Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

• RMweb Gold

The town of Katy, not far outside Houston, Tx, has a cement facility served by UP. This is a scale Anyrail drawing overlaid on top of a satellite image.

The three sidings inside the loop at the bottom seemed to be employed unloading sand hoppers. Cement hoppers are unloaded at the top sidings.

There is a set of sidings off to the right, where the switch is at the bottom right, just before the loop curves around. When I was there it stored empty sand and cement hoppers.

N Gauge, as is my want:

post-19592-0-69681600-1527148467_thumb.jpg

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 5

Actually I spotted a real reversing loop near Hoboken, NJ which I believe had been built by Conrail a few decades back. So, they do exist.

Best, Pete.

Miami Amtrak station is one where you'd get laughed out of the exhibition hall if you built it - the station is inside the reversing loop.

Actually I spotted a real reversing loop near Hoboken, NJ which I believe had been built by Conrail a few decades back. So, they do exist.

Best, Pete.

Danbury, CT.

https://goo.gl/maps/fpwZ61Y8Pn12

There's a reversing loop, TWO stations ("vintage" and "working" for Metro North trains to NYC), a turntable inside the reversing loop, storage tracks for Metro North trains, and a railroad museum...  A whole bunch of "not prototype" stuff packed into an area you could model on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.  

• Like 2

The town of Katy, not far outside Houston, Tx, has a cement facility served by UP. This is a scale Anyrail drawing overlaid on top of a satellite image.

The three sidings inside the loop at the bottom seemed to be employed unloading sand hoppers. Cement hoppers are unloaded at the top sidings.

There is a set of sidings off to the right, where the switch is at the bottom right, just before the loop curves around. When I was there it stored empty sand and cement hoppers.

N Gauge, as is my want:

Now THAT would make an interesting model.

I'd actually be tempted to drop the none-scenic staging and employ a bolt on fiddle yard board that comes off the bottom corner immediately after the scenic section ends - kind of like Model Railroader did with their Virginian project and the car float on their recent Harbour Belt project layout.

That way you could make it into an exhibition layout that could be viewed from all sides :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks to a blog post the CPR station at Kingston Ontario came to my attention.  Appears the station and freight shed could be modelled to scale in just over 6' of space - measuring on Google Maps leads to a distance of 525' from Clarence Street to Brock Street.

While the line was abandoned in 1961 the station still remains and the main backdrop buildings are still in place.

Further, the track between the CP lines and the water was actually CN, used to reach the CLC plant just down the road (and a small station?) allowing for justification for equipment that otherwise might have been out of place to run past.

Couple of pictures of the CP facilities can be found towards the bottom of the blog post I saw at http://tracksidetreasure.blogspot.com/2013/01/cns-hanley-spur-from-air.html

Edit-

The City of Kingston has the 1924 fire insurance maps and several years of air photos for viewing on their website https://www.cityofkingston.ca/explore/maps/historical

Edited by mdvle

• 2 weeks later...

Another smallish prototype.  Goderich Ontario CPR.

Track layout can be found in this scan of an old newsletter/magazine http://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadian%20Rail_no409_1989.pdf

page 23 of the PDF.

Photos and a bit of history can be found here http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_London/history_G_and_G.htm

Some rough measurements from the layout gives a 70' turntable.  HO sizes gives estimates of 124" from the coal shed to exit of trackage on the bottom right (or just over 10').  The radius of the curve to get to the top area is 39"

Another smallish prototype.  Goderich Ontario CPR.

Track layout can be found in this scan of an old newsletter/magazine http://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadian%20Rail_no409_1989.pdf

page 23 of the PDF.

Photos and a bit of history can be found here http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_London/history_G_and_G.htm

Some rough measurements from the layout gives a 70' turntable.  HO sizes gives estimates of 124" from the coal shed to exit of trackage on the bottom right (or just over 10').  The radius of the curve to get to the top area is 39"

Grand Trunk Map 1913 - http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&rec_nbr=4134720&lang=eng&rec_nbr_list=3825148,4134720,3672733,3825178,4129205,3672724,3672723,4134676,4134677,4136006

Stephen

From Facebook, a 3 track Plastics company.  Frankfort Plastics in Jett, Ky which apparently makes a specialty plastic pellet by blending various types of plastic.

Outside tracks with sheds are for loading the outbound product while the centre track along with part of the north track are used to unload pellets.

To avoid cross contamination the loaded inbound hoppers always leave empty, with clean empties used for loading the finished product.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/290+Chenault+Rd,+Frankfort,+KY+40601,+USA/@38.1761484,-84.807973,213m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x884272e5d2f3c7d3:0x5e5e591a4245f264!8m2!3d38.1751724!4d-84.8070901

• Like 2

From Facebook, a 3 track Plastics company.  Frankfort Plastics in Jett, Ky which apparently makes a specialty plastic pellet by blending various types of plastic.

Outside tracks with sheds are for loading the outbound product while the centre track along with part of the north track are used to unload pellets.

To avoid cross contamination the loaded inbound hoppers always leave empty, with clean empties used for loading the finished product.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/290+Chenault+Rd,+Frankfort,+KY+40601,+USA/@38.1761484,-84.807973,213m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x884272e5d2f3c7d3:0x5e5e591a4245f264!8m2!3d38.1751724!4d-84.8070901

Living just about 2 miles from this facility (Washington-Penn Plastics) I can tell that they don't ship out anything by rail. All the covered hoppers contain different grades of plastic pellets used to produce the plastic parts, which are shipped out via truck. This facility was constructed in the 1970s and was originally General Electric Plastics; producing the plastic liners for GE Refrigerators manufactured in Louisville, KY. There was only a single spur there at that time. Later it became Frankfort Plastics - still supplying the plastic liners for GE Refrigerators and some other manufacturers. Not sure when Washington Penn took over the facility, but the additional spurs were added at that time.

Still makes for some interesting switching as specific cars must be placed where W-P wants them, empties pulled, and cars re-spotted. The line serving this facility is operated by R J Corman and was the former L&N/CSX line between Louisville, KY (HK Tower) and Winchester, KY. Incidentally, I worked for the L&N in the 1970s and the last railroad job I had in 2008 was with R J Corman.

Edited by LNRR

Living just about 2 miles from this facility (Washington-Penn Plastics) I can tell that they don't ship out anything by rail.

I can't say one way or another, I just posted the information that was posted on the Facebook group as it looked like a nice small (well, at least the rail portion) industry that people might be interested in.

If anyone is further interested the Facebook group is "Rail Served Industry Model Railroading and Operations"

I can't say one way or another, I just posted the information that was posted on the Facebook group as it looked like a nice small (well, at least the rail portion) industry that people might be interested in.

If anyone is further interested the Facebook group is "Rail Served Industry Model Railroading and Operations"

No problem just correcting some information. Not familiar with that particular Facebook group, but I've noticed on a lot of model railroad web sites that people often "imagine" what the inbound/outbound traffic is at a particular location. As model railroaders, we can certainly use "modelers license" and have the traffic we want at our industries.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for some help - some time ago I posted a small layout with a pinkish, foggy, early sunrise/late sunset sky - the back-scene was done by spraying multiple layers of grey, over-sprayed with white from rattle cans - in a similar manner to Barry Tens "Cogirep". I need to reference something - and can't find it - part of the problem being that I probably gave it a suitable name and can't remember it! - If somebody can point me to where it is hiding, I'd be grateful - thanks for any help.

I'm looking for some help - some time ago I posted a small layout with a pinkish, foggy, early sunrise/late sunset sky - the back-scene was done by spraying multiple layers of grey, over-sprayed with white from rattle cans - in a similar manner to Barry Tens "Cogirep". I need to reference something - and can't find it - part of the problem being that I probably gave it a suitable name and can't remember it! - If somebody can point me to where it is hiding, I'd be grateful - thanks for any help.

I remember this Jack.. but not sure if I saw it on RMWeb.. could it be on the MTI pages?

Mog - many thanks - No wonder I couldn't find it - but unfortunately it looks as though Imageshack has taken all the photos down - so I'll just have to do some experimenting when it warms up! It was called Fiddlestick Yard!

EDit - now I know the name I have found it - hiding in the "RMweb archive" and also on the" RRline forum" - with the help of Google - many thanks, I shall go and peruse!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Jack, try this link.

Geoff

Fiddlestick Yard, 'Sin City, USA

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/02/2019 at 15:26, Norton961 said:

Fascinating thread but I would like to see more ideas on FREMO modules. I want to build a module but would like some ideas!

Don't know how on topic a discussion would be for this thread, but the problem with your request is that Free-mo is so flexible / open that almost anything already posted here could be done as a Free-mo module...  (at it's most basic all a Free-mo module needs is 1 end that meets the standard to allow another Free-mo module to connect).

So if you want help/ideas you are going to need to be more specific as to what you want.

• 2 weeks later...