Farish Class 20

HealeyMills

Just had another email (from the well known retailer in Liverpool) regarding the Farish weathered class 20, saying:  Didn't give you much more time to save did it Stu??? :no: CheersLee

Not really, no!!!

Don't know if the traders at Eastleigh show will have them for the weekend!!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Got my weathered blue one to today Could anyone explain if a pair are together would the Disk codes be folded on the inner ends

As previously stated, there seems to be evidence to support both instances:

Closed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038/8391367423/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidedwards/4375265919/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84777395@N08/8195251275/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcs-pics/6753831427/  (Oh - happy days!!!!)

Open

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/6858067798/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84777395@N08/8218278748/

I suppose it all depends upon whether the driver could be bothered or not

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

I managed to pick up a couple of the disc headcode class 20's today.  So here we are a few of Farishs' latest:

post-4186-0-05368500-1359742762_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-22926600-1359742765_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-88425600-1359742867_thumb.jpg

Very good runners indeed, but I think they went a little bananas with the brown gunk weathering :mosking:

Cheers

Lee

• Like 2

I must be getting old, just cant get head code disks into place, cant see the holes and then cant keep my hand still enough when I do. Nice model, looks great with the domino box one hauling coal hoppers round the layout.

Time to cull the older ones from the fleet I think.

I got my br blue class 20 this morning. (only ordered saturday afternoon). I have to say that it is an excellent model. I used to have an old poole one and this is a massive step forward. After reading the posts above, i am glad i didn't get the disc version. Removing the four screws to get the body off is bad enough. Running on dcc now. The only thing is that the red lights are seriously bright.

• RMweb Premium

Dosent the cab unclip on the domino box one then, the cab came off by accident on my disc one?

Hi

It did on my domino one and I found it easier to insert the decoder that way instead of struggling with getting the whole body off.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...

Has anyone managed to fit sound to one of these? I know Mr Bachmann at the N gauge show said he'd left room under the fan for a sugar cube speaker. However Paul TPXGuard suggested to me that Mr Bachmann hadn't done so!

Edited by bigdaveadams1

• 2 months later...

Hi,I have had my class 20 for 9 months now and have been fitting dcc sound into my n gauge fleet gradually since the beginning of this year.Currently I have fitted Zimo MX648 sound decoders in my Farish class 24,37 and class 50 and have fitted Loksound v4micro's in my Farish class 40 and 47.

My preference is to use the Zimo's as opposed to the Loksounds but with Legomanbiffo's sound files being so good,they're very hard to resist.Having said all that,Paul Chetter's latest Digidrive sound projects are incredibly good to drive so once his latest class 20 sound project is on the market I'll be very close to the front of the queue for one of these.

Having had the body off to have a look at sound fitting viability,I would say that the speaker will most definately need to go in the cab as the chassis top doesn't look like there is space to fit it on top there.Likewise the fuel tanks,these look way too small.My preferred way of fitting sound to n gauge is to remove the pcb and hardwire the decoder and rewire the lights,adding resistors as required although on these,the bonnet lights are on a contact strip from the pcb so this needs to be worked around to get an ideal solution.

Having done a Farish class 24 already,mine having the speaker in the tanks,I must say that this was a tight fitting installation so unless someine chooses to fit a CT Electronik CT SL76 plug in sound decoder,I expect that removal of the pcb is the only way to go,in my opinion of course.

Pete

Hi

Just a quick bump for a new product from Shawplan that I think makes a big difference to the loco. The etches are extremely fine and prototypically correct.... on the Farish model the top part should actually be under the grill and not on top.

post-3594-0-98021800-1372621976.jpg

Takes around 3-4 hours to complete but well worth the effort for such a prominent feature.
post-3594-0-59811700-1372621987.jpg

M

• Like 5

Thanks Pete,

I've been using John Guymer's sounds from You Choos with a CT SL76 in a 37, 46 and a 24 so far. The decoder isn't the issue though. I agree the cab is the best place for the speaker but I've been tempted to go the easy route and strip one loco to run as a dummy with the speaker in the void left by the motor.  A speaker in each cab would be best (and really loud) but it would take some work to get a sugar cube in there so I was really interested to see if someone had managed it.  2 micro cubes might do it but the quality might not be that good.

Peter

• 4 months later...

Peter

I have used the sl76 with john's sounds a one micro cube speaker wedged into the cab roof.

The sound is amazing for such a small speaker. Have tried the larger cube but the difference in sound quality didn't add up to enough gain to completely trash the cab space and then see the speaker through the glazing.

Looking at doing some more this way soon....

• 11 months later...

They look seriously tasty.

Got a headcode box variant today and was somewhat surprised to see that the surface of the "walkway" areas along the side of the loco is painted black rather than BR Blue.

Looking at images of the disc version they are blue. Can anyone shed any light on whether 20192 had some kind of non standard paint job as I do not recall them being painted black back in the day.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't think the prototypes' walkways were painted with any sort of paint which would make them slippery for maintenance staff, so probably never blue. Anyway, a coat of dust covered this area very quickly so brown is the most accurate colour!

I have seen all combinations of blue and black solebars, and blue and black walkways on prototypes. The walkways would have to be painted so protect them from rust, but it would have been sensible to use 'non-slip' paint be that blue or black.

They were always painted, be it blue, as I recall, or black, although I do not recall seeing any so treated, and in no apparent change of paint type ie anti slip either, standard banger blue.

I use the term "walkways" loosely and refer to the area above the solebar forward of the cabs at the base of the numerous bodyside doors, where staff often stood/walked to gain access to the aforementioned doors. 

I only guess these areas were used as walkways seeing as there is a handrail running along the nose at head height. 

The disc version has the same areas painted blue, albeit weathered.

I agree with Mataiau's post however, dirt would be an appropriate colour.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I 've just posted a big thank you to Bachmann  (on the Model Shop Guide thread) for supplying me with a spare buffer to replace the missing one on my D8000. I did have horrible thoughts of having to get a replacement body from somewhere!