What if you 'reset' a sound chip?

Guest baldrick25

Guest baldrick25

Sorry I don't have any sound chips or any experience of them, except for some friends that were already set up. I quite regularly reset no-sound chips with CV8 - but what happens if it is a sound chip? Do you lose the sound files , or are they protected in some way. In that case , how do you reset fully a sound chip to remove the sound files, so they can be re-blown?

Sorry if this is all a bit basic to those with experience, but better to ask for the pitfalls , rather than after finding them!

You do not need to reset to clear sounds from a decoder before re-blow, part of the re-programming process is to wipe all the existing content from the decoder's memory.

Normally, re-sets via CV8 should only be considered as a last resort not a routine task. This is especially true of sound decoders. Although they are designed to retain all of the sound samples, this is not guaranteed. Most likely scenario if things go wrong is that the the sounds will still be on the decoder, but not accessible, or available on different F keys.

I cannot comment re ESU, but with Zimo there are two 'hard re-set' options. CV8 = 8 returns the decoder to factory CVs, while CV8 =0 resets to the CVs set by the last programmed sound project. Normally, this will restore your decoder to the way the programme author intended it to operate. (eg, many of my projects have special function mapping, using non- factory CV settings. If you reset these using CV = 8 it is unlikely that it will function correctly).

Paul

Edited 2nd para to make more sense.

With ESU LokSound decoders, a reset will not lose the sound files but may alter the way they operate. Most of the later releases from the major suppliers of UK sound are able to be reset without losing the sound settings but earlier ones may behave differently if reset. I repeat, though, they won't lose the sounds; these will remain in the chip's memory slots.

ESU Lokprogrammer software has long since contained the ability to reset to the project values. I assume that V4 has the same ability. If you reset such a chip using CV8=8 it will reset to the project values, not the factory default.

It is practically impossible to wipe the sounds from a sound chip by changing CV's but is very easy to 'lose' the sounds by changing CV's.

In general terms it is extremely unwise to change CV's on a sound chip unless you have a full list of all the CV's before changing anything so that you can manually reset all the changes you have made. Resets using CV8 are potentially fraught unless you know the provenance of the chip and the loaded project.

Obviously, if you are just changing the address then this is fine but even changing the speed curve will affect the way the sounds are played in a lot of cases.

Guest baldrick25

Thanks for the replies- I can see many potential 'disasters' may have been just been avoided. One supplier I was looking at is SouthWest Digital, is there any advice there from someone who has used them?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived