Track Plans for North American Layouts

trisonic

I am considering a similar On30 layout with very similar features.  Mine will loosely be based on Maine 2' gauge practice and my research suggests that US (narrow gauge) terminii were pretty similar the UK branch line terminus practice.  It will be a small layout 6'x2' with 3' turntable/fiddle yard.  It will feature a 9" turntable acting as the loop release and having a single line loco shed.  There will also be a warehouse/freight dock on one siding and a station building on the loop.  Also a car siding and probably a logging car siding.

The reason for both turntables is to accommodate a single cab diesel railcar towing a trailer and I don't want to handle the stock in the fiddle yard - I'll pretend there is a wye somewhere that turns the whole train.......

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I am considering a similar On30 layout with very similar features.  Mine will loosely be based on Maine 2' gauge practice and my research suggests that US (narrow gauge) terminii were pretty similar the UK branch line terminus practice.  It will be a small layout 6'x2' with 3' turntable/fiddle yard.  It will feature a 9" turntable acting as the loop release and having a single line loco shed.  There will also be a warehouse/freight dock on one siding and a station building on the loop.  Also a car siding and probably a logging car siding.

The reason for both turntables is to accommodate a single cab diesel railcar towing a trailer and I don't want to handle the stock in the fiddle yard - I'll pretend there is a wye somewhere that turns the whole train.......

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for your reply, that's good to know! I hadn't considered using a turntable loop release: a great space-saver. I know there were quite a few terminii in Ireland with them but didn't know about them in the US. Wyes seem to have been quite common, so your fiddle yard turntable premise seems perfectly plausible.

Next questions for those that know: did the D&RGW have a "house style" for its buildings? As mentioned, I'm thinking mainly station/depot building and freight house, but what other minor buildings could there be?

Thanks!

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was reading through some old model railroader magazines and found this urban plan which looks interesting.  The mid-Atlantic and Western, scenic section is 10' x 2'.

rb0501_a.jpg.c9c00d1c6299916622f2a9008acd05f3.jpg

I think I'd swap the coal depot for a station so I can run some commuter trains.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 19:48, simon b said:

I was reading through some old model railroader magazines and found this urban plan which looks interesting.  The mid-Atlantic and Western, scenic section is 10' x 2'.

rb0501_a.jpg.c9c00d1c6299916622f2a9008acd05f3.jpg

I think I'd swap the coal depot for a station so I can run some commuter trains.

Some possibilities, depending on what one wants to do with this layout, if one wanted to keep the coal dealer.

If keeping it as a through layout then perhaps the left side could be adjusted slightly and a platform between the tracks for a commuter station, with stairs down to Ninth Street.

But if you want to go single ended with a fiddle yard then this sort-of resembles a UK Minories layout - so again create your commuter station on the left end.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2022 at 01:40, mdvle said:

Some possibilities, depending on what one wants to do with this layout, if one wanted to keep the coal dealer.

If keeping it as a through layout then perhaps the left side could be adjusted slightly and a platform between the tracks for a commuter station, with stairs down to Ninth Street.

But if you want to go single ended with a fiddle yard then this sort-of resembles a UK Minories layout - so again create your commuter station on the left end.

I've been thinking more about this, like you say putting a station at the left side of the layout is a better idea. If we were to make Ninth street an over bridge to create a scenic break, we can then have the platform disappear under it to disguise it's short length.   Hunterspoint avenue on the Long Island railroad seems to be the perfect prototype.

spacer.png

40922038791_7d646a9d14_b.jpg

• Like 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...