Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

Hi Chris, funnily enough I stumbled upon the MR dawings of the CN newsprint boxcars last night and a similar though occurred, the Chicago Tribune, still with GP15's and space saving, push a boxcar into the building and it disappears into a vertical travereser - an oscale engineering challenge!

Colin

Hi Colin, I've also got that article, you're right on about the idea of using the building as a way of getting boxcars on and off scene. In O scale it would be magnificent. So far I've got pictures of CN, DWP, CV, CP and ONR Newsprint Cars going in and out of the plant, CN and ONR cars seem the most common. The Proto 1000 50' Newsprint Car is the best option I've found to represent this traffic atm, I've got CN, CP and DWP examples. I'm also using Intermountain FMC 50' Cars in CN and ONR livery though I don't think they are prototypical for this traffic. I saw a pair of CV and BCR examples for sale recently on Ebay but they were priced way too high! On Ebay right now there are some HO DWP and PGE versions. PGE is way too early and I have both the DWP examples. I'm trying not to do too much in the way of resprays etc as the whole point of doing this layout is for it to be an alternative to the constant fettling with track and rolling stock in P4. I want to build a layout to a decent standard and enjoy it without getting too much into finescale :O. One question that has been nagging me is regarding the tank cars used by Bloomer Chocolate for the inbound shipping of what I believe is vegetable oil. Do you (or anyone else on RMWEB) have any details on the actual type and owner of the type cars used? Any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Parthia27

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I've got a modified MR plan from the december issue. It may be the plan for my future US layout in my small office/bookshelf room. It would be a double deck layout with a helix on the right side. I added some extra sidings and industry for more switiching potential, and I added a mine branch on the upper level, and a connection to a fiddle yard on the lower level.

post-6872-0-69868300-1323332506_thumb.jpg

post-6872-0-31656900-1323332458_thumb.jpg

Markus

• Like 1

. One question that has been nagging me is regarding the tank cars used by Bloomer Chocolate for the inbound shipping of what I believe is vegetable oil. Do you (or anyone else on RMWEB) have any details on the actual type and owner of the type cars used? Any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - there has recently been some discussion about Blommer Chocolate on The Gauge.com (aka "Big Blue") try this

http://www.the-gauge...orum/search.php and put Blommer Chocolate into the search - It may well be worth asking on there

Jack

Edited by shortliner

And here is the current draft that was arrived with help from Paulus Jas from Amsterdam.

post-8090-0-60129900-1324061401_thumb.png

A description and explanation of the tracks etc appear on my blog, the link for which is in my signature line below.

Edited by Ashley

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

David Barrow of Cat Mountain fame published a 4 part article in late 1996 in MR mag which I built called the South Plains district I built only one half of the plan and it was a superb switching layout. I will try and dig out a plan when I get hom. A few years later around 98? David Pryke built I B&M switching layout set in Boston's docks area built in to a corner about 8x8 feet again absolutely stunning layout wgich became the basis if Kalmbachs city scenery book. Both sets of magazines are worth digging out.

Andrew

• Like 1

David Barrow of Cat Mountain fame published a 4 part article in late 1996 in MR mag which I built called the South Plains district I built only one half of the plan and it was a superb switching layout.

IIRC wasn't that the one where he claimed that the minimum viable space for a layout was an 'L' shape 11ft each leg..?? And with a minimum of 35 car spots on it..??

Gave some of us a good laugh, that did... happy0071.gif

IIRC wasn't that the one where he claimed that the minimum viable space for a layout was an 'L' shape 11ft each leg..?? And with a minimum of 35 car spots on it..??

Mr. Barrow, while brilliant in many aspects of the hobby, does tend to be out on the fringes regarding some aspects of layout design -- as the above indicates. :stinker:

Edited by signalmaintainer

I really like this plan. It's simple and uncluttered. Obviously of Santa Fe heritage as indicated by the Car Location Inventory Control (CLIC*) numbers on each spur. But no reason it could not be moved elsewhere without violating the bounds of plausibility.

*Still used by BNSF.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes thats the one, when I built it I added 2 sector plates at each end and added 2x 2ft sections to both sides of the layout

http://www.blackbear...om/SoPlains.htm

post-8483-0-90278300-1325536287_thumb.jpg

post-8483-0-35015700-1325536297_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

]This is a bitsa layout which would fit a space I have at home. If further space became available, ie the loft, then the other bits could be built. As it stands, it would make quite a nice switcher pike, and a bit of a change from industry themed pikes.

post-238-0-16982300-1327319924_thumb.jpg

It's very slightly modified from the actual Guadalupe yard in California, on the old Espee Coast Line. As such, you can switch with anything from MP15ACs to Tunnel Motors. The SMVR uses an old GP9, but again you could substitute almost anything you fancied.

If anyone's interested, I can stick the other end of the yard up so you can see how it all fits together.

• Like 1

Ok since you asked so nicely!

Here is the complete plan, south and north ends of the yard combined.

post-238-0-53227800-1327593279_thumb.jpg

I've compressed the length of the yard, but not by a huge amount. All tracks are present and correct for current operations. To backdate it to the 70s, the House Track should reconnect with the main south of the depot, at that time the grain silo spur came off the house track not the main. There were a number of packing houses where the switcher track is - this track is the truncated lead for those spurs, they probably disappeared in the early 70s with the end of the espee's monopoly on fruit hauls in this area.

The north yard ladder should really utilise Y switches, but Peco don't yet do a #6 Y. Shame, as it would help curve the north end of the yard more easily. All mainline and siding switches should be #8s (better yet, #10s)

Traffic flows are pretty interesting. There was a range of through traffic to and from LA, several locals originating or terminating at Guadalupe and plenty of local switching which required a switcher set (usually pairs of GP40s, but occasionally SD9Es or MP15ACs) to be rotated in and out of Guadalupe on the Saturday morning WCGUM trains.

1980s Coastline traffic.pdf

The plan is 'doable' if you have a loft space, or would make a nice project for a club who want to build an authentic US layout as a step above the often seen 'it's American because its got American trains on it' pikes that used to infest certain magazines.

edit: updated the plan to correct north end errors

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2

Hi,

Firstly, I like to say what a great idea (thanks Jack) to have a Track Plans thread. Track Plans are such a great source of inspiration.

As I'm gradually getting to grips with Anyrail (thanks Talltim), I've started to put together some plans.

Thought I might as well add my current layout CSX Palmetto Spur, which has been well documented on RMWeb.

post-7898-0-93755800-1320581041.jpg

Next, I'm currently at the early stages of planning a new layout and looking for something a bit different, I found a small CSX branch

off the Amtrak main line at Deland,FL about 30 miles north of Orlando. The branch serves a facility which receives plastic pellets in

covered hoppers. Here's a pic

post-7898-0-86016900-1320581534.jpg

I'm planning to use Walthers 'Magic Pan Bakeries' as the basis of the plastics facility, as the kit includes 2 sets of hopper unloading pipes

post-7898-0-01186300-1320581861_thumb.jpg

Also, in order for the plan to be different from Palmetto, I've included a run-around and a trailing spur serving a Food Processor.

post-7898-0-87046700-1320582149.jpg

Like Palmetto the plan is 9ft x 15ins, using Peco Code 100 with medium radius turnouts. I've still got to do lots more research etc, so

it's unlikely that this project will commence until 2012

regards,

Mal

Hi,

After reading Lance Mindheim's new book, I went back to this layout plan to see if I could dispense with the run-around which is very short and un-prototypical.

This is what I came up with, the idea being that the run-around is further along the line, off-stage. I've also added an extra spur at the Food Processor which will

be dedicated for tank cars only. The train is staged on the track in front of the non-rail served warehouse and loco pulls in cars to be switched at the Food Processor,

returns to staging and cars removed from the layout, to be replaced by cars which will be shoved into the Plastics facility and switched.

post-7898-0-45964100-1327409760.jpg

regards,

Mal

• Like 2

I liked Lance's comment that some shortlines will service spots with the engine at one end one day and then the other way around on a different day. Where he was discussing the loop being "offstage" (in protoype terms miles away).

Best, Pete.

Expanding on that topic, there was a recent issue of Railfan and Railroad magazine that featured an article on the current New York and Atlantic RR operations on Long Island ; as Lance has said , if there is a spur in the opposite direction , often the crew will switch it on the way back from their destination , especially if the run round loop is elsewhere , or in modelling terms offstage.

So if you have a "through" layout with staging at either end , after switching all the industries with spurs laying in one direction , the train could proceed offstage , then re-appear with the locomotive at the other end and then switch spurs facing in the other direction.

Over Christmas I had to do a lot of sitting around holding a sleeping baby so I drew a trackplan to the UK Freemo specs.

6757517081_7c51773220_o.png

It is based on Lawrence MA, but with the new station to the east of the original station cut off and one of the spurs converted to a siding (which I think it had been years ago)

Contrary to most plans here, its not about the industries, there is only one, B & D Advanced Warehousing, who actually have a pic of a boxcar in their warehouse on their website!

The two links off the mainline are in reality short spurs to single industries, but are the remains of lines to other towns, however Freemo allows themto go whereever you want!

The station platform is accessed by a subway from the road underbridge, it is served by MBTA trains and the Downeaster also passes through.

I got bored before I added all the buildings, hence the bare areas at the southern end.

I don't see myself building this, but I think its an interesting counterpoint to most US designed US layouts and UK designed US layouts.

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 9

Hi Colin, I've also got that article, you're right on about the idea of using the building as a way of getting boxcars on and off scene. In O scale it would be magnificent. So far I've got pictures of CN, DWP, CV, CP and ONR Newsprint Cars going in and out of the plant, CN and ONR cars seem the most common. The Proto 1000 50' Newsprint Car is the best option I've found to represent this traffic atm, I've got CN, CP and DWP examples. I'm also using Intermountain FMC 50' Cars in CN and ONR livery though I don't think they are prototypical for this traffic. I saw a pair of CV and BCR examples for sale recently on Ebay but they were priced way too high! On Ebay right now there are some HO DWP and PGE versions. PGE is way too early and I have both the DWP examples. I'm trying not to do too much in the way of resprays etc as the whole point of doing this layout is for it to be an alternative to the constant fettling with track and rolling stock in P4. I want to build a layout to a decent standard and enjoy it without getting too much into finescale :O. One question that has been nagging me is regarding the tank cars used by Bloomer Chocolate for the inbound shipping of what I believe is vegetable oil. Do you (or anyone else on RMWEB) have any details on the actual type and owner of the type cars used? Any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - another post has just surfaced re Blommer Chocolate http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5189&p=92407#p92407 might be worth a look

Here's a variation on my ATSF Lubbock Switcher.

post-238-0-53875400-1328289763_thumb.jpg

I've traded a little authenticity to make ops more interesting. The staging traverser is a trick I'm uncomfortable with, but I can tolerate it here as it adds much needed 'off stage' capacity. As most of the ops would be focussed right of 'stage centre', the off stage bit would be over your left shoulder and so not too noticeable.

Would be great if someone ever built one of these... hell, it would be great if I built one of these...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2