I have to start over again!

It is difficult enough as it is with so many excellent entries. It is quite difficult to get a balance with some getting 5 and others 1 just to make sure that the best are differentiated.

Just spotted this

Caution: JavaScript execution is disabled in your browser. You may not be able to answer all questions in this survey. Please, verify your browser parameters.

So I guess I am excluded from voting anyway.

Yet there was no problem getting any of the votes to work.

That was my question too - I can be objective about my own stuff, but would my votes be counted ?

I have no problem with an entrant voting and scoring their own which in the wider scheme of things would be balanced out. I wanted to avoid the situation where any voter could leave part way through the process and whoever's was first on the list getting more votes (even though the end result is an averaged score for each criteria) so I'm happy to accept that an entrant will want to vote. The example quoted was just such a blatantly cynical and unfair approach to it.

• Like 2

Andy

how are the Model rail readers nowing about the vote as i can not see anything in the latest issue

& how can the voting be in No164 if the votes are still been taken till 3rd Dec when No 164 is out on the 1st

I will contact MR to see if they can facebook and twitter the voting. I went off the dates they had given but maybe it should have said MR165.

I'm guilty in not giving all of the reminders (in case they forgot which seems the case) about the dates to them that maybe I should have in hindsight.

Edit - I see Ben has re-tweeted the voting url.

Edited by Andy Y

Voted earlier - hopefully open minded and fair voting my end. All of the entrants deserve plaudits for the work put into their entries, but for me, there was only one perfect entry. Jaw dropped at the photographs and the mouth was open thereafter reading through its thread. It was, simply, a microcosm of real life.

So I guess I am excluded from voting anyway.

Yet there was no problem getting any of the votes to work.

Not necessarily. I've created a pdf that gives the run-down of the questions, you could always drop me a list of your marks and I'll manually add them to the process.

Challenge_vote.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Voted earlier - hopefully open minded and fair voting my end. All of the entrants deserve plaudits for the work put into their entries, but for me, there was only one perfect entry. Jaw dropped at the photographs and the mouth was open thereafter reading through its thread. It was, simply, a microcosm of real life.

Thanks, but it's not a real toilet..... :mosking:

• Like 3

Not necessarily. I've created a pdf that gives the run-down of the questions, you could always drop me a list of your marks and I'll manually add them to the process.

Challenge_vote.pdf

Thanks Andy. There seemed to be no problem with the page or placing votes on it. It just fell down when I tried to save the results half way.

I'll see if I can make the effort to copy the answers into an email and send that. Seems a lot of unnecessary effort when it should be just a simple form.

A glitch... when following the link on two of the entries (the second one was Stubby's 3rd entry) the link didn't open in a new window. So, I had to "go back" to the voting page and all my votes had been lost. I'll try again later; I've run out of time now. Most entries truly superb.

Edited by Jon020

• RMweb Gold

A glitch... when following the link on two of the entries (the second one was Stubby's 3rd entry) the link didn't open in a new window. So, I had to "go back" to the voting page and all my votes had been lost. I'll try again later; I've run out of time now. Most entries truly superb.

Instead of left-clicking the link, try right-clicking and 'Open in new Tab'.

HTH

Stu

Let me know which the other was and I'll see if I can edit that; my apologies - I thought I'd set them all. It was a PITA to set up, taking about 5 hours to construct a one page survey!

BTW - The dates on the shots for Wirral Transport Museum are due to a default date on the camera after a battery change.

• Like 1