Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

Craig - when you say 3 pairs of long points are we talking about 3 points? or 6 points?, and then total number of short points? - What we also need to know how many of each variety are left hand? and how many are right hand? Again with the curved ones? Short box cars and others 36'-40' pre-suposes either steam era or fairly early diesels - later cars of around 50' are again mainly early and slightly later diesel era and the much longer cars are more modern - tjis is a very simplified breakdown. If something can be designed around the points (turnouts) that you already have so much the better, but we actually need to know which direction they turn.

Edited by shortliner

I have 1 asymmetric 3 way turnout .. 3 long right hand turnouts 3 long left hand turnouts .. 3 short left hand turnouts 3 short right hand turnouts 1 double slip and 1 short Y turnout ..I thought I had curved turnouts I guess i never purchased them, sorry for the confusion

Edited by craig

Craig - a trackplan for your space - it also has a Budd RDC (Diesel rail car) passenger service that runs in hourly, at which point the other vehicles must be out of the way - just to make switching a little more difficult! - use a kitchen timer and set it for whatever you consider a "scale hour". It is drawn for 40' cars and a 44 -Tonner but any small loco like an SW7/1200 could be used. The first diagram shows the track plan and the second shows it "populated"

I have used switches (points) that you have available. Working left to right I've used Double slip/Long RH/Long LH/short Y/long LH/Long LH.No extra sidings are needed as the "staging" is hidden behind Packaging Inc, unless you wanted to add a short LH point and an extra siding in there for the RDC, to save having to remove it each time it runs!

post-6688-0-55742400-1330527821_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-66906700-1330527839_thumb.jpg

The trackplan is based on an O Gauge one in ammo boxes, by an Australian Gent that appeared in SMT many years ago. On his the two tracks bottom right were a car-float

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Another trackplan, that would work well in your space, is "Arendtown" being built by Fabrice Ffayolle as a tribute to Carl on the French "TEAMTRACK" forum http://teamtrack.xooit.com/t873-Arendtown.htm It is O Gauge, so will reduce to your space if built in HO. The trackplan is here Http://img71.xooimage.com/files/8/6/e/upalocalyard-2da6b2d.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Craig, I really don't want this area cluttered up with non-layout track plan questions. Try www.walthers.com and have a browse through their Structures area. Thanks.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Another trackplan, that would work well in your space, is "Arendtown" being built by Fabrice Ffayolle as a tribute to Carl on the French "TEAMTRACK" forum http://teamtrack.xoo...3-Arendtown.htm It is O Gauge, so will reduce to your space if built in HO. The trackplan is here Http://img71.xooimag...ard-2da6b2d.jpg

Hi

I started to place turnouts on a base board last night based on your trackplan and I discovered some extra turnouts Left radius turnout and right radius turnout and a long crossing. Not sure if they help any with the panning, I am using 8" boxcars I thought they were smaller, I,ve not purchased a loco I want one with sound to add some interest to the shunting operation. I am looking for one smaller then 12" but I cant see any on the the net thus far. I am sorry to trouble you again ..

Cheers Craig

Craig - if you fancy using diamonds on a switching layout, try this

post-6688-0-92941800-1330850910_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-14444900-1330850942.jpg

post-6688-0-72036500-1330850978.jpg

For your space I'd suggest lengthening leftwards 18", and adding a road crossing with a small factory at far left

For locos a small 4 axle diesel - something like an SW9/1200 or SW1500, or any of the smaller GP locos, most of which are around 7½" / 8" long - there are plenty about in that sort of range, used with 40' or 50' cars - note that a 40' car is about 6" long and a 50' car about 7¼"

I know of one guy on the Big Blue forum who is building a modified version of Ness Street and having a lot of fun

It will keep you very busy

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Some interesting plans on your site Stein, I like the 41/2'x18" plans. Keep them coming.

Thank you. Some more small(ish) switching track plans from my photobucket account:

"Dunnville Textile Mill" - SW7 switcher, 40 foot cars

dunnville01.jpg

"Hialeah distribution"

hialeah-blue-linx.jpg

"Wyatt Earp Boulevard, version 3"

wyatt_05.jpg

"Container terminal, Bergen, Norway"

yngve02.jpg

If anyone see any plans or plan fragments they like, feel free to copy, fold, spindle or mutilitate to your heart's desire :-)

Smile,

Stein

Edited by steinjr
  • Like 3

Your plans are excellent, Stein.

64th Street looks just what I've been looking for in my next project. And for once I have actually more space than the plan which is 7ft long, - I have 9ft!

Thanks,

Mal

Which one is 64th Street?

Stein, please put more plans actually on here (but it would be useful to name them)!

Cheers and thanks for contributing, Pete.

Sorry - have gone back and added names to the ones I posted, so it is easier to refer to them.

Here is the 64th street layout plan (on bottom), with a second variant (on top) where I flipped the crossover to create another rail served industry at lower right, and create a longer runaround. Inspired based on Dave Howell's excellent 4 foot long "63rd street yard" from MTI (shown here on Adrian Wymann's small shunting layouts web page):

"64th street":

64th-street-02.jpg

"Federal Overpass"

federal-overpass04.jpg

"Shiner, TX":

shiner_8foot.jpg

"Shamrock Avenue, Fort Worth, TX":

shamrock01.jpg

"Arjay corner" - heavily inspired by a track plan posted by Robert J Beaty (Arjay1969) on the Model Railroader Magazine web site:

arjay1969.jpg

"Hartland, WI"

hartland02.jpg

"Old Granddad Whisky Destillery, Frankfort, KY" - based on a sketch by Ed Vasser from The Gauge (http://www.the-gauge.net/)

grandad.jpg

Hope I haven't spammed the forum too badly.

All plans are based on Peco code 70, mostly with medium turnouts, H0 scale, mostly 40-foot cars (except for the Bergen example) and small switchers.

I'll add one more - I looked at RS Tower blog and saw an image of Neil Roger's Freemo module Oakdale. Using more or less the same track plan, but changing the main industry along the back to an elevator:

oakdale.jpg

Umm - actually the crossover to the elevator switching lead probably ought to have been six inches further left on the track plan I drew (if one don't mind crossovers at the 4-foot section break), so you can move a cut of three cars at a time in or out. Oh well - just a quickly dashed off sketch.

Smile,

Stein

Edited by steinjr
  • Like 3

Not my own work, but I really like this plan by Dan Bourque of http://appalachianra....com/index.html

Haysi RR

This would fit in my loft space, in fact I could lengthen the two long sides slightly (I can fit a 14ft long roundy round). I don't know much about Appalachian coal railroads, but Tony Koester's Coal Branch series of articles was one of my original reasons for getting into US railroading.

I keep returning to this plan. Could I do it present day? What power would CSX run if the Branch still exists? Or if it was NS, what would they use? Or could I come up with a shortline, Corman style?

Of course, I could go prototypical and try and get hold of the various Athearn SDs in Clinchfield livery - and if not, the black has to be one of the easiest to repaint to!

I know Modelmaker 87 has an interest in coal ops - are there any others out there who do. If so, and to keep Pete happy, I'll start a new thread on Black Diamonds!

(Edit: I might also be able to turn the dummy Clinchfield main into a curve into staging.)

Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Like 1

seen a layout that fits my given area. I added a double slip to give it a run around but I'm not sure it I have lost the desired look of the layout. Ill post both please comments are most welcome.. Layout size is 8'x 18"

post-8029-0-84244300-1331486051_thumb.jpg

post-8029-0-74359000-1331486054_thumb.jpg

Cheers Craig

Edited by craig