Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

mog, on 26 Mar 2016 - 15:41, said:mog, on 26 Mar 2016 - 15:41, said:

Had another play with the plan, incorporating some of your ideas..

2016f.jpg

Nicely done! I think you've maxed out the number of cars that can be switched per train with this revision. But the trade-off was losing a bit of "main line" between yard and town. So maybe some fine adjustment suggestions: If you set a max train length of 10 cars, you could adjust the run around track accordingly. Perhaps shorten a bit at the right hand end to allow 2 GPs (not sure what era?) instead of just one switcher.  Or, if there's still more than 10 cars space in the run around, you could bring the left end switch in a bit to the right to add back a little to the "main line" run.

Down at the yard, you could add a loco release off the middle spur to the back one (against the wall). That way the returning loco(s) can get back around the train to switch the yard. And if you feel like you need an excuse for more engines   ;)     you could add a loco service track off the back track into the corner, bit like you had on V1.0. So now when a train comes back to the yard, the power can escape onto the back track and swap with the second set that was sitting at the service track.  You'd have ~10 cars on the inside track for the next train. ~10 cars would come back on the current train into the middle track, and the back track would be mostly empty, used for the locos to escape and to come and go from the service track. Then you'd switch the yard between middle and inside tracks, and you could block the cuts for the town spots before leaving.   

If you wanted more variety of cars, maybe a shelf above the yard for another 10 or 20 which you could manually swap out between sessions.   

However, please note that these are the ramblings of a switching obsessive so take them with a carload of salt...   ;)

Pete

Edited by GP9u

• RMweb Premium

My test section of celotex surrounded by 3mm MDF is now ready for some track. I intend leaving the foil on and just cutting runs for wires to start with. I have gone for a simple Inglenook layout two different possibilities below. What does anyone think? Dimensions 450mmx1200mm  HO track.

post-2791-0-68707900-1459116178_thumb.jpg

post-2791-0-00891300-1459116238_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipepsi

Martin, only just seen this - had a small idea - can you send me the XTrkCad plan and I'll add my suggestion - Jack( Chacmool at lineone dot net )

Cheers Jack. I knew good ideas would issue forth (ooer)

Plan here for anyone else who is interested..  2016jack.jpg

This plan comes from a discussion on a Yahoo group about scaling HO plans to N. The overall layout is inspired by the Port Thomas & Southern, squashed into a slightly smaller room, with the terminus adapted from the extended version of Ian Rice's Roque Bluffs. It is designed for Atlas code 55. The traffic would be largely based around a fishing port. The main inward loads are fuel and spare parts for ships, steel and cardboard for the cannery. The main outward loads are fresh chilled, frozen and canned fish. A passenger service is provided by a pair of RDCs.

Main line
post-6959-0-43112400-1459419457_thumb.jpg

Staging
post-6959-0-66549400-1459419471_thumb.jpg

Cheers[/size]
David[/size]

• 1 month later...

Hi, attached is a plan for a new HO CN/CPpost-10143-0-57137000-1463222017.jpg layout in my garage room. The room is a bit complicated by having 2 doors at opposite sides to each other at opposing ends. I didn't want more than one lifting section hence an out & back plan. Industrial area/yard is on the right, hidden siding is on the left. Any views/ideas to improve it appreciated, in addition advice is sought on wiring the rtn loop for DCC. Thanks in advance  

My test section of celotex surrounded by 3mm MDF is now ready for some track. I intend leaving the foil on and just cutting runs for wires to start with. I have gone for a simple Inglenook layout two different possibilities below. What does anyone think? Dimensions 450mmx1200mm  HO track.

Second one. ;) It keeps the look of a Main track (the completely straight route) with two spurs off to one side, rather than the first plan which is a bit "messy" to my eyes with a spur either side of the Main. I know US plans aren't always as neat & tidy as UK practice, but they do go for 'practical', & to me it must be easier to deal with cars just on one side of the mainline, rather than having to constantly cross it to work spurs on both sides, if you follow?

The fact the second plan is the same as I used on "Portway Center" (albeit my track was parallel to the boards) has nothing to do with it.... (cue gratuitous picture :jester: )

DSCF0389-1_zpsff8dc8ca.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

For interest, a couple of prototype Inglenooks in Portland OR but neither have been used for some time.

https://goo.gl/maps/L44P3Ca9Up42

https://goo.gl/maps/SN9Ls8ZWgjs

https://goo.gl/maps/ZFyfsBhWXAJ2 (the 3 way turnout is prototypical!)

If you go to map and zoom out, that whole switching district looks fascinating with lots of ideas for layots. This in particular is almost a case of life imitating art.

https://goo.gl/maps/yeY7AHARkBQ2

Cheers

David

• 6 months later...

An idea reposted from Faceplant.

post-6959-0-79069800-1485759411_thumb.jpg

"Hudson Street and Laight Street, St. John's Park Freight Terminal (N.Y.Central & Hudson River RR) Early 1900's."

This could work as a backdrop with the tracks going behind it as far as desired so all the tracks could be switched.

BUT

If you didn't want to switch them and just want to run trains along the street, the building could be low relief. Get some cheap second hand box cars, cut them diagonally and just have them sit there.

Cheers

David

• Like 7

An idea reposted from Faceplant.

attachicon.gifSt.JohnsPark.jpg

"Hudson Street and Laight Street, St. John's Park Freight Terminal (N.Y.Central & Hudson River RR) Early 1900's."

This could work as a backdrop with the tracks going behind it as far as desired so all the tracks could be switched.

BUT

If you didn't want to switch them and just want to run trains along the street, the building could be low relief. Get some cheap second hand box cars, cut them diagonally and just have them sit there.

Cheers

David

Interesting to note that each track under each arch is served by a different track on the street...  The leftmost track on the street serves only the leftmost track under each arch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have small corner in a spare room free and after looking through my Lance Mindheim books I'd love a small switching layout but not sure if I can fit HO scale in or go with N. I have about 1.70m x 1.60m L shape available and ideally don't want to go very wide.  

I've only had N scale before but never a permanent layout just had small 4x2' but never finished it :-(

Switching interests me most or along those lines etc. If I do build something I need to keep it really simple but still fun otherwise it won't get finished !

Edited by SAW

SAW - take a look at the top of this page, (for the basic plan), and again about half-way down for a modified version   http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40946&whichpage=15 It should work without problem as a switcher - the problem might be finding a suitable crossing in N , (I'm using a PECO one in HO) and may be possible to modify to fit into your space inHO, but I suspect it will be too tight

Best

Jack

No reason at all to not use HO in that space. Couple of things to think about - earlier stuff is generally shorter and don't try cramming track onto every inch of the layout! You'll see from LM's ideas that sometimes 'less is more'. I'd be tempted to decide what kind of layout you picture building and operating and then making a decision on scale rather than allowing the scale to dictate the plan?

I agree with Mog - I just gave you a suggestion for a small-ish switching layout that might keep you interested - definitely DON'T try to cram huge quantities of track into finite spaces - that way frustration and disillusion lies! FWIW my HO version of that plan is going to fit in in 96" X 16" (2 x 48"x16" boards). It could shrink further, but the runround starts to look very cramped.

Edited by shortliner

I have about 1.70m x 1.60m L shape available and ideally don't want to go very wide.  

What's that in Old Money; about 5ft 6in or so?

The L-shape would add interest, giving a longer switching lead curving round to a simple Inglenook-type yard. I'd be tempted to do HO in that space, but like others say, it depends what era and stock you want. N would look more spacious of course (still keep a simple plan!) and possibly suit modern, longer stock, and there'd be space to depict more of the Industrial Park, as they tend to be very spread-out in the USA by the looks of it.

That's my next question regarding what to run/era. I'll be starting again with stock and locomotives but this time only want to buy what I really need ! Where do I start regarding finding out what era and location I'd like to replicate  :scratchhead: I have to say I do like the Canadian National livery.

I'd definitely go HO. The curve will present a challenge, but I think that would also be an opportunity. I don't think you'll get much in the way of a run round in, but a modification of LM's LAJ layout/ plan - or even a straight copy - would go well.

If you go early diesel era you'll have 40' cars, and some really nice 4 axle locos to use. But more modern things would be OK so long as you stick to the 4 axle power.

Edited by Zomboid

I've been looking into getting some baseboards made up, two pieces that I can bolt together to make the L shape. Opinions on sundela ? I don't mean without any ply underneath. Is it best just to get a board with ply as the top surface and no sundela or is there something else I should mount to the ply before the track goes down ?

I'd go along with Jordan's (F UnitMad) idea for a track plan. Basically, an HO L-shaped Inglenook arrangement using set track for the curve (Atlas or Peco) and , perhaps, a small end cab switcher and 40ft cars as space is very limited.

Don't see any reason to use Sundeala on top of plywood. You could use cork tiles on top which is useful to pin track temporarily before gluing in place. I personally use MDF topped with cork tiles.

With regard to era, location and choice of railroad, I suggest doing some research until you find out what you really like, try to resist the temptation to impulse buy. (We've all done that!)

Good luck 

Edited by Alcanman

I know a few said go with HO but if I use N scale it's going to give me more space and room, better curves and the option to use longer stock plus I've got some N scale bits still left over. Good idea or not ? I would like to run a Canadian National loco but what other stock could I run with it that won't look out of place ? I f I use CN does this mean I really need to run a more modern layout, not that bothers me ?

If I'm wrong and should go with HO just say  :dontknow:

Edited by SAW

I would like to run a Canadian National loco but what other stock could I run with it that won't look out of place ?

Depends what type of trains you want to run. General freight trains can contain cars from almost any North American railroad. Autoracks seem to be pooled - a train of racks can have cars from 10 or 12 railroads. Grain trains would usually be made up mostly of cars from CN and their subsidiary roads - IC, GT etc. Other unit trains (coal, sulphur etc.) are usually private-owner cars. 

If I use CN does this mean I really need to run a more modern layout, not that bothers me ?

CN was put together from various government-owned and bankrupt privately-owned railways between 1919 and 1923, so it's been around for quite a while. It was completely dieselised by 1960. So you could run steam up on a layout until 1960 (with some excursion steam for some time afterwards), and then all types of diesels from 1960 till now.

Edited by pH

If you like CN black/red (I know I do) then that puts a start date on things, but it's not that restrictive since the noodle dates from 1961.

I'd go with HO because N is just too small and fiddly for me (Though if the presence of American trains is really important, you need space to go for O). It's your train set, if you like N then go for it, I'd just suggest using the space for longer switches rather than a track everywhere setup.