Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

• 1 month later...

Evening,

This is an 'outline' plan of my new Chicago area n-gauge layout which is soon to start taking shape.

post-1466-0-71203400-1345992084_thumb.jpg

It's only going to be 8' x 1' but will give potential to run the new Kato METRA sets, along with plenty of switching in the adjacent CSX/IHB yard.

A couple of spots for box / tank cars should keep my busy!

This isn't the final plan, as the lines now curve off to the left into the storage sidings.

post-1466-0-71203400-1345992084_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to track down a track plan by Giles Barnabe. The dimensions were about 7 feet by 1.5 feet and it was a switching layout in H0. The reason I'm asking is that a member of the model railway club I used to belong to actually built a layout from the design and this worked really well. I have already checked through SMT and MTI without a result. Thank you.

I am temped to work on some of the designs posted here too.

Edited by multivac

If anyone wants them I have the following books (soft cover) for free, all I ask is you pay the postage via PAYPAL.

1 x 6 HO Railroads you can build.

1x HO Trackside structures you can build.

2 x Track Planning for realistic operation.

1 x Small Railroads you can build.

Please only one each

David

e-mail Yorkshiredale@cableone.net

A Yorkshireman in the USA

Edited by Matador

I've been trying to track down a track plan by Giles Barnabe. The dimensions were about 7 feet by 1.5 feet and it was a switching layout in H0. The reason I'm asking is that a member of the model railway club I used to belong to actually built a layout from the design and this worked really well. I have already checked through SMT and MTI without a result. Thank you.

I am temped to work on some of the designs posted here too.

I have forwarded this to Giles - awaiting a reply

Giles has sent me this - hope it helps

Hi Jack,

That could be quite a list, given that his description is lacking the original plan’s prototype or name. Anyway I’ll assume he’s gone back all the way with all Chris’s publications so I’ll ignore ST, SMT and MTI, which leaves us with the following possibilities (I’ve omitted the round-the-walls plans and roundy-roundies):-

Good matches

South Street Yard HO American CM Mar/Ap 1986

Peronne yard (from Along French Byways) HO French light industrial CM Dec 1993

New Plymouth HO American CM Aug 2003

Possibles?

Southery HO British MTI no. 8 1997 and CM - but smaller than stated

Romorantin HOm French n.g. European Rlys Jan/Feb 2005

Unlikely but ???

Kinmel Quarry OO Welsh mineral line RM May 2003

Untitled layout 1:35 scale French n.g. European Rlys Oct/Nov 2005

Uphill Work HO based on French rack line in Lyons European Rls 177 Winter 2007 pt 2 ER 178 Summer 2008

Terrier Backwaters OO RM Feb 2007

Too recent

Boulazac EP French Ind. Estate HO and N CM Feb 2012

Hope he can find a back number if he recognises the right one. All my records are in store and unlikely to surface before next January/Feb at the earliest.

ATB

Giles

Edited by shortliner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Evening,

This is an 'outline' plan of my new Chicago area n-gauge layout which is soon to start taking shape.

It's only going to be 8' x 1' but will give potential to run the new Kato METRA sets, along with plenty of switching in the adjacent CSX/IHB yard.

A couple of spots for box / tank cars should keep my busy!

This isn't the final plan, as the lines now curve off to the left into the storage sidings.

Dear Ian,

So does this mean we're going to see a SW1500 + PB1 set in N scale?

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning a shelf layout, in HO scale that will be chest high around 3 walls which are 11x9x6 with the benchwork coming out from the wall 18-22 inches. The shelf will be in my office and chest high gets it above my office desk and pc, etc. Any help on construction techniques for the frame work would be appriecated along with suggestions for actual track plans. It will be point to point with the main thrust towards switching industries. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Over Christmas I had to do a lot of sitting around holding a sleeping baby so I drew a trackplan to the UK Freemo specs.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6757517081_7c51773220_o.pngIt is based on Lawrence MA, but with the new station to the east of the original station cut off and one of the spurs converted to a siding (which I think it had been years ago)Contrary to most plans here, its not about the industries, there is only one, B & D Advanced Warehousing, who actually have a pic of a boxcar in their warehouse on their website! The two links off the mainline are in reality short spurs to single industries, but are the remains of lines to other towns, however Freemo allows themto go whereever you want!The station platform is accessed by a subway from the road underbridge, it is served by MBTA trains and the Downeaster also passes through.I got bored before I added all the buildings, hence the bare areas at the southern end.I don't see myself building this, but I think its an interesting counterpoint to most US designed US layouts and UK designed US layouts.

Hi Tim, I've been admiring your plan of Lawrence and Guilford's trackage. I actually live near the east end of your module in Bradford which is part of Haverhill.

Can I ask what software you used to design your layout plan?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Its AnyRail. I managed to do the whole layout in the free demo mode, by chance really, I think I used all available parts! I really like the way the flexi track is handled, and the ability to do parallel tracks of good. Text was placed on the exported image in Photoshop but allt he graphics were done in AnyRail.

BTW, here's some pics of Lawrence Station being built

• 3 months later...

Over Christmas I had to do a lot of sitting around holding a sleeping baby so I drew a trackplan to the UK Freemo specs.

6757517081_7c51773220_o.png

It is based on Lawrence MA, but with the new station to the east of the original station cut off and one of the spurs converted to a siding (which I think it had been years ago)

Contrary to most plans here, its not about the industries, there is only one, B & D Advanced Warehousing, who actually have a pic of a boxcar in their warehouse on their website!

The two links off the mainline are in reality short spurs to single industries, but are the remains of lines to other towns, however Freemo allows themto go whereever you want!

The station platform is accessed by a subway from the road underbridge, it is served by MBTA trains and the Downeaster also passes through.

I got bored before I added all the buildings, hence the bare areas at the southern end.

I don't see myself building this, but I think its an interesting counterpoint to most US designed US layouts and UK designed US layouts.

I like it!  Having grown up about 10 miles from there, I've spent a lot of time in railfanning there.  You've captured it well, IMHO.

There are some photos of Lawrence in the 80's in my flickr photostream:  

And a nice extension would be to model the bridge over the Merrimack river on the branch to Manchester.  Interesting bridge, a waterfall just to the west, and Lawton's hot dogs looking like its going to fall into the water...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. The more I research it the more I realise that it was more interesting place in the past, eg go back to when the Manchester and Lawrence and the Lowell and Lawrence were still open and you have two junctions, one with a proper wye, another yard, two more stations and all the industrial trackage around the mills and cutting across the canal.

However watching some of the vids recently uploaded to YouTube I notice that there is another spur I could add to this track plan, although I'm not yet sure what it served.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the description of the Staging Yard for Plan#2 :- "Some sorta slidey rack thing".... we call them Traversers in the UK ;)

My own favourite plan under consideration at the moment... a good ol' Inglenook. Gentlemen I give you Randolph, MN on the Progressive Rail's lines (ex-CNW main line).

Okay so the yard carries on for quite a way north-east, and has turnouts at the far end that make some of the spurs actually sidings (or sidings into loops in UK parlance), but at the yard entrance it's a classic two-turnouts/three spurs Inglenook.... :)

Hi I live 20 minutes from randolph and was there for a train show a few weeks ago. if there is any info you need maybe I can help

Dick

Some of you will have seen the Heart of Georgia layout. Here's a version in N using Atlas code 55 track on the same sized baseboards. Instead of #6 turnouts on the main lines and #4 on sidings on the original, this version has #10 on the main line and #7 on sidings. While it's tempting to cram in more track, personally I'd take advantage of the smaller scale to run longer trains and have more variety of scenery (especially an urban scene). As it's designed as a better beginner's layout, everything shown is available off the shelf.

post-6959-0-26813000-1367899668_thumb.png

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

Some of you will have seen the Heart of Georgia layout. Here's a version in N using Atlas code 55 track on the same sized baseboards. Instead of #6 turnouts on the main lines and #4 on sidings on the original, this version has #10 on the main line and #7 on sidings. While it's tempting to cram in more track, personally I'd take advantage of the smaller scale to run longer trains and have more variety of scenery (especially an urban scene). As it's designed as a better beginner's layout, everything shown is available off the shelf.

attachicon.gifHOGRR N Atlas 55.png

Cheers

David

This is a plan that plays to N's strengths!  It even has the potential to grow - it would make a nice layout for a more advanced modeler that is looking for casual operation and "flange therapy" if you double decked it with a lower staging loop.

• Like 1

This is a plan that plays to N's strengths!  It even has the potential to grow - it would make a nice layout for a more advanced modeler that is looking for casual operation and "flange therapy" if you double decked it with a lower staging loop.

The HOG is designed as a beginner's layout, but you're right that a more advanced modeller could add staging. I might work on that..... :)

Cheers

David

• Like 2