Farish Class 20

HealeyMills

I'm not quite sure what it was doing there, but here's the green version fresh off the plane from Taiwan. Very nice model and certainly head and shoulders above the model replaces - I'd say the weakest spot is the plastic nose side ladder and the fan grill on the roof. It's see through but a little chunky.... I'm sure some nice etches can worth that out!

143d0ad033b1f6865a58ce3bf5d12fa9.jpg

• Like 2

Has the chance to give mine a run last night - by far and away the smoothest and most sure-footed Farish loco I've got. I'm not sure what the tweak they've made is (Lower gearing? Larger motor?) but it certainly feels a lot nicer. Couple of tweaks can be made - I think the buffers could do with some turned brass ones and theres a cut out in each bufferbeam to allow for the Rapido couplings, easily sorted with an insert and filler. Lights are a little bright but this seems to be an issue with a lot of locos in all scales, perhaps driven by the market rather than prototype? Easily sorted anyway!

Pix

Hi, I have attached a video of the class 20 in all over green livery. The video also includes clips showing the previous Farish version of the class 20 alongside the new one. It is completely retooled and a very smooth runner. The most noticeable differences are the roof grill, bogies, working lights and the grills on body sides.

Stunning!! I was only going to get the domino headcode 20 but after seeing the disc headcode version......i will have to get the two BR Blue ones!!!! Still think it would be a worthwhile venture for someone like the NGS in conjunction with Farish to produce a dummy loco so you can run them in pairs!!??? Brilliant model- well done Farish/Bachmann!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mr Deediesel,

In the past when we have asked about the possibility of dummy locos we have always been told that Farish are not interested.

However, next week's N Gauge show at Leamington would give most modellers an opportunity to discuss this with Farish's representatives for themselves. Maybe if enough people echo the request...?

cheers

Ben A.

NGS Vice President

• Like 1

Another option would be to pick up an old Farish 20 on an Ian Stoate chassis and detail with a TPM detailing pack; the cab windows need a bit of work but the end result looks much better than normal and should look fine with a new 20 heading the train.

I'm looking forward to finding out if that's the case as I haven't got my new 20 yet!

Thanks Ben for the prompt and courteous response.As i live hundred of miles away i can but hope that some other like minded Diesel N gaugers at the show can encourage Bachmann/Farish to at least consider this option as the body work on these new versions is brilliant compared to the Poole version.Heres hoping that other N gaugers agree and mention it.

regards.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben for the prompt and courteous response.As i live hundred of miles away i can but hope that some other like minded Diesel N gaugers at the show can encourage Bachmann/Farish to at least consider this option as the body work on these new versions is brilliant compared to the Poole version.Heres hoping that other N gaugers agree and mention it.

regards.

No problem,

I didn't review the Class 20, so haven't had one in my hands yet to examine, but if it follows current "best practice" with electrical pick ups in the axle cups then the model should run smoothly if the motor is simply removed.

In the past the Farish argument is that it is not cost effective to produce dummy models because the cost of creating a new process to manufacture them, and retooling bogies etc to accept undriven but free-rolling axles.

However, I would have thought that a pair of Class 20s - identical except one does not have the motor - in a box for, say, 150% of the cost of a single unpowered model, might be an attractive proposition.

cheers

Ben A.

No problem,

I didn't review the Class 20, so haven't had one in my hands yet to examine, but if it follows current "best practice" with electrical pick ups in the axle cups then the model should run smoothly if the motor is simply removed.

In the past the Farish argument is that it is not cost effective to produce dummy models because the cost of creating a new process to manufacture them, and retooling bogies etc to accept undriven but free-rolling axles.

However, I would have thought that a pair of Class 20s - identical except one does not have the motor - in a box for, say, 150% of the cost of a single unpowered model, might be an attractive proposition.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi All;

I'm sure we all know the Bachmann stance on dummy models by now....and I suppose there is a fine line in economics between making a lesser priced (unpowered) model available rather than another fuly powered guaranteed sale....The Class 20s are a bit of an enigma in this as they virtually always ran in pairs (Scottish branches/pilots etc excepted).

If Dapol can make an economic argument for a powered/dummy pair (eg NR 86), then I'm sure Bachmann can....after all they do it with their HST power cars!!! Notwithstanding that, the supply of DMUs should prove that the one powered/one unpowered is technically and ultimately feasible and the production line argument is frankly 'pants'!!!

I won't be at Lemmers...but I urge all 20 fans to lobby Colin/Graham as vocally as possible...

Later;

STU in KOQU

• Like 1

I will second that! As Stu says.... the 20's mostly ran in pairs so it would be great if N gaugers could influence Farish into producing a non powered partner.

Is there maybe a need to be lobbying a specific livery when approaching Bachamnn?

For sure in BR blue and even beyond they were pretty common in pairs, but from what I can glean from my books at least, in early days somewhat less so.

I think the idea of a non-powered 20 is a good one. The reason I say this is because if everyone just says they think an unpowered 20 would be a good idea, it may not be considered. If, however they say they think a post TOPS 20 in Corporate Blue would be a good idea because...

...then just maybe...Bachmann can be persuaded.

I like Ben's idea of sale in pairs like Dapol and with this in mind a run of 504 weathered pairs of blue ones may just be the ticket and worth the risk.

Just my thoughts.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi All just to add the 20 bogies based around exsisting farish practice with wheel back pickups to a dummy would not be as freewheeling as a Dapol sort. Loco runs a treat . Bound to happen as I have just finished refurbishing a pile of old 20 chassis and sorting dummies ! I can see a load of repaints - DRS / etc and just around the corner a GBrF version...

Robert